5G iPod and subtitles
Ask iLounge offers readers the opportunity to get answers to their iPod-, iPhone-, iPad-, iTunes-, or Apple TV-related questions from a member of the iLounge editorial team. We'll answer several questions here each week, and of course, you can always get help with more immediate concerns from the iLounge Discussion Forums. Submit your questions for consideration using our Ask iLounge Submit Form. We reserve the right to edit questions for grammar, spelling, and length.
Q: Does the iPod classic fifth generation support subtitles when movies are played on its built-in screen or on TV?
A: For the sake of clarity, the term “iPod classic” generally refers only to the 2007 model iPod, which is by definition the sixth generation iPod model.
Assuming that you are referring to the fifth-generation iPod released in 2005/2006, rather than the current iPod classic, this model does not support encoded subtitles (sometimes referred to as “soft subtitles”) in the way that the newer 2007 iPod models do. This means that any movies that have soft captions or subtitles will not display these captions/subtitles on a fifth-generation iPod. The movie itself will still play fine, but any soft subtitles will not be shown.
At this time, however, the availability of encoding tools that will add soft subtitle support to videos that you encode or convert yourself is still very limited, so you are likely only going to find soft subtitles on content purchased from the iTunes Store at this point.
Most of the iPod conversion tools available right now that do offer subtitle support instead actually use “hard” subtitles. These are subtitles that are embedded in the picture, rather than being stored as a separate subtitle track. Naturally any display device will present hard subtitles during playback, since they are part of the video image itself. However, for the same reason you will not be able to turn these subtitles off (again, since they are part of the image, rather than an overlaid subtitle track generated by the device).
Although it is certainly possible that Apple could add subtitle support to the fifth-generation iPod with a firmware update, this seems unlikely at this time, since even the most recent v1.3 firmware update has not added this capability.
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?
- How do I keep my iPhone calls from ringing on my Mac?
- Why doesn’t Traffic show up on my Today Notifications Screen?
- Why doesn’t my iPhone reconnect to Wi-Fi after I turn it on?
- Why can’t I see the iPad-style landscape view on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- CBS CEO Moonves notes Apple talks have stopped
- Apple will source iPhone 7 ‘A10’ CPU solely from TSMC
- Federal bill aims to take regulatory power for phone encryption out of state hands
- Job post shows Apple emphasizing new complications, faces for Apple Watch
- New comments hint at forthcoming streaming TV service from Apple
- Apple Music available on Sonos starting today
- Screen protector installation now available at Apple Stores
- Russia mulling tax increase on App Store purchases, other Apple services
- Lawyers threaten to sue Apple over ‘Error 53’ codes disabling iPhones
- Apple releases iOS 9.3 beta 3, tvOS 9.2 beta 3, watchOS 2.2 beta 3 to developers
- Vicks SmartTemp Wireless Smartphone Thermometer
- Gumdrop Cases DropTech Case for iPad Pro
- Edifier MP700 Rave Portable Bluetooth Speaker
- Just Mobile HoverDock for Apple Watch + HoverDock for iPhone
- VRS Design Dandy Layered Case for iPad Pro
- Just Mobile TENC for iPad Pro
- Native Union DOCK Lightning
- Native Union DOCK for Apple Watch
- Hitcase Pro+ Action Pack and Snap for iPhone 6/6s
- Urban Armor Gear Trooper for iPhone 6/6s
- Inside the betas: What’s new in iOS 9.3 and tvOS 9.2 (Updated)
- Life with HomeKit: Our experiences with Apple’s home automation system
- Under the Radar: 10 ‘hidden’ details about the new Apple TV
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 9.0
- Under the Radar: A closer look at smaller iPhone 6s and iPhone 6s Plus changes
- A First Look at iOS 9’s Transit in Apple Maps (Updated for watchOS 2)
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iTunes 12.2
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 8.4 + Apple Music
- CE Week 2015: IK Multimedia, Monowear’s Apple Watch bands + More
- Live From CE Week 2015: Brand New iPad, iPhone + Mac Accessories!