Scheduling Alarms when using Do Not Disturb
Ask iLounge offers readers the opportunity to get answers to their iPod-, iPhone-, iPad-, iTunes-, or Apple TV-related questions from a member of the iLounge editorial team. We'll answer several questions here each week, and of course, you can always get help with more immediate concerns from the iLounge Discussion Forums. Submit your questions for consideration using our Ask iLounge Submit Form. We reserve the right to edit questions for grammar, spelling, and length.
Q: I just saw your article on Manual vs scheduled Do Not Disturb settings, which helped clear up at least one question I had. I’m still puzzled about one thing, however, and that’s if there’s a way to override Do Not Disturb for specific alarms? I know that I can allow certain phone calls to get through, but everything else seems to get silenced whether I want it to or not. Is there some way I can overrule this for certain types of notifications? I’m in a lot of meetings so I keep my iPhone on Do Not Disturb, but I’d still like important reminders to come through.
A: While there’s no way for you to choose specific apps to override the Do Not Disturb setting, the built-in Clock app does get special privileges in this regard. Any alarms or timers set in the Clock app will sound regardless of whether the Do Not Disturb setting is on or not.
While this may not be as convenient as receiving notifications from other applications, you could use alarms in the Clock app to schedule those critical alerts that you can’t afford to miss.
You can even apply labels to Clock alarms to remind you of what each specific alarm is for, and have different sounds assigned to each. One downside, unfortunately, is that Clock alarms can’t be scheduled with as much flexibility as Calendar appointments or reminders. You can normally only schedule alarms within 24 hours of the current time, however if you need an alarm to go off on a certain day of the week you can work around this by making it a repeating alarm for that day. Just keep in mind that you’ll need to remember to switch the alarm off if you don’t want it coming up on that day every week.
Note that the Clock app also overrides the ring/silent switch on your iPhone, and unlike other notifications there is no option to have the iPhone vibrate only when the alarm sounds; you’ll want to keep that in mind when selecting your alert sound.
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?
- How do I keep my iPhone calls from ringing on my Mac?
- Why doesn’t Traffic show up on my Today Notifications Screen?
- Why doesn’t my iPhone reconnect to Wi-Fi after I turn it on?
- Why can’t I see the iPad-style landscape view on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- Apple releases iOS 9.3 beta 3, tvOS 9.2 beta 3, watchOS 2.2 beta 3 to developers
- Indie game ‘The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth’ rejected by Apple over violence toward children
- Apple likely to receive approval to open retail stores in India
- Study finds Apple Watch is best fitness tracker for privacy, security
- Conflicting reports over pink color to be featured in iPhone 5se
- Report: Some third-party repairs ‘bricking’ iPhones with iOS 9
- Report: Apple to bid on NFL Thursday Night Football streaming rights
- Apple to begin taking broken iPhones for trade-in, offer in-store screen protector installation
- Apple ordered to pay $625M to VirnetX in patent case
- Apple Pay reaches 2 million retail locations
- Gumdrop Cases DropTech Case for iPad Pro
- Edifier MP700 Rave Portable Bluetooth Speaker
- Just Mobile HoverDock for Apple Watch + HoverDock for iPhone
- VRS Design Dandy Layered Case for iPad Pro
- Just Mobile TENC for iPad Pro
- Native Union DOCK Lightning
- Native Union DOCK for Apple Watch
- Hitcase Pro+ Action Pack and Snap for iPhone 6/6s
- Urban Armor Gear Trooper for iPhone 6/6s
- NEBO CaseBrite for iPhone 6 Plus/6s Plus
- Inside the betas: What’s new in iOS 9.3 and tvOS 9.2 (Updated)
- Life with HomeKit: Our experiences with Apple’s home automation system
- Under the Radar: 10 ‘hidden’ details about the new Apple TV
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 9.0
- Under the Radar: A closer look at smaller iPhone 6s and iPhone 6s Plus changes
- A First Look at iOS 9’s Transit in Apple Maps (Updated for watchOS 2)
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iTunes 12.2
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 8.4 + Apple Music
- CE Week 2015: IK Multimedia, Monowear’s Apple Watch bands + More
- Live From CE Week 2015: Brand New iPad, iPhone + Mac Accessories!