Streaming to multiple AirPlay speakers from Apple TV
Ask iLounge offers readers the opportunity to get answers to their iPod-, iPhone-, iPad-, iTunes-, or Apple TV-related questions from a member of the iLounge editorial team. We'll answer several questions here each week, and of course, you can always get help with more immediate concerns from the iLounge Discussion Forums. Submit your questions for consideration using our Ask iLounge Submit Form. We reserve the right to edit questions for grammar, spelling, and length.
Q: Can I send audio from an Apple TV to multiple AirPlay speakers like I can with iTunes?
A: Unfortunately, not directly—this capability is still limited solely to iTunes running on a Mac or Windows PC.
Note that it is possible to work around this by using a Mac or PC running software such as Rogue Amoeba’s Airfoil. Although this would require you to leave a computer running, it would not necessarily need to be the computer hosting your primary iTunes library, and you would gain the advantage of being able to more effectively control the content directly from the Apple TV rather than having to rely on the iOS Remote app or directly accessing your computer.
Airfoil is a $25 app that allows you to stream any audio from a Mac or PC via AirPlay to multiple speakers. Combined with the included Airfoil Speakers app, you could stream audio from your Apple TV to your computer, and then use Airfoil on your computer to stream that audio back out to any number of other AirPlay destinations. You would simply select your computer as the AirPlay destination from your Apple TV, and then selecting Airfoil Speakers as the audio source on your Mac and choose multiple AirPlay or Airfoil destinations from there.
Airfoil Speakers can also act as a receiver on other computers, and free iOS and Android versions of Airfoil Speakers are also available to allow you to stream audio back to a mobile device, which could play that audio through a connected set of headphones or speakers. An Airfoil Remote app is also available for iOS that allows you to control Airfoil running on your Mac using your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch.
Of course, since this requires you to leave a computer on with Airfoil running, it isn’t necessarily all that more practical than simply streaming from your iTunes library, but the ability to stream to other devices that aren’t otherwise AirPlay compatible—such as an iPhone or iPod touch—may be of some benefit, as is the ability to actually initiate and control playback directly from the Apple TV itself.
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?
- How do I keep my iPhone calls from ringing on my Mac?
- Why doesn’t Traffic show up on my Today Notifications Screen?
- Why doesn’t my iPhone reconnect to Wi-Fi after I turn it on?
- Why can’t I see the iPad-style landscape view on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- Mobiata announces sunset of FlightTrack 5 and FlightBoard apps
- Harman announces first Wireless CarPlay implementation
- Report: Apple still considering several possible wireless charging solutions for ‘iPhone 8’
- Mini Metro adds Endless Mode
- Apple issues statement opposing Trump administration’s rescission of transgender rights
- ResearchKit study conducted using Apple Watch reveals new insights into seizures
- Instagram adds ability to include up to 10 photos or videos in a single post
- Facebook’s talks with MLB raise possibility that game streams could come to Apple TV
- Analyst claims wireless charging will be included in ‘iPhone 8,’ but rules out Energous as provider
- Apple claims EU made ‘fundamental errors’ in calculating $14B Irish tax ruling
- PureGear PureSwitch HomeKit-enabled Wireless Smart Plug
- 1More Triple Driver In-Ear Headphones
- Revogi Smart Lightbulb, Smart Lightstrip, Smart Candle + Smart Meter Plug
- Audeze iSine10 In-Ear Headphones
- MOCACARE MOCACuff Connected Blood Pressure Monitor
- Apple AirPods
- Elgato Eve Motion
- Olloclip Core Lens Set for iPhone 7/7 Plus
- Logitech Pop Home Switch Starter Pack
- Elgato Eve Light Switch
- Top Five: The Best Products for Building a Smart Home with HomeKit
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of watchOS 3
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of tvOS 10
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 10
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Photos gets Advanced Computer Vision
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Music app delivers ‘clarity and simplicity’
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Maps gets a major redesign
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 shakes up the user experience
- Inside the betas: watchOS 3 promises a real speed boost
- Inside the betas: A sneak peek at what’s new in tvOS 10