Accessing Messages and Social Networks from another iPhone
Ask iLounge offers readers the opportunity to get answers to their iPod-, iPhone-, iPad-, iTunes-, or Apple TV-related questions from a member of the iLounge editorial team. We'll answer several questions here each week, and of course, you can always get help with more immediate concerns from the iLounge Discussion Forums. Submit your questions for consideration using our Ask iLounge Submit Form. We reserve the right to edit questions for grammar, spelling, and length.
Q: Hey! I’m facing this problem. My dad’s buying me this new phone—probably going to be an iPhone 5. He’s using a Samsung S3 and he heard his friend saying that he connected his daughter’s phone and has access to her messages. My dad wants to try that. Is it possible if we’re using different brands of phones to do that? And will he have access to my social networks? Thanks! :)
A: The short and simple answer is that without your specific password, nobody else will have any access to your messages or social networks. This is true regardless of the device the other user is on.
The situation your dad’s friend is describing is probably monitoring iMessages in a scenario where both parties are iOS device users. If you’re both using iOS devices, regardless of whether they are iPhones, iPads, or iPod touch devices, and are using the same Apple ID on both devices, then you are essentially sharing your iMessage conversation history between all of those devices. See Sharing an iMessage account between family members and yesterday’s article on receiving other users’ iMessages when sharing an Apple ID for more information.
Even in this case, only iMessages will be shared between devices. Standard text messages are not shared between iOS devices.
Regardless, the simplest way to prevent iMessage eavesdropping is to ensure that you have created your own Apple ID to sign into iMessage on your iPhone with a password that only you know. The same applies to social networks, email accounts, or any other online services. See our Guide to FaceTime + iMessage Setup for more detailed information on how to set this all up.
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?
- How do I keep my iPhone calls from ringing on my Mac?
- Why doesn’t Traffic show up on my Today Notifications Screen?
- Why doesn’t my iPhone reconnect to Wi-Fi after I turn it on?
- Why can’t I see the iPad-style landscape view on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- iDevices adds dynamic automation, enhanced scheduling to ‘Connected’ app for HomeKit
- Apple reports that iOS 10.2.1 significantly reduces unexpected iPhone 6s shutdown issues
- Mobiata announces sunset of FlightTrack 5 and FlightBoard apps
- Harman announces first Wireless CarPlay implementation
- Report: Apple still considering several possible wireless charging solutions for ‘iPhone 8’
- Mini Metro adds Endless Mode
- Apple issues statement opposing Trump administration’s rescission of transgender rights
- ResearchKit study conducted using Apple Watch reveals new insights into seizures
- Instagram adds ability to include up to 10 photos or videos in a single post
- Facebook’s talks with MLB raise possibility that game streams could come to Apple TV
- PureGear PureSwitch HomeKit-enabled Wireless Smart Plug
- 1More Triple Driver In-Ear Headphones
- Revogi Smart Lightbulb, Smart Lightstrip, Smart Candle + Smart Meter Plug
- Audeze iSine10 In-Ear Headphones
- MOCACARE MOCACuff Connected Blood Pressure Monitor
- Apple AirPods
- Elgato Eve Motion
- Olloclip Core Lens Set for iPhone 7/7 Plus
- Logitech Pop Home Switch Starter Pack
- Elgato Eve Light Switch
- Top Five: The Best Products for Building a Smart Home with HomeKit
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of watchOS 3
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of tvOS 10
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 10
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Photos gets Advanced Computer Vision
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Music app delivers ‘clarity and simplicity’
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Maps gets a major redesign
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 shakes up the user experience
- Inside the betas: watchOS 3 promises a real speed boost
- Inside the betas: A sneak peek at what’s new in tvOS 10