Can’t restore iPod touch without passcode | iLounge Article

Article

Can’t restore iPod touch without passcode

Ask iLounge offers readers the opportunity to get answers to their iPod-, iPhone-, iPad-, iTunes-, or Apple TV-related questions from a member of the iLounge editorial team. We'll answer several questions here each week, and of course, you can always get help with more immediate concerns from the iLounge Discussion Forums. Submit your questions for consideration using our Ask iLounge Submit Form. We reserve the right to edit questions for grammar, spelling, and length.

View the complete Ask iLounge archives...

Q: I have recently bought a used third generation iPod touch and it has a password on it and I can’t reach the last owner. I’ve tried the solution in your article Reset Passcode after purchasing used iPod touch and it doesn’t work. When I connect it to my computer it tells me it can’t connect without the password. Please help.

- Kyle

A: More recent versions of iTunes will block a passcode protected iPod touch or other iOS device from even connecting with an iTunes library unless they have been synced with that particular computer in the past.

Unfortunately, this prevents you from even being able to access the restore option in iTunes, since if you click the “Cancel” button the device doesn’t appear in iTunes at all.

Fortunately, you can work around this by forcing your device into recovery mode. To do this, simply unplug the Dock Connector cable from the bottom of your device and power it off by holding down the Sleep/Wake button for a few seconds and sliding the “Slide to Power Off” slider.

Once the device has powered off, hold down the Home button while plugging the Dock Connector cable back in, and continue holding the Home button until you see a “Connect to iTunes” screen. Once you release the Home button, you should see a dialog box on your computer that iTunes has found a device in recovery mode

Click the “OK” button and you should see a recovery mode screen in iTunes that can be used to restore your device back to factory defaults.

Once restored, the device will basically be returned to an out-of-the-box configuration. You can then set it up as a new device, or choose to restore a backup of a previous iOS device onto it.

The most asked question at iLounge.com:

How do I copy content from my iPod/iPhone onto my computer?

Converting DVDs, web video, TV shows and more:

The Complete Guide to iPod, Apple TV and iPhone Video Formats

Converting DVDs, web video, TV shows and more:

The Complete Guide to iPod, iPhone and Apple TV Video Conversion (Mac)

Converting DVDs, web video, TV shows and more:

The Complete Guide to iPod, iPhone and Apple TV Video Conversion (Win)

Best Speakers?

Best Headphones?

Best Case?

Best In-Car Solution?

Best Battery Extender?

Find more answers in the latest publications in our Library. Free downloads developed by the editors of iLounge!

Ask iLounge Archives:

1-24-14: Viewing only downloaded iTunes Match tracks

1-22-14: Splitting purchased content between two iPads

12-13-13: Non-Bluetooth Lightning dock speakers

12-11-13: Shared Apple ID and switching away from iPhone

12-6-13: Syncing multiple iCloud data with a family Mac

Read more recent Ask iLounge articles...

View the complete Ask iLounge archives...

« Backing up and restoring an iPod classic

Retaining older versions of Apps during an iOS Restore »

Comments

I recently purchased a used iPod touch and none of the articles have helped me to re-enable it. I cannot reach the person I bought it from to get the password. Someone please help me, I do not want to lose out on the money I spent.

Posted by Amy White on August 28, 2013 at 3:06 AM (PDT)

Thank You so Much!!!

Life saver hahh thanks your amazing

Posted by Jay on September 12, 2013 at 10:17 PM (PDT)

it still dont work after that, ive tried like 4 times…..

Posted by Nate on October 18, 2013 at 2:10 PM (PDT)

I’ve had this ipod for a little while and it’s 4th generation, I recently got the iTunes installed into a new computer and when I try to restore the ipod it asks for a passcode…. Which pass code is it talking about because I tried using my apple and my ipod passcodes and neither seem to work for it. any suggestions on how to restore?

Posted by Nathan on October 18, 2013 at 11:40 PM (PDT)

Thanks very much - this was very useful!

Posted by richy kenyee on October 24, 2013 at 9:06 AM (PDT)

i forgot my restrictions passcode

Posted by dji on November 7, 2013 at 3:04 PM (PDT)

What has happened is someone’s got on to the iPod and changed the password by typing random letters like this dhhddhhdhcjeejfhhdejdidiw do you know what to do

Posted by Ellis on December 7, 2013 at 12:23 PM (PDT)

This helped so much! Thank you! It works!

Posted by Mckibbon on December 24, 2013 at 7:55 AM (PDT)

This was a big help, thanks!

Posted by Dylan Waller on January 9, 2014 at 12:40 PM (PDT)

Hi i have tried all the above and mine keeps giving me you are not connected to the internet but i clearly am can anyone help ?

Posted by Craig on February 10, 2014 at 12:29 AM (PDT)

I have recently entered a new ITunes password on my iPad and iPhone 4 now my iPod 3rd generation will not accept the new password. I store all my music on the iPod. I want to purchase more music on iTunes but I am unable to on the iPod. Do you have a solution please?

Posted by Brian Corder on March 25, 2014 at 2:07 AM (PDT)