Manually downloading iTunes Match content on iPad
Ask iLounge offers readers the opportunity to get answers to their iPod-, iPhone-, iPad-, iTunes-, or Apple TV-related questions from a member of the iLounge editorial team. We'll answer several questions here each week, and of course, you can always get help with more immediate concerns from the iLounge Discussion Forums. Submit your questions for consideration using our Ask iLounge Submit Form. We reserve the right to edit questions for grammar, spelling, and length.
Q: I just read your recent articles on iTunes Match, but I can’t seem to figure out how I download entire albums or playlists to my iPad in iOS 6? I’m not seeing any options for this.
A: The iPad Music app is a little bit different from the iPhone and iPod touch version in this regard. Not only does it still provide the ability to delete entire albums from the locally downloaded storage, but the manual downloading options are a little bit different as well.
For example, to download an entire album from iTunes Match on the iPad, you must start from the actual Albums view, selecting the album from there. In this case, you will see the iCloud download button immediately below the album artwork.
Unlike on the iPhone and iPod touch, this option does not appear when browsing albums by artist, nor is there any option to download all of the tracks by a given artist.
Downloading all of the tracks in a playlist, however, does work more or less the same way as on the iPhone and iPod touch; simply scroll down to the bottom of the playlist where the iCloud download button should appear.
Although the iPad displays Genius Mixes alongside the playlists, however, this option only works for actual playlists—Genius, smart, or normal; there is no way to manually download Genius Mixes like you can on the iPhone and iPod touch, although as with any other iTunes Match track, any tracks you actually play from a Genius Mix will be downloaded and stored on the device.
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?
- How do I keep my iPhone calls from ringing on my Mac?
- Why doesn’t Traffic show up on my Today Notifications Screen?
- Why doesn’t my iPhone reconnect to Wi-Fi after I turn it on?
- Why can’t I see the iPad-style landscape view on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- Invoxia adds Amazon Alexa to Triby
- Apple provides more details on new Apple Music API
- Apple Music for Android adds music videos, Family Plan support
- Icahn pulls out of Apple over China concerns
- Apple launches CareKit, with four apps debuting today
- Alleged schematics for iPhone 7 ‘Pro’ show up in Japanese magazine
- Nintendo bringing Fire Emblem, Animal Crossing to iOS
- FBI will not disclose San Bernardino iPhone hack
- Notes from Apple’s Q2 2016 earnings call
- Apple Q2 results: $50.6B revenue, 51M iPhones, 10M iPads sold
- August Doorbell Cam
- August Smart Lock HomeKit enabled + Smart Keypad
- ecobee3 HomeKit-enabled smart Wi-Fi thermostat
- Zagg Now Cam
- Yantouch EyE Portable Wireless Speaker
- Netatmo Wind Gauge
- Incipio Stashback for iPhone 6/6s
- Schlage Sense Smart Deadbolt with HomeKit support
- ClamCase ClamCase Pro for iPad mini 4
- Brydge BrydgeMini II Keyboard for iPad mini 4
- Filling the Gap: A look at third-party HomeKit apps
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of tvOS 9.2
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 9.3
- Opinion: Why Apple needs a dedicated HomeKit app
- Inside the betas: What’s new in iOS 9.3 and tvOS 9.2 (Updated)
- Life with HomeKit: Our experiences with Apple’s home automation system
- Under the Radar: 10 ‘hidden’ details about the new Apple TV
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 9.0
- Under the Radar: A closer look at smaller iPhone 6s and iPhone 6s Plus changes
- A First Look at iOS 9’s Transit in Apple Maps (Updated for watchOS 2)