Problems Syncing and Downloading Podcasts on iOS
Ask iLounge offers readers the opportunity to get answers to their iPod-, iPhone-, iPad-, iTunes-, or Apple TV-related questions from a member of the iLounge editorial team. We'll answer several questions here each week, and of course, you can always get help with more immediate concerns from the iLounge Discussion Forums. Submit your questions for consideration using our Ask iLounge Submit Form. We reserve the right to edit questions for grammar, spelling, and length.
Q: The last few paragraphs of your article on Auto-deleting Episodes in iOS Podcasts App refer to things not working as expected and some syncing and downloading issues. I’m experiencing this and thought I could fix them by unsubscribing in iTunes and only maintaining the subscription within the Podcast app, but that didn’t seem to help. I suspect there’s a file somewhere, either on the phone or on my MacBook that’s screwing things up. Short of completely uninstalling iTunes on the MacBook and the Podcast app on the phone, then reinstalling and starting from scratch, is there any way to get the app to behave the way I tell it to via its settings for sync and save?
A: It is unlikely that there is anything in iTunes on your MacBook that is causing problems with your iOS device, although you should ensure that you have actually disabled Podcast syncing entirely from iTunes, as opposed to simply unsubscribing. To do this, go into your Podcasts settings for your iPhone, iPad or iPod touch and ensure that the Sync Podcasts option is completely unchecked.
This will effectively break the connection between iTunes and your iOS device for handling podcasts, removing any podcast episodes that were previously transferred onto your device via iTunes, although you can of course simply re-download those manually in the Podcasts app directly. Any new episodes downloaded by the Podcasts app on your device will also no longer be transferred back to iTunes automatically.
The problem here is that if a Podcast subscription is still being synced from iTunes, the Podcasts app will assume that it should get new content via iTunes rather than automatically syncing new content over-the-air. This happens regardless of whether you are actually subscribed to the Podcast in iTunes, as the subscription status isn’t actually communicated between iTunes and your iOS device.
If this doesn’t solve the problem by itself, it may still be necessary to either toggle auto-downloading off and back on within the affected podcast subscription(s) or remove them from the app entirely and resubscribe. As a worst-case scenario, it may be necessary to delete the Podcasts app entirely and start over from scratch, but this shouldn’t normally be the case. You definitely shouldn’t need to worry about reinstalling iTunes on your MacBook, since as long as you’re not syncing Podcasts to your device, iTunes otherwise has no effect on the Podcasts app or its content.
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?
- How do I keep my iPhone calls from ringing on my Mac?
- Why doesn’t Traffic show up on my Today Notifications Screen?
- Why doesn’t my iPhone reconnect to Wi-Fi after I turn it on?
- Why can’t I see the iPad-style landscape view on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- Report: Some third-party repairs ‘bricking’ iPhones with iOS 9
- Report: Apple to bid on NFL Thursday Night Football streaming rights
- Apple to begin taking broken iPhones for trade-in, offer in-store screen protector installation
- Apple ordered to pay $625M to VirnetX in patent case
- Apple Pay reaches 2 million retail locations
- Apple acquires security company LegbaCore
- Zagg to acquire Mophie for $100 million
- Report: iPhone 7 to include flush camera lens, drop rear antenna bands
- Report: iPhone 5se, iPad Air 3 set for March 15 unveil
- Alleged iPad Air 3 drawing shows Smart Connector, four speakers, camera flash
- Gumdrop Cases DropTech Case for iPad Pro
- Edifier MP700 Rave Portable Bluetooth Speaker
- Just Mobile HoverDock for Apple Watch + HoverDock for iPhone
- VRS Design Dandy Layered Case for iPad Pro
- Just Mobile TENC for iPad Pro
- Native Union DOCK Lightning
- Native Union DOCK for Apple Watch
- Hitcase Pro+ Action Pack and Snap for iPhone 6/6s
- Urban Armor Gear Trooper for iPhone 6/6s
- NEBO CaseBrite for iPhone 6 Plus/6s Plus
- Inside the betas: What’s new in iOS 9.3 and tvOS 9.2 (Updated)
- Life with HomeKit: Our experiences with Apple’s home automation system
- Under the Radar: 10 ‘hidden’ details about the new Apple TV
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 9.0
- Under the Radar: A closer look at smaller iPhone 6s and iPhone 6s Plus changes
- A First Look at iOS 9’s Transit in Apple Maps (Updated for watchOS 2)
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iTunes 12.2
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 8.4 + Apple Music
- CE Week 2015: IK Multimedia, Monowear’s Apple Watch bands + More
- Live From CE Week 2015: Brand New iPad, iPhone + Mac Accessories!