5G iPod loading hangs indefinitely
Ask iLounge offers readers the opportunity to get answers to their iPod-, iPhone-, iPad-, iTunes-, or Apple TV-related questions from a member of the iLounge editorial team. We'll answer several questions here each week, and of course, you can always get help with more immediate concerns from the iLounge Discussion Forums. Submit your questions for consideration using our Ask iLounge Submit Form. We reserve the right to edit questions for grammar, spelling, and length.
Q: I’m trying to get my new 5G iPod loaded. Most of the songs download to the iPod OK, but some randomly “stick” when trying to put them on iPod from library. iTunes ends up hanging, and has to be restarted.
I’ve tried removing the errant songs, but then some others stick down the line that have previously been taken in by the iPod.
A: One of our editors’ initial fifth-generation iPod exhibited exactly the same symptoms. The transfer would begin normally, but pause indefinitely (crashing iTunes) on nearly any (random) song in a many-gigabyte synchronization. After extensive testing (including simple non-iTunes data transfers using the iPod’s hard drive functionality), we eventually concluded it was a hardware issue.
Our local Apple Store gladly replaced the iPod, and our replacement has worked flawlessly since.
That said, we urge you not to jump to this final conclusion without trying some troubleshooting steps first:
1) If you can, try it on a different computer, with a different music library.
2) Try restoring the iPod’s software using the latest iPod Software Updater.
3) Try reinstalling iTunes.
4) Try loading a large amount of non-music data onto the iPod’s hard drive to see if the problem lies with iTunes or the iPod’s drive.
If none of these help to resolve your issue, you’re almost sure to have a hardware problem… contact Apple.
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?
- How do I keep my iPhone calls from ringing on my Mac?
- Why doesn’t Traffic show up on my Today Notifications Screen?
- Why doesn’t my iPhone reconnect to Wi-Fi after I turn it on?
- Why can’t I see the iPad-style landscape view on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- Spotify claims Apple anti-competitively blocking Spotify app update
- Sen. Elizabeth Warren accuses Apple, others, of locking out competition
- Cirrus Logic releases development kit for Lightning headphones
- Report details Apple Music’s vision for exclusive content
- Walgreens adds digital coupons to Apple Pay
- China orders Apple and others to monitor, report on app users
- South Korea regulators investigating Apple
- Apple Q3 earnings call set for July 26
- Apple’s UK tax bill under scrutiny
- Apple lays out ‘differential privacy’ plan for data collection
- IK Multimedia iKlip A/V
- ClamCase ClamCase+ for iPad Air 2
- Philips Hue White Ambience Starter Kit
- Naim Audio Mu-so Qb Speaker
- Phiaton BT 460 Wireless Bluetooth Headphones
- Zagg Slim Book for 9.7” iPad Pro
- Element Case Ronin for iPhone 6/6s
- JBL Clip 2 Wireless Bluetooth Speaker
- Audio-Technica ATH-SR5BT Wireless On-Ear Headphones
- Catalyst Case for iPad mini 4
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Photos gets Advanced Computer Vision
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Music app delivers ‘clarity and simplicity’
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Maps gets a major redesign
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 shakes up the user experience
- Inside the betas: watchOS 3 promises a real speed boost
- Inside the betas: A sneak peek at what’s new in tvOS 10
- Filling the Gap: A look at third-party HomeKit apps
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of tvOS 9.2
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 9.3
- Opinion: Why Apple needs a dedicated HomeKit app