Accessing the Equalizer on iOS devices
Ask iLounge offers readers the opportunity to get answers to their iPod-, iPhone-, iPad-, iTunes-, or Apple TV-related questions from a member of the iLounge editorial team. We'll answer several questions here each week, and of course, you can always get help with more immediate concerns from the iLounge Discussion Forums. Submit your questions for consideration using our Ask iLounge Submit Form. We reserve the right to edit questions for grammar, spelling, and length.
Q: I recently switched to an iPod touch from another digital music player and can’t figure out why such an advanced device doesn’t include even a basic equalizer. I had an iPod several years ago, and I’m pretty sure there was a basic equalizer even back then, so I’m not sure why it’s missing from the new models. Does Apple expect people to buy an app for this?
A: Actually, the equalizer is still there on iOS devices, just hidden away in the Music section under the Settings menu, rather than directly accessible from within the actual Music app. While not the most obvious place to find equalizer settings, this is basically the same place it was found on older Click Wheel iPod models as well.
The iOS equalizer retains pretty much the same basic design as it always has, offering 22 presets but no customizable settings. Which the exception of the special Late Night setting which affects ALL device audio, the presets here apply only to listening to audio through the built-in Music app—they do not apply to videos or listening through any third-party apps, including even Apple’s own Podcasts app.
If you’re syncing music from iTunes, you can also set equalizer presets for specific tracks by selecting a track, choosing File, Get Info and selecting the preset from the Options tab. This will override any EQ setting chosen on your device when playing that particular track, provided an EQ preset is actually enabled in the iOS Settings; OFF disables all equalizer settings, even those set on a per-track basis, the Flat setting can be used instead if you want to disable the default EQ and only apply per-track EQ presets.
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?
- How do I keep my iPhone calls from ringing on my Mac?
- Why doesn’t Traffic show up on my Today Notifications Screen?
- Why doesn’t my iPhone reconnect to Wi-Fi after I turn it on?
- Why can’t I see the iPad-style landscape view on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- iOS 10.3 to improve in-app rating experience, allow developers to respond to App Store reviews
- Apple releases first iOS 10.3, tvOS 10.2 betas
- Pokémon Duel released for iOS
- Report: India likely to reject Apple’s tax break requests
- Apple releases iTunes 12.5.5
- Apple releases tvOS 10.1.1, watchOS 3.1.3
- Apple releases iOS 10.2.1
- Foxconn considering $7B investment in ‘highly automated’ U.S. facility for Apple
- KGI: 3D Touch upgrade coming in new iPhone, Touch ID and facial recognition upgrades in future model
- Apple files lawsuit accusing Qualcomm of withholding patent royalties
- Revogi Smart Lightbulb, Smart Lightstrip, Smart Candle + Smart Meter Plug
- Audeze iSine10 In-Ear Headphones
- MOCACARE MOCACuff Connected Blood Pressure Monitor
- Apple AirPods
- Elgato Eve Motion
- Olloclip Core Lens Set for iPhone 7/7 Plus
- Logitech Pop Home Switch Starter Pack
- Elgato Eve Light Switch
- iHome iPLWBT5 Docking Clock Radio for iPhone and Apple Watch
- Brydge 12.9 iPad Pro Keyboard
- Top Five: The Best Products for Building a Smart Home with HomeKit
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of watchOS 3
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of tvOS 10
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 10
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Photos gets Advanced Computer Vision
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Music app delivers ‘clarity and simplicity’
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Maps gets a major redesign
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 shakes up the user experience
- Inside the betas: watchOS 3 promises a real speed boost
- Inside the betas: A sneak peek at what’s new in tvOS 10