Accessing Messages and Social Networks from another iPhone
Ask iLounge offers readers the opportunity to get answers to their iPod-, iPhone-, iPad-, iTunes-, or Apple TV-related questions from a member of the iLounge editorial team. We'll answer several questions here each week, and of course, you can always get help with more immediate concerns from the iLounge Discussion Forums. Submit your questions for consideration using our Ask iLounge Submit Form. We reserve the right to edit questions for grammar, spelling, and length.
Q: Hey! I’m facing this problem. My dad’s buying me this new phone—probably going to be an iPhone 5. He’s using a Samsung S3 and he heard his friend saying that he connected his daughter’s phone and has access to her messages. My dad wants to try that. Is it possible if we’re using different brands of phones to do that? And will he have access to my social networks? Thanks! :)
A: The short and simple answer is that without your specific password, nobody else will have any access to your messages or social networks. This is true regardless of the device the other user is on.
The situation your dad’s friend is describing is probably monitoring iMessages in a scenario where both parties are iOS device users. If you’re both using iOS devices, regardless of whether they are iPhones, iPads, or iPod touch devices, and are using the same Apple ID on both devices, then you are essentially sharing your iMessage conversation history between all of those devices. See Sharing an iMessage account between family members and yesterday’s article on receiving other users’ iMessages when sharing an Apple ID for more information.
Even in this case, only iMessages will be shared between devices. Standard text messages are not shared between iOS devices.
Regardless, the simplest way to prevent iMessage eavesdropping is to ensure that you have created your own Apple ID to sign into iMessage on your iPhone with a password that only you know. The same applies to social networks, email accounts, or any other online services. See our Guide to FaceTime + iMessage Setup for more detailed information on how to set this all up.
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?
- How do I keep my iPhone calls from ringing on my Mac?
- Why doesn’t Traffic show up on my Today Notifications Screen?
- Why doesn’t my iPhone reconnect to Wi-Fi after I turn it on?
- Why can’t I see the iPad-style landscape view on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- Federal bill aims to take regulatory power for phone encryption out of state hands
- Job post shows Apple emphasizing new complications, faces for Apple Watch
- New comments hint at forthcoming streaming TV service from Apple
- Apple Music available on Sonos starting today
- Screen protector installation now available at Apple Stores
- Russia mulling tax increase on App Store purchases, other Apple services
- Lawyers threaten to sue Apple over ‘Error 53’ codes disabling iPhones
- Apple releases iOS 9.3 beta 3, tvOS 9.2 beta 3, watchOS 2.2 beta 3 to developers
- Indie game ‘The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth’ rejected by Apple over violence toward children
- Apple likely to receive approval to open retail stores in India
- Vicks SmartTemp Wireless Smartphone Thermometer
- Gumdrop Cases DropTech Case for iPad Pro
- Edifier MP700 Rave Portable Bluetooth Speaker
- Just Mobile HoverDock for Apple Watch + HoverDock for iPhone
- VRS Design Dandy Layered Case for iPad Pro
- Just Mobile TENC for iPad Pro
- Native Union DOCK Lightning
- Native Union DOCK for Apple Watch
- Hitcase Pro+ Action Pack and Snap for iPhone 6/6s
- Urban Armor Gear Trooper for iPhone 6/6s
- Inside the betas: What’s new in iOS 9.3 and tvOS 9.2 (Updated)
- Life with HomeKit: Our experiences with Apple’s home automation system
- Under the Radar: 10 ‘hidden’ details about the new Apple TV
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 9.0
- Under the Radar: A closer look at smaller iPhone 6s and iPhone 6s Plus changes
- A First Look at iOS 9’s Transit in Apple Maps (Updated for watchOS 2)
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iTunes 12.2
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 8.4 + Apple Music
- CE Week 2015: IK Multimedia, Monowear’s Apple Watch bands + More
- Live From CE Week 2015: Brand New iPad, iPhone + Mac Accessories!