Requirements for establishing an iTunes Store account in another country
Ask iLounge offers readers the opportunity to get answers to their iPod-, iPhone-, iPad-, iTunes-, or Apple TV-related questions from a member of the iLounge editorial team. We'll answer several questions here each week, and of course, you can always get help with more immediate concerns from the iLounge Discussion Forums. Submit your questions for consideration using our Ask iLounge Submit Form. We reserve the right to edit questions for grammar, spelling, and length.
Q: How do I establish an account without a payment account address for the country I want to establish the account in? I want to set up a U.K. account but it just prompted me that I must have an address for the country I am choosing. Does Paypal count?
A: To create an iTunes Store account in a given country, you must have a payment method appropriate for that particular country. In general, this means a VISA, MasterCard, or American Express card or an iTunes Store Gift Card purchased in that particular country. PayPal and ClickandBuy are also available, but only in specific countries. PayPal is not available in the U.K. iTunes Store, so this would not be an option for setting up a U.K.-based iTunes Store account anyway, regardless of billing address.
When using a credit card, iTunes checks the billing address to ensure that it matches the specific address you’ve entered and the country in which you’re trying to setup an iTunes Store account. Your credit card will not be accepted for an iTunes Store account unless these both match. Keep in mind that most online vendors will verify a user’s entered billing address against their credit card when making purchases online, so iTunes is by no means unique in this regard.
Note that while many credit card companies will allow you to list one or more alternate shipping addresses for ordering physical goods online, it is the billing address that is used by iTunes.
If you do not have a credit card with a U.K. billing address, you will not be able to use that for an iTunes Store account in the U.K. The alternative option is to purchase iTunes Gift Cards from a store in the U.K.; gift cards sold in a given country are country-specific, so if you have a gift card that is sold in the U.K. it will work with—and only with—the U.K. iTunes Store. You will still need to supply a U.K.-based address to actually create an account, but the iTunes Store does not validate the address in this case as it has no means of doing so without a credit card to check it against.
Just keep in mind that using the iTunes Store from another country is technically a violation of the iTunes Store Terms and Conditions; the Terms and Conditions for the U.K. iTunes Store indicates that “The Service is available to you only in the United Kingdom. You agree not to use or attempt to use the Service from outside this location.” While Apple does not traditionally enforce these terms, it is worth pointing out that it is technically not permitted and you therefore do so at your own risk.
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?
- How do I keep my iPhone calls from ringing on my Mac?
- Why doesn’t Traffic show up on my Today Notifications Screen?
- Why doesn’t my iPhone reconnect to Wi-Fi after I turn it on?
- Why can’t I see the iPad-style landscape view on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- Report: Some third-party repairs ‘bricking’ iPhones with iOS 9
- Report: Apple to bid on NFL Thursday Night Football streaming rights
- Apple to begin taking broken iPhones for trade-in, offer in-store screen protector installation
- Apple ordered to pay $625M to VirnetX in patent case
- Apple Pay reaches 2 million retail locations
- Apple acquires security company LegbaCore
- Zagg to acquire Mophie for $100 million
- Report: iPhone 7 to include flush camera lens, drop rear antenna bands
- Report: iPhone 5se, iPad Air 3 set for March 15 unveil
- Alleged iPad Air 3 drawing shows Smart Connector, four speakers, camera flash
- Gumdrop Cases DropTech Case for iPad Pro
- Edifier MP700 Rave Portable Bluetooth Speaker
- Just Mobile HoverDock for Apple Watch + HoverDock for iPhone
- VRS Design Dandy Layered Case for iPad Pro
- Just Mobile TENC for iPad Pro
- Native Union DOCK Lightning
- Native Union DOCK for Apple Watch
- Hitcase Pro+ Action Pack and Snap for iPhone 6/6s
- Urban Armor Gear Trooper for iPhone 6/6s
- NEBO CaseBrite for iPhone 6 Plus/6s Plus
- Inside the betas: What’s new in iOS 9.3 and tvOS 9.2 (Updated)
- Life with HomeKit: Our experiences with Apple’s home automation system
- Under the Radar: 10 ‘hidden’ details about the new Apple TV
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 9.0
- Under the Radar: A closer look at smaller iPhone 6s and iPhone 6s Plus changes
- A First Look at iOS 9’s Transit in Apple Maps (Updated for watchOS 2)
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iTunes 12.2
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 8.4 + Apple Music
- CE Week 2015: IK Multimedia, Monowear’s Apple Watch bands + More
- Live From CE Week 2015: Brand New iPad, iPhone + Mac Accessories!