2007 iPod models and speakers
Ask iLounge offers readers the opportunity to get answers to their iPod-, iPhone-, iPad-, iTunes-, or Apple TV-related questions from a member of the iLounge editorial team. We'll answer several questions here each week, and of course, you can always get help with more immediate concerns from the iLounge Discussion Forums. Submit your questions for consideration using our Ask iLounge Submit Form. We reserve the right to edit questions for grammar, spelling, and length.
Q: Do you know if the Altec Lansing iM600 iPod speaker system is compatible with the new iPod Nano 3rd Generation with Video. The Apple Store says that it is not but Altec Lansing claims on their website that this speaker system works with all iPod models. I have not tried it yet for fear of damaging my new Nano. I checked out your review and it says that it is compatible with the nano, but it does not specify which models. I really liked the demo that I heard and would like to purchase one. Any help you could provide would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
A: For the purposes of audio playback, the iM600 speaker system is compatible with all of the 2007 iPod models, and even the iPhone (although you will receive a prompt about enabling “Airplane Mode” on the iPhone, as with most other iPod speakers).
The only function of the iM600 that does not work with the 2007 iPod models is the “Video Out” port, which may be why this particular speaker system is not being listed by Apple as compatible. As we have discussed in previous week’s columns, the new iPod models require specific new accessories to enable the video out functionality, and the iM does not include the necessary authentication chip to enable this feature.
Realistically, however, video output is clearly not a core feature for a speaker system such as this, and it’s likely not going to be an issue for most users. All audio playback related functions of the iM600 work fine with all of the 2007 iPod models, including the remote control functions.
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?
- How do I keep my iPhone calls from ringing on my Mac?
- Why doesn’t Traffic show up on my Today Notifications Screen?
- Why doesn’t my iPhone reconnect to Wi-Fi after I turn it on?
- Why can’t I see the iPad-style landscape view on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- Iovine fuels speculation about Apple’s interest in scripted TV shows
- Report: ‘iPhone 8’ to include upgraded water resistance
- U.S. appeals court resurrects App Store antitrust lawsuit against Apple
- Apple increases maximum tvOS app size to 4GB
- Apple releases fourth iOS 10.2.1 beta
- Apple looking to produce original TV content for Apple Music subscribers
- FBI releases heavily redacted information about cracking iPhone
- Apple partners with Tresorit to offer encryption option to CareKit developers
- ESPN’s iOS apps add support for Single Sign-On
- Spigen AirPods Stand coming in mid-February
- Revogi Smart Lightbulb, Smart Lightstrip, Smart Candle + Smart Meter Plug
- Audeze iSine10 In-Ear Headphones
- MOCACARE MOCACuff Connected Blood Pressure Monitor
- Apple AirPods
- Elgato Eve Motion
- Olloclip Core Lens Set for iPhone 7/7 Plus
- Logitech Pop Home Switch Starter Pack
- Elgato Eve Light Switch
- iHome iPLWBT5 Docking Clock Radio for iPhone and Apple Watch
- Brydge 12.9 iPad Pro Keyboard
- Top Five: The Best Products for Building a Smart Home with HomeKit
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of watchOS 3
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of tvOS 10
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 10
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Photos gets Advanced Computer Vision
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Music app delivers ‘clarity and simplicity’
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Maps gets a major redesign
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 shakes up the user experience
- Inside the betas: watchOS 3 promises a real speed boost
- Inside the betas: A sneak peek at what’s new in tvOS 10