Can’t restore iPod touch without passcode
Ask iLounge offers readers the opportunity to get answers to their iPod-, iPhone-, iPad-, iTunes-, or Apple TV-related questions from a member of the iLounge editorial team. We'll answer several questions here each week, and of course, you can always get help with more immediate concerns from the iLounge Discussion Forums. Submit your questions for consideration using our Ask iLounge Submit Form. We reserve the right to edit questions for grammar, spelling, and length.
Q: I have recently bought a used third generation iPod touch and it has a password on it and I can’t reach the last owner. I’ve tried the solution in your article Reset Passcode after purchasing used iPod touch and it doesn’t work. When I connect it to my computer it tells me it can’t connect without the password. Please help.
A: More recent versions of iTunes will block a passcode protected iPod touch or other iOS device from even connecting with an iTunes library unless they have been synced with that particular computer in the past.
Unfortunately, this prevents you from even being able to access the restore option in iTunes, since if you click the “Cancel” button the device doesn’t appear in iTunes at all.
Fortunately, you can work around this by forcing your device into recovery mode. To do this, simply unplug the Dock Connector cable from the bottom of your device and power it off by holding down the Sleep/Wake button for a few seconds and sliding the “Slide to Power Off” slider.
Once the device has powered off, hold down the Home button while plugging the Dock Connector cable back in, and continue holding the Home button until you see a “Connect to iTunes” screen. Once you release the Home button, you should see a dialog box on your computer that iTunes has found a device in recovery mode
Click the “OK” button and you should see a recovery mode screen in iTunes that can be used to restore your device back to factory defaults.
Once restored, the device will basically be returned to an out-of-the-box configuration. You can then set it up as a new device, or choose to restore a backup of a previous iOS device onto it.
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?
- How do I keep my iPhone calls from ringing on my Mac?
- Why doesn’t Traffic show up on my Today Notifications Screen?
- Why doesn’t my iPhone reconnect to Wi-Fi after I turn it on?
- Why can’t I see the iPad-style landscape view on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- Apple Music to supply content to Musical.ly
- Apple now withholding royalty payments to Qualcomm as dispute escalates
- New Puff Daddy Documentary will be another Apple Music exclusive
- Apple releases fifth beta of iOS 10.3.2
- Report: Apple’s Jimmy Iovine still has ambitious video plans for Apple Music
- Apple executive talks using AI to boost human memory
- Apple rolling out ‘Today at Apple’ educational courses starting in May
- Smart home device maker iDevices acquired by Hubbell
- Apple delays ‘Carpool Karaoke’ release to ‘later this year’
- Dutch court rules Apple can’t replace broken iPads with refurbished models
- FABRIQ AirPlay and Bluetooth Alexa-Enabled Speaker
- Advanced Evo X & M4
- Advanced Mezger aptX Bluetooth Receiver
- iDevices Wall Switch
- iDevices Wall Outlet
- Koogeek Wi-Fi SmartSocket for Apple HomeKit
- Sony MDR-1000X Wireless Noise-Canceling Headphones
- FiiO i1 Lightning to 3.5mm Headphone Adapter
- Blue Ella Headphones
- Apple iPad (Fifth-Generation)
- Top Five: The Best Products for Building a Smart Home with HomeKit
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of watchOS 3
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of tvOS 10
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 10
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Photos gets Advanced Computer Vision
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Music app delivers ‘clarity and simplicity’
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Maps gets a major redesign
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 shakes up the user experience
- Inside the betas: watchOS 3 promises a real speed boost
- Inside the betas: A sneak peek at what’s new in tvOS 10