2011 Digital Experience Preview: BlueAnt, B&W Zeppelin Air, PowerMat + More
Every year, Pepcom holds a pre-CES preview event called Digital Experience that enables select members of the media to check out small portions of the product lineups from a wide collection of different companies, including official CES exhibitors and non-exhibitors. Here are the noteworthy new Apple products that were shown at the event; our photos from the table-sized booths are here as part of our larger 2011 CES gallery.
In addition to the previously First Looked inMotion Air ($200) wireless Bluetooth speaker system, Altec Lansing showed the iPad-specific speaker and stand combination Octiv Stage ($150) with a reclining and rotating arm, plus the previously reviewed Octiv Duo.
Demonstrated a new second-edition update to its Vue personal video monitoring system, complete with longer-lived twin-battery cameras that have motion sensors integrated, new stands for easier positioning on flat surfaces and near windows, and even a weatherproof version for use outdoors. Frame rate and web UI improvements are being made, as well.
Showed the S4 Voice-Controlled Car Speakerphone with voice dialing, voice answering, announcement of your caller’s name, and app compatibility, with 20-hour talk time. Also showed a new pair of leather-clad, nice-looking Bluetooth wireless headphones called T1, planned for release and pricing later this year.
Bowers & Wilkins
Debuted Zeppelin Air, the redesigned version of its flagship iPod/iPhone speaker Zeppelin, which preserves the same body size, shape, and footprint while radically redesigning the interior components and making body tweaks. Air loses the chrome rear casing of the Zeppelin in favor of a glossy black plastic, adds Wi-Fi hardware for AirPlay compatibility, an Ethernet port for those who prefer to connect it to a router via a wire, and moves the power indicator to the face of the iPod/iPhone dock. Inside, the five drivers now all have their own amplifiers, and have been tweaked for what the company says is superior sound quality. The $600 price tag remains the same as the first Zeppelin’s; it’s shipping in March.
Case-Mate debuted a collection of new designer iPhone 4 cases, including one with dots of an astroturf-like texture, and Stacks ($35), a case made from colored pieces that can be reassembled into a design of your preference.
In addition to PowerStand for iPad—a handsome metal stand with integrated charging capabilities for the first-generation iPad, capable of tilting and rotating, Mophie showed Juice Pack Pulse, which creates haptic feedback for games by listening to the audio and choosing different frequencies to use for jarring physical effects. Also showed new colors of the Juice Pack Air and Juice Pack Plus cases, and its Intuit-co-branded credit card reader for the iPhone.
Debuted the MM03i and MM04i that we’ve previously First Looked, as well as MM05, a newly reshaped version of its Skype-ready telephone accessory that has more modern lines and a $40 price.
Focused on a series of half-pill-shaped speakers for the iPod, iPhone, and iPad, including a huge aluminum-bodied speaker for iPad ($500), a smaller metallic plastic version ($300) with Bluetooth wireless features, and the smallest plastic one in the same shape for the iPod and iPhone ($150).
Besides a windshield-mounted car charging mount called the Powermat Car Charger, Powermat showed generation-two iPhone inductive charging solutions, and teased generation-three versions that are on display at its booth. Noted that its charging plates will be built into upcoming GM cars, with other partnerships planned for the future.
Officially debuted the new CandyShell View—a version of the much-admired two-layer iPhone 4 case, now with a retractable video stand built into the back—and the iPod nano-ready Time to Rock, a soft plastic wristband enclosure for the sixth-generation nano, complete with an armband to hold your headphone cords in place.
Showed InCharge Mobile battery packs with 2300mAh rechargeable cells for iPhone 4 and iPhone 3G/3GS, as well as the second version of its Tango X2 speaker called Tango X2D—a slightly more expensive version that includes an external iPad dock ($200).
- Live From CE Week 2014: Brand New iPad, iPhone + Mac Accessories!
- iLounge’s 2014 CES Best of Show Awards: iPad, iPhone, iPod + Mac
- Ten Things You Didn’t Know About Apple’s 2013 iPad, Air + mini Lineup
- CE Week 2013: The iPad, iPhone, iPod + Mac Show Report
- iLounge’s 2013 CES Best of Show Awards: iPad, iPhone + iPod Gear
- Ten Things You Didn’t Know About Apple’s iPad mini + iPad (4th-Gen)
If you have a comment, news tip, advertising inquiry, or coverage request, a question about iPods/iPhones/iPad or accessories, or if you sell or market iPod/iPhone/iPad products or services, read iLounge's Comments + Questions policies before posting, and fully identify yourself if you do. We will delete comments containing advertising, astroturfing, trolling, personal attacks, offensive language, or other objectionable content, then ban and/or publicly identify violators.
- Microsoft, Yahoo hope to replace Google for Safari default search?
- T-Mobile required to fully disclose throttled data speeds
- Steve Jobs biopic picked up by Universal, Fassbender to star
- Handbrake updated to 0.10, adds new encoders + more
- Report: ‘Deep Organizational Issues’ at Apple affecting iCloud progress
- Apple announces Product(RED) Gift Cards for Black Friday
- Apple unveils Product(RED) apps for World AIDS Day 2014
- Apps of the Week: Sago Mini Road Trip, Football Manager Handheld 2015, Deliveries 6.0 + more
- Square plans to accept Apple Pay in 2015
- Google settles patent litigation with Apple’s Rockstar consortium
- Verus Case Damda Slide for iPhone 6 Plus
- Heckler Design @Rest Stand for iPad (2014)
- Kerf Case Wood Cases for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- Urban Armor Gear Folio for iPhone 6 Plus
- ZeroChroma FluxStand-Compatible Car Vent Mount + Reflective Armband
- Griffin Slim Folio and Survivor All-Terrain for iPad Air 2
- ZeroChroma Slide-Mount Combo Pack for iPad Folio-Slide Cases
- G-Project G-Go Outdoor Wireless Speaker (2014)
- SteelSeries Stratus XL Gaming Controller
- Belkin/Jarden Mr. Coffee 10-Cup Smart Coffeemaker
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 8.1
- An Easy Guide To Setting Up + Using Apple Pay In iOS 8.1
- Ten Things You Didn’t Know About iPad Air 2 + iPad mini 3
- Mind The Gap: What’s iPad’s Role In An iPhone 6 (Plus) World?
- Editorial: Why I Switched To T-Mobile (And You Might, Too)
- The Early Guide To Apple Watch Apps
- iLounge’s Top iPhone 6 + iPhone 6 Plus Case Picks (Fall 2014)
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 8.0
- Multi-Editorial: On Apple’s iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus + Apple Watch
- What’s New In Apple TV 7.0