5G iPod loading hangs indefinitely
Ask iLounge offers readers the opportunity to get answers to their iPod-, iPhone-, iPad-, iTunes-, or Apple TV-related questions from a member of the iLounge editorial team. We'll answer several questions here each week, and of course, you can always get help with more immediate concerns from the iLounge Discussion Forums. Submit your questions for consideration using our Ask iLounge Submit Form. We reserve the right to edit questions for grammar, spelling, and length.
Q: I’m trying to get my new 5G iPod loaded. Most of the songs download to the iPod OK, but some randomly “stick” when trying to put them on iPod from library. iTunes ends up hanging, and has to be restarted.
I’ve tried removing the errant songs, but then some others stick down the line that have previously been taken in by the iPod.
A: One of our editors’ initial fifth-generation iPod exhibited exactly the same symptoms. The transfer would begin normally, but pause indefinitely (crashing iTunes) on nearly any (random) song in a many-gigabyte synchronization. After extensive testing (including simple non-iTunes data transfers using the iPod’s hard drive functionality), we eventually concluded it was a hardware issue.
Our local Apple Store gladly replaced the iPod, and our replacement has worked flawlessly since.
That said, we urge you not to jump to this final conclusion without trying some troubleshooting steps first:
1) If you can, try it on a different computer, with a different music library.
2) Try restoring the iPod’s software using the latest iPod Software Updater.
3) Try reinstalling iTunes.
4) Try loading a large amount of non-music data onto the iPod’s hard drive to see if the problem lies with iTunes or the iPod’s drive.
If none of these help to resolve your issue, you’re almost sure to have a hardware problem… contact Apple.
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?
- How do I keep my iPhone calls from ringing on my Mac?
- Why doesn’t Traffic show up on my Today Notifications Screen?
- Why doesn’t my iPhone reconnect to Wi-Fi after I turn it on?
- Why can’t I see the iPad-style landscape view on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- Apple releases fourth betas of iOS 10.3.2, watchOS 3.2.2, and tvOS 10.2.1
- Images claim to show iPhone 8 prototype with glass back, vertical camera
- Apple works on alternative power sources, new uses for waste heat in Denmark data center
- Training documents reveal safety details about Apple’s self-driving car system
- Supply shortfalls of upgraded components may delay iPhone 8 production to October/November
- Apple recruits two Google Satellite Executives
- Nike unveils new Nike-exclusive ‘Apple Watch NikeLab’
- Prince single ‘Deliverance’ disappears from Apple Music
- Apple releases 2017 Environmental Responsibility Report
- iDevices Wall Outlet
- Koogeek Wi-Fi SmartSocket for Apple HomeKit
- Sony MDR-1000X Wireless Noise-Canceling Headphones
- FiiO i1 Lightning to 3.5mm Headphone Adapter
- Blue Ella Headphones
- Apple iPad (Fifth-Generation)
- AudioQuest NightOwl Carbon Headphones
- ExoLens PRO with Optics by ZEISS Wide-Angle Lens Kit
- Blue Sadie Headphones
- Circle with Disney Parental Control and Internet Filtering System
- Top Five: The Best Products for Building a Smart Home with HomeKit
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of watchOS 3
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of tvOS 10
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 10
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Photos gets Advanced Computer Vision
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Music app delivers ‘clarity and simplicity’
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Maps gets a major redesign
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 shakes up the user experience
- Inside the betas: watchOS 3 promises a real speed boost
- Inside the betas: A sneak peek at what’s new in tvOS 10