Deleting apps used on multiple devices
Ask iLounge offers readers the opportunity to get answers to their iPod-, iPhone-, iPad-, iTunes-, or Apple TV-related questions from a member of the iLounge editorial team. We'll answer several questions here each week, and of course, you can always get help with more immediate concerns from the iLounge Discussion Forums. Submit your questions for consideration using our Ask iLounge Submit Form. We reserve the right to edit questions for grammar, spelling, and length.
Q: I have the same game app on my iPad and my iPhone. If I delete the iPhone version will the iPad one be deleted too? I’m not logged into Game Centre but do use the same Apple ID for both devices. I have iCloud enabled on my iPhone but not on my iPad.
A: The short answer is no. Applications deleted on one iOS device are never deleted from your other devices, regardless of whether they share a common iTunes Store, Game Center, or iCloud account.
The only time that deleting an app will potentially remove it from your other devices is if you delete it from your iTunes library and you are syncing applications from that library to one or more iOS devices. When syncing apps with iTunes, your library is considered authoritative in much the same way as for other types of content; if you remove a music track or movie from your iTunes library, it will also be removed from any other devices that you syncing with that library. Note that this will include applications that you’ve downloaded directly onto your device, but only if you are syncing apps with your iTunes library in general.
Deleting an app will of course remove all of that application’s data from your device as part of this process, but it will not affect any data stored on other devices for that app. Further, any data stored in iCloud will be left alone; you will need to remove that data manually if you are in fact deleting an app from all of your devices and no longer want that data stored in your iCloud account.
For games that use Apple’s Game Center, you will also be given the option of removing the app from your Game Center profile when deleting it. You should normally choose the Keep option here if you’re still planning to reinstall the game or continue using it on other devices with the same Game Center account.
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?
- How do I keep my iPhone calls from ringing on my Mac?
- Why doesn’t Traffic show up on my Today Notifications Screen?
- Why doesn’t my iPhone reconnect to Wi-Fi after I turn it on?
- Why can’t I see the iPad-style landscape view on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- More iPhone 6s devices affected by shutdown bug; iOS update coming
- Apple releases sixth beta of iOS 10.2 to developers
- Developers pushing back against abusers of Apple’s App Store refund policy
- Apple lobbies for shared data, more public road access to test autonomous driving systems
- Apple Store app update allows purchases from Apple Watch
- Apple releases fifth beta of iOS 10.2 to developers
- Apple reveals cause of unexpected iPhone 6s shutdowns
- Report: 99 percent of fake Apple chargers found to be unsafe
- Apple offering battery replacements for iPhone 6s models with ‘unexpected shutdown issues’ (Updated)
- Report: Fitbit to acquire Pebble
- iHome iZBT10 Zenergy Bedside Sleep Therapy Speaker
- Twelve South HiRise Duet for Apple Watch and iPhone
- IK Multimedia iLoud Micro Monitor
- JBL Under Armour Sport Wireless Heart Rate Headphones
- Edifier e235 Luna E Speaker System
- Clamcase ClamCase+ for 9.7” iPad Pro
- Scosche BoomBottle H2O+ Waterproof Wireless Speaker
- Thermos Connected Hydration Bottle with Smart Lid
- Beats Solo3 Wireless On-Ear Headphones
- Creative iRoar Go Portable Bluetooth Speaker
- Top Five: The Best Products for Building a Smart Home with HomeKit
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of watchOS 3
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of tvOS 10
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 10
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Photos gets Advanced Computer Vision
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Music app delivers ‘clarity and simplicity’
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Maps gets a major redesign
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 shakes up the user experience
- Inside the betas: watchOS 3 promises a real speed boost
- Inside the betas: A sneak peek at what’s new in tvOS 10