Gapless Playback in iTunes 11
Ask iLounge offers readers the opportunity to get answers to their iPod-, iPhone-, iPad-, iTunes-, or Apple TV-related questions from a member of the iLounge editorial team. We'll answer several questions here each week, and of course, you can always get help with more immediate concerns from the iLounge Discussion Forums. Submit your questions for consideration using our Ask iLounge Submit Form. We reserve the right to edit questions for grammar, spelling, and length.
Q: Has Apple removed support for gapless playback in iTunes 11? I’ve noticed that the Part of a Gapless Album option has disappeared, and although my existing gapless albums still seem to work okay, I’m not sure exactly how to deal with any new music I add in the future if I want it to play gaplessly, since this setting is no longer there. Does this mean I have to buy all of my gapless music from the iTunes Store now or is there some other hidden setting that I’m missing here?
A: Actually, the Part of a Gapless Album setting in iTunes has never had anything directly to do with enabling gapless playback, although the name obviously sparked some confusion and may explain why Apple chose to remove it.
Gapless playback is determined automatically when you import a CD, based on whether the original CD is gapless or not, and iTunes has actually never provided any way to manually enable gapless playback for a given album or set of tracks. This is also why tracks acquired from sources other than the iTunes Store or original gapless CDs don’t necessarily play back gaplessly, even if they’re otherwise from a gapless album.
The only thing that the Part of a Gapless Album option for a track in iTunes has ever done is to allow the user to disable the crossfading feature between specific tracks.
Logically, this is something that iTunes should have always been able to handle automatically, since if it knows that a track is supposed to use gapless playback, it also already knows to disable crossfading. In fact, this is exactly how iTunes 11 now handles gapless albums—crossfading is always disabled for those albums. In fact, the Part of a Gapless Album option in older versions of iTunes was really only useful for turning OFF gapless playback for a given set of tracks in favour of crossfading.
It’s also important to keep in mind that even gapless albums will only play gaplessly when played back in the standard album order. If you enable shuffle mode or mix these tracks into a playlist in a different order, they will be played with the normal small gaps between the tracks.
The bottom line is that iTunes 11 continues to handle gapless albums as it always has. The only impact that the removal of the Part of a Gapless Album option has is that users will no longer be able to choose whether to override gapless playback with crossfading when listening to tracks directly in iTunes.
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?
- How do I keep my iPhone calls from ringing on my Mac?
- Why doesn’t Traffic show up on my Today Notifications Screen?
- Why doesn’t my iPhone reconnect to Wi-Fi after I turn it on?
- Why can’t I see the iPad-style landscape view on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- Screen protector installation now available at Apple Stores
- Russia mulling tax increase on App Store purchases, other Apple services
- Lawyers threaten to sue Apple over ‘Error 53’ codes disabling iPhones
- Apple releases iOS 9.3 beta 3, tvOS 9.2 beta 3, watchOS 2.2 beta 3 to developers
- Indie game ‘The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth’ rejected by Apple over violence toward children
- Apple likely to receive approval to open retail stores in India
- Study finds Apple Watch is best fitness tracker for privacy, security
- Conflicting reports over pink color to be featured in iPhone 5se
- Report: Some third-party repairs ‘bricking’ iPhones with iOS 9
- Report: Apple to bid on NFL Thursday Night Football streaming rights
- Gumdrop Cases DropTech Case for iPad Pro
- Edifier MP700 Rave Portable Bluetooth Speaker
- Just Mobile HoverDock for Apple Watch + HoverDock for iPhone
- VRS Design Dandy Layered Case for iPad Pro
- Just Mobile TENC for iPad Pro
- Native Union DOCK Lightning
- Native Union DOCK for Apple Watch
- Hitcase Pro+ Action Pack and Snap for iPhone 6/6s
- Urban Armor Gear Trooper for iPhone 6/6s
- NEBO CaseBrite for iPhone 6 Plus/6s Plus
- Inside the betas: What’s new in iOS 9.3 and tvOS 9.2 (Updated)
- Life with HomeKit: Our experiences with Apple’s home automation system
- Under the Radar: 10 ‘hidden’ details about the new Apple TV
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 9.0
- Under the Radar: A closer look at smaller iPhone 6s and iPhone 6s Plus changes
- A First Look at iOS 9’s Transit in Apple Maps (Updated for watchOS 2)
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iTunes 12.2
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 8.4 + Apple Music
- CE Week 2015: IK Multimedia, Monowear’s Apple Watch bands + More
- Live From CE Week 2015: Brand New iPad, iPhone + Mac Accessories!