Troubleshooting iPod Problems
Ask iLounge offers readers the opportunity to get answers to their iPod-, iPhone-, iPad-, iTunes-, or Apple TV-related questions from a member of the iLounge editorial team. We'll answer several questions here each week, and of course, you can always get help with more immediate concerns from the iLounge Discussion Forums. Submit your questions for consideration using our Ask iLounge Submit Form. We reserve the right to edit questions for grammar, spelling, and length.
Q: I’m having problems with my new iPod. I have followed all of the instructions to set it up, but it’s not doing what it should.
A: It’s an unfortunate reality that out of the millions of iPods sold, some are going to have manufacturing defects or other problems. Fortunately, all iPod models come with a standard one-year warranty.
The key thing to remember is that in most cases, setting up an iPod should not be a complicated experience, and many of our readers mistakenly assume that if their iPods are not responding properly, they are the ones doing something wrong. Generally, the only exception to this is that problems with your computer can certainly affect your ability to connect and synchronize your iPod—if the computer cannot detect the device, then you will have a hard time getting it working. This can usually be diagnosed by simply trying to connect your iPod to a different computer, however.
If you are fortunate to live near an Apple Store, it’s definitely worth taking your iPod in to the local “Genius Bar” and having them take a look at it. This is a service that Apple provides as part of the iPod warranty, and in the very least they can help to determine whether or not the iPod itself is the problem. Diagnosing problems with your computer (unless it’s a Mac) will be beyond their scope, but even eliminating the iPod as a cause can help you focus on the real problem. Further, if the iPod is defective in some way, they can generally replace it for you on the spot.
Our article, Contacting Apple and Others For iPod, iTunes & Accessory Fixes provides some guidelines on how to troubleshoot your iPod, document your situation, and then contact Apple (or a third-party accessory manufacturer) to get assistance with your problem.
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?
- How do I keep my iPhone calls from ringing on my Mac?
- Why doesn’t Traffic show up on my Today Notifications Screen?
- Why doesn’t my iPhone reconnect to Wi-Fi after I turn it on?
- Why can’t I see the iPad-style landscape view on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- Analyst claims wireless charging will be included in ‘iPhone 8,’ but rules out Energous as provider
- Apple claims EU made ‘fundamental errors’ in calculating $14B Irish tax ruling
- Analyst: ‘iPhone 8’ to feature ‘revolutionary’ front-facing camera with 3D sensors
- Apple releases third betas for iOS 10.3, tvOS 10.2, and watchOS 3.2 to developers
- Happy Presidents’ Day from iLounge
- Apple plans to begin iPhone manufacturing in India starting with the iPhone SE
- Rumor: iPhone 8 to eliminate Touch ID in favor of Facial Recognition
- Report: Apple working on 4K for next-generation Apple TV
- Apple announces WWDC 2017
- Apple patent points to possible new Smart Keyboard with dedicated ‘Share’ and ‘Emoji’ keys
- 1More Triple Driver In-Ear Headphones
- Revogi Smart Lightbulb, Smart Lightstrip, Smart Candle + Smart Meter Plug
- Audeze iSine10 In-Ear Headphones
- MOCACARE MOCACuff Connected Blood Pressure Monitor
- Apple AirPods
- Elgato Eve Motion
- Olloclip Core Lens Set for iPhone 7/7 Plus
- Logitech Pop Home Switch Starter Pack
- Elgato Eve Light Switch
- iHome iPLWBT5 Docking Clock Radio for iPhone and Apple Watch
- Top Five: The Best Products for Building a Smart Home with HomeKit
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of watchOS 3
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of tvOS 10
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 10
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Photos gets Advanced Computer Vision
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Music app delivers ‘clarity and simplicity’
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Maps gets a major redesign
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 shakes up the user experience
- Inside the betas: watchOS 3 promises a real speed boost
- Inside the betas: A sneak peek at what’s new in tvOS 10