Hiding Purchased iBooks
Ask iLounge offers readers the opportunity to get answers to their iPod-, iPhone-, iPad-, iTunes-, or Apple TV-related questions from a member of the iLounge editorial team. We'll answer several questions here each week, and of course, you can always get help with more immediate concerns from the iLounge Discussion Forums. Submit your questions for consideration using our Ask iLounge Submit Form. We reserve the right to edit questions for grammar, spelling, and length.
Q: I want to delete a few books from the Purchased section in iBooks. I do not want them at all even to bring back up for later. How can I do this?
A: While there is no way to permanently remove a purchase iBook from your iTunes Store account, it is possible to hide a previously purchased item so that it does not appear in your purchase history—in either iBooks or iTunes.
Unfortunately, the iBooks app doesn’t provide any way to do this directly from your iOS device; deleting a book from the Purchased Books collection will simply remove the local copy from your device, leaving the original in-place with an iCloud icon next to it.
To hide a purchased book entirely, you need to resort to accessing the iTunes Store via the iTunes app on your Mac or PC. From the iTunes Store “Quick Links” menu, click on the “Purchased” option to bring up a list of your previously purchased content, and then select the “Books” heading. From here, simply hover over the individual book(s) that you would like to hide and click on the small “X” that appears to the top left of the cover image.
While these purchases will remain tied to your account, once hidden they will not appear in your purchase history in iTunes or your iBookstore purchase history within the iBooks app. To find any items you’ve hidden, you will need to go to your iTunes Store Account Information screen and choose the View Hidden Purchases option.
Note that hidden books will not disappear from the Purchased Books collection in iBooks if an entry for a particular book still exists in another collection. If you’ve hidden a book from your iTunes Purchase history and it’s still appearing in the Purchased Books section in iBooks, go through and ensure that it is not displayed in the main Books collection or any custom collections you may have created.
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?
- How do I keep my iPhone calls from ringing on my Mac?
- Why doesn’t Traffic show up on my Today Notifications Screen?
- Why doesn’t my iPhone reconnect to Wi-Fi after I turn it on?
- Why can’t I see the iPad-style landscape view on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- Apple Store app update allows purchases from Apple Watch
- Apple releases fifth beta of iOS 10.2 to developers
- Apple reveals cause of unexpected iPhone 6s shutdowns
- Report: 99 percent of fake Apple chargers found to be unsafe
- Apple offering battery replacements for iPhone 6s models with ‘unexpected shutdown issues’ (Updated)
- Report: Fitbit to acquire Pebble
- Apple releases statement on iCloud Calendar spam
- Apple sending out drones to improve Maps data, adding interior building maps
- Tim Cook allegedly tells customer AirPods to ship in ‘next few weeks’
- Apple Pay reportedly launching in Spain tomorrow
- iHome iZBT10 Zenergy Bedside Sleep Therapy Speaker
- Twelve South HiRise Duet for Apple Watch and iPhone
- IK Multimedia iLoud Micro Monitor
- JBL Under Armour Sport Wireless Heart Rate Headphones
- Edifier e235 Luna E Speaker System
- Clamcase ClamCase+ for 9.7” iPad Pro
- Scosche BoomBottle H2O+ Waterproof Wireless Speaker
- Thermos Connected Hydration Bottle with Smart Lid
- Beats Solo3 Wireless On-Ear Headphones
- Creative iRoar Go Portable Bluetooth Speaker
- Top Five: The Best Products for Building a Smart Home with HomeKit
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of watchOS 3
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of tvOS 10
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 10
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Photos gets Advanced Computer Vision
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Music app delivers ‘clarity and simplicity’
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Maps gets a major redesign
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 shakes up the user experience
- Inside the betas: watchOS 3 promises a real speed boost
- Inside the betas: A sneak peek at what’s new in tvOS 10