Can’t restore iPod touch without passcode
Ask iLounge offers readers the opportunity to get answers to their iPod-, iPhone-, iPad-, iTunes-, or Apple TV-related questions from a member of the iLounge editorial team. We'll answer several questions here each week, and of course, you can always get help with more immediate concerns from the iLounge Discussion Forums. Submit your questions for consideration using our Ask iLounge Submit Form. We reserve the right to edit questions for grammar, spelling, and length.
Q: I have recently bought a used third generation iPod touch and it has a password on it and I can’t reach the last owner. I’ve tried the solution in your article Reset Passcode after purchasing used iPod touch and it doesn’t work. When I connect it to my computer it tells me it can’t connect without the password. Please help.
A: More recent versions of iTunes will block a passcode protected iPod touch or other iOS device from even connecting with an iTunes library unless they have been synced with that particular computer in the past.
Unfortunately, this prevents you from even being able to access the restore option in iTunes, since if you click the “Cancel” button the device doesn’t appear in iTunes at all.
Fortunately, you can work around this by forcing your device into recovery mode. To do this, simply unplug the Dock Connector cable from the bottom of your device and power it off by holding down the Sleep/Wake button for a few seconds and sliding the “Slide to Power Off” slider.
Once the device has powered off, hold down the Home button while plugging the Dock Connector cable back in, and continue holding the Home button until you see a “Connect to iTunes” screen. Once you release the Home button, you should see a dialog box on your computer that iTunes has found a device in recovery mode
Click the “OK” button and you should see a recovery mode screen in iTunes that can be used to restore your device back to factory defaults.
Once restored, the device will basically be returned to an out-of-the-box configuration. You can then set it up as a new device, or choose to restore a backup of a previous iOS device onto it.
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?
- How do I keep my iPhone calls from ringing on my Mac?
- Why doesn’t Traffic show up on my Today Notifications Screen?
- Why doesn’t my iPhone reconnect to Wi-Fi after I turn it on?
- Why can’t I see the iPad-style landscape view on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- ResearchKit study conducted using Apple Watch reveals new insights into seizures
- Instagram adds ability to include up to 10 photos or videos in a single post
- Facebook’s talks with MLB raise possibility that game streams could come to Apple TV
- Analyst claims wireless charging will be included in ‘iPhone 8,’ but rules out Energous as provider
- Apple claims EU made ‘fundamental errors’ in calculating $14B Irish tax ruling
- Analyst: ‘iPhone 8’ to feature ‘revolutionary’ front-facing camera with 3D sensors
- Apple releases third betas for iOS 10.3, tvOS 10.2, and watchOS 3.2 to developers
- Happy Presidents’ Day from iLounge
- Apple plans to begin iPhone manufacturing in India starting with the iPhone SE
- Rumor: iPhone 8 to eliminate Touch ID in favor of Facial Recognition
- PureGear PureSwitch HomeKit-enabled Wireless Smart Plug
- 1More Triple Driver In-Ear Headphones
- Revogi Smart Lightbulb, Smart Lightstrip, Smart Candle + Smart Meter Plug
- Audeze iSine10 In-Ear Headphones
- MOCACARE MOCACuff Connected Blood Pressure Monitor
- Apple AirPods
- Elgato Eve Motion
- Olloclip Core Lens Set for iPhone 7/7 Plus
- Logitech Pop Home Switch Starter Pack
- Elgato Eve Light Switch
- Top Five: The Best Products for Building a Smart Home with HomeKit
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of watchOS 3
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of tvOS 10
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 10
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Photos gets Advanced Computer Vision
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Music app delivers ‘clarity and simplicity’
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Maps gets a major redesign
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 shakes up the user experience
- Inside the betas: watchOS 3 promises a real speed boost
- Inside the betas: A sneak peek at what’s new in tvOS 10