3G iPod car audio compatibility
Ask iLounge offers readers the opportunity to get answers to their iPod-, iPhone-, iPad-, iTunes-, or Apple TV-related questions from a member of the iLounge editorial team. We'll answer several questions here each week, and of course, you can always get help with more immediate concerns from the iLounge Discussion Forums. Submit your questions for consideration using our Ask iLounge Submit Form. We reserve the right to edit questions for grammar, spelling, and length.
Q: I have a third-generation iPod and I have a hookup on my car radio, a Clarion DXZ575USB that is supposed to allow me to control the iPod directly from the car radio. However, the iPod that I have is not working properly in this regard—it will let me turn on the iPod manually and play it through the radio, but the controls on the car radio itself do not actually work for the iPod. I was told it needed to be updated as it is a 2.3 firmware version and needs to be higher. How do i update it? I have restored it and that did not help.
A: Normally, the latest firmware is applied via iTunes 7, or by using a standalone iPod Updater application for older versions of iTunes. A “Restore” will normally apply the latest version of the iPod firmware.
In this case, however, v2.3 is the latest version of the firmware for the third-generation iPod. Clarion’s support site does not seem to provide any specifics on which iPod model is required for their system, although some other dealer sites list third-generation iPod compatibility. Based on the information that your iPod requires an update, it is possible that the advanced control features may not be compatible with third-genreation iPod models.
If you know anybody who has a fourth-generation or later iPod model, it might be worth trying a later model to see if this makes a difference. If a fourth or fifth-generation iPod does not work, then it is possible that the source unit itself or the iPod interface may be the issue, since these features should definitely be supported on later-model iPods.
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?
- How do I keep my iPhone calls from ringing on my Mac?
- Why doesn’t Traffic show up on my Today Notifications Screen?
- Why doesn’t my iPhone reconnect to Wi-Fi after I turn it on?
- Why can’t I see the iPad-style landscape view on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- Apple files lawsuit accusing Qualcomm of withholding patent royalties
- Apple releases updated iOS Developer Design Resources
- Apple’s exclusive audiobook deal with Audible ends in Europe following EU antitrust scrutiny
- Nintendo officially announces Fire Emblem Heroes for iOS, coming Feb. 2
- Rumor: Apple working on second-generation Apple Pencil
- GarageBand 2.2 adds Logic Pro X integration, Alchemy synth, Multi-Take Recording
- FTC files complaint against Qualcomm citing royalty deal with Apple
- India mulling manufacturing regulation changes which could woo Apple
- Apple Music creative team discusses the service’s exclusives, future
- Apple raising UK App Store prices by more than 25 percent
- Revogi Smart Lightbulb, Smart Lightstrip, Smart Candle + Smart Meter Plug
- Audeze iSine10 In-Ear Headphones
- MOCACARE MOCACuff Connected Blood Pressure Monitor
- Apple AirPods
- Elgato Eve Motion
- Olloclip Core Lens Set for iPhone 7/7 Plus
- Logitech Pop Home Switch Starter Pack
- Elgato Eve Light Switch
- iHome iPLWBT5 Docking Clock Radio for iPhone and Apple Watch
- Brydge 12.9 iPad Pro Keyboard
- Top Five: The Best Products for Building a Smart Home with HomeKit
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of watchOS 3
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of tvOS 10
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 10
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Photos gets Advanced Computer Vision
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Music app delivers ‘clarity and simplicity’
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Maps gets a major redesign
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 shakes up the user experience
- Inside the betas: watchOS 3 promises a real speed boost
- Inside the betas: A sneak peek at what’s new in tvOS 10