A look at the iPod mini | iLounge Article

Article

A look at the iPod mini

By Dennis Lloyd

Publisher, iLounge
Published: Wednesday, January 14, 2004
Articles Categories: First Looks

While at Macworld, I had the chance to check out Apple’s brand new iPod mini. Straight from the show floor, here’s iLounge’s first official take on the little player.

Just Big Enough for a Scroll Wheel

The pictures show just how much smaller the iPod mini is by comparison to its older, bigger brother. As Apple notes, iPod mini is about the width and height of a business card, but thicker (3.6” high by 2.0” wide by 0.5” deep). As noted by weblogger John Gruber, “The iPod mini weighs 33 percent less (104 vs. 158 grams) and takes up 41 percent less space (3.6 vs. 6.1 cubic inches).” Despite my large hands, the mini fit comfortably in my palm: its rounded sides and footprint evoke a small “candybar” style cellular phone, and I found the newly integrated wheel with buttons to be easy to use.

pic
pic
pic

As the iPod mini represents an entirely new case and body design for Apple, most of the older iPod’s features have been moved or made smaller to accommodate the smaller body. The touchwheel is roughly the same size as the iPod’s, but now has four integrated function buttons (Menu, Play/Pause, Back and Forward) to replace the four face buttons from both prior iPod designs. But how does it feel? In our limited preview, we thought that the new wheel design was great - scrolling and pushing the button with one motion is a joy. You still slide your finger around the wheel to scroll, but each icon on the wheel represents a button; simply depress it and the corresponding action occurs (Play/Pause, Back, etc.). Those that found the touch buttons on the iPod to be a bit over-sensitive will agree that this is just a better way of navigating menus.

Tradeoffs: Saying Goodbye to Old Conventions and Peripherals (Again)

The pictures show it all: for the first time in iPod design, the LCD display on the iPod mini has been shrunk noticeably in order to accommodate the smaller form factor. At a 1.67” size (16.5% smaller than the iPod’s 2” LCD), the new screen somewhat hinders the readability of long song names in your playlists, truncating song titles by 2 or 3 characters under the iPod’s larger display. The LCD has the same backlight and greyscale output as the iPod. Is it going to glow white? Blue? Well, we won’t open that can of worms right now.

pic

Peeking at the top of the mini, Apple has moved the earphone port to the right and flipped the ‘Hold’ switch to the left. The positioning (and changes to the technology inside the mini) may well complicate or preclude the use of older iPod peripherals such as Belkin’s Voice Recorder, though Apple’s going out of its way to say that the mini is merely a music player, nothing more. The top and bottom of the iPod mini are covered in a white plastic, as opposed to the iPod’s metal finish. The bottom of the mini features the same dock connector as the iPod, albeit with less iPod on either side, making the device unsuitable for use with older iPod docks.

New Metal, New Holes, Less Smears

If you look closely at the bottom of the mini (above), you’ll notice two small holes. One’s on each end in the metal, both just outside of the white plastic area. Their purpose: to attach 3rd-party add-on devices. A small FM transmitter? ...An extra battery pack? The mind races.

pic

You’ll also notice all the fingerprints on the iPod 20GB (above) compared to the mini. An Apple representative said that the mini depicted above was handled by people all day long, but it shows no sign of smudges or finger prints - a nice feature of the mini, and a potential boon for all of us who have been obsessively cleaning and shining the rear mirror surface of our original iPods. The metal casing of the mini is anodized aluminum with a matte finish.

Even an iPod Owner is Anxiously Awaiting iPod mini

All in all, I was pleased with the new iPod mini. Teens and the fashion conscious will be buying minis to “accessorize,” and surely this will be the workout-ready iPod athletes have been waiting for. But how about the rest of us? Only time will tell if the mini can equal the iPod in sales and ‘cool’ factor. I’ll have a full review posted as soon as my mini (silver) arrives. Apple says it will begin to ship minis in February, with worldwide distribution to follow in April.

« The iPod mini Reaction Roundup

How to create smart playlists in iTunes »

Comments

So…. Gorgeous.

I really hope the 4G full-size iPods have the same anodized aluminum finish/style with the new scroll wheel as well.  I love the construction of the new mini, and when I see a full-size version of the iPod with the construction of the mini and 40+GB capacity, I’ll purchase it immediately.  :-D

Posted by Jerrod H. in TX on January 14, 2004 at 12:01 PM (PDT)

I really love the new click wheel! I think it’s a great step forward in the ipod’s evolution, and the silver aluminum finish is perfect… not all to intersted in the colors, but hey my personal taste is but a portion of all consumers. It’s on my list of things to get!

Posted by tao on January 14, 2004 at 12:29 PM (PDT)

sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeettt!!!
lovin’ it so much,
but i’m already dating her older sister,
and i won’t cheat on her raspberry

Posted by pepijn on January 14, 2004 at 1:23 PM (PDT)

The article should be corrected to say the mini iPod is 2.0” wide, not 2.9”.  I kept looking at the picture thinking there’s no way that thing is 2.9” wide unless it’s some weird angle!  After pulling out my credit card and realizing the mini is even smaller than that, I’m really thinking about getting one.

Posted by chinhster on January 14, 2004 at 1:27 PM (PDT)

i really wonder how you would manage to reset it or force it into firewire mode since it seems wuite difficult to press two buttons at the same time?!

Posted by marco on January 14, 2004 at 1:42 PM (PDT)

you spread your fingers.

Posted by dav on January 14, 2004 at 1:47 PM (PDT)

I have way too much music for a minipod… however I hope that the anodised finish and the new click wheel make it to the next gen of ipods.

Posted by camson in Melbourne, Australia on January 14, 2004 at 1:51 PM (PDT)

spread your fingers…well, thats actually a good idea…but wait…oh, thats what i already thought of…anyone who understood my question?

Posted by marco on January 14, 2004 at 2:23 PM (PDT)

One of the news items here linked to a story that mentioned the “two buttons at the same time” question.  Apparently it is possible to press two buttons on opposite sides of the scroll wheel at the same time, which can reset the mini, and then pressing two different buttons directs you to a diagnostic menu where you can select a variety of options (including firewire disk mode, I imagine).

Posted by Meredith on January 14, 2004 at 2:56 PM (PDT)

sorry marco, I just had to say it :-p

Posted by dav on January 14, 2004 at 2:59 PM (PDT)

I already ordered one (pink) for my wife’s Valentine’s Day gift - those things are sweet!
And, I gotta tell ya, I’ll likely order one for myself - the style, quality, and size rock.
They will sell, but they will sell more once the drives grow and/or the price drops.

Posted by sb on January 14, 2004 at 5:24 PM (PDT)

anyone else hear that the power per channel(mw) was lowered? I have heard a couple people say that you have to turn it up more to equal the output of the 3rd gen ipods?

Posted by Halvie on January 14, 2004 at 6:16 PM (PDT)

ridiculous machine…
1st point: there was a MUVO 4Giga before this mini ipod…sorry guys, this ipod is an imitation concept and that muvo is way cheaper… Apple keeps loosing points (there are superior devices that the real ipod… and for less)

this mini is UGLY! and I of course, like any person with a minimum sense of style prefer the original one… that back mirror is beautifull and is the reason why the ipod is so attractive…this new alluminium crap in the mini is = to Jukebox NX! same crap… nothing speacial! and yu guys like it? just because fo teh fingerprints issue (whihc is perfectly normal?) BAH!
idiots… sorry, but it’s pure stupidity.
liek this mini ipod: expensive, ugly, looks like it’s been cut off, ugly colours… no extra funtions…
a sell out…
#### it! I hope the 4G has NOTHING TO DO WITH THAT ON

the only positive thing: the whell (perhaps…)

Posted by Joo on January 14, 2004 at 7:45 PM (PDT)

Joao, you’re a liar or an idiot!

The Muvo 1.5G is $200 and the 4Gig lists at $350. It is “on sale” right now for $299 or $50 more than the iPod mini. Although this is as small as the mini, it has a display that is totally unusable and micro controls that will not be nearly as easy to work with as the iPod mini.

The iPod was successful not only because it was small and stylish, but because it had a killer interface. Apple didn’t compromise anything and people were willing to pay the price. The mini is the same thing all over again.

BTW - I have not seen this in person but it appears that everyone who has, really likes the look.

Posted by Doug Petrosky on January 14, 2004 at 8:38 PM (PDT)

wow joao you sound real smart and persuasive smile

if u think everyone likes exactly what u like… who’s stupid?

my pink mini is on the way… wish it was febuary!

Posted by Mac Beth on January 14, 2004 at 9:06 PM (PDT)

ipod mini is listed at $249.00 at Amazon.com for pre order

Posted by Paul Rouse on January 14, 2004 at 11:55 PM (PDT)

Amazon price is correct.  $249 is suggested list price.  So far the color most ordered is silver.  Interestingly the “new” wheel is very similar to the original one with the buttons around it.  Only the way it works is slightly different.

Posted by Peter on January 15, 2004 at 4:18 AM (PDT)

I have a first generation iPod and love its scroll wheel.  My music library is far too large for its 5GB disk, but I hold onto it as I dislike the current wheels on the full sized ipods

Hopefully this new wheel will come to the full sized line!

Posted by steve on January 15, 2004 at 4:52 AM (PDT)

You mentioned the small holes in the bottom of the iPod mini….are you sure they are for 3rd party devices?  I had read that the iPod mini was supposed to be easier to open up in order to replace batteries and such, and since most 3rd party developers are more than likely going to use the dock port for anything, I would guess that the small holes are nothing more than screw holes.

Posted by rs on January 15, 2004 at 4:58 AM (PDT)

Wow…they edited screw holes…..  so you know what I was saying…they are like nails, but you use a screwdriver to fasten them.

Also this business about your entire library fitting on it….It never was really intended to put all your music on it…it was simply intended to be smaller and easier to use while doing more physical activities, to compete with the flash technology ones that are great because they are small and easy to use while working out and so forth.  And I know I cannot fit all of my music on one of those flash ones.  They simply serve a different purpose.  Might I remind you that it will still take more than 3 days listening to your iPod continuously before you will hear every song on a 4 GB drive.

Posted by rs on January 15, 2004 at 5:06 AM (PDT)

marco: The reset sequence is different for the iPod mini.

Posted by Atomic Bomb in Mid-Atlantic on January 15, 2004 at 5:14 AM (PDT)

I agree with RS, but i’m pretty sure the holes arent’ meant to transfer anything, i think theyre just meant to anchor any peripheral into it… smile

Posted by fnarfy in j on January 15, 2004 at 6:09 AM (PDT)

steve and other seem to not understand how the iPod mini scroll wheel works…

First off the scroll wheel DOES NOT TURN. It is a solid state wheel just like the 2G and 3G iPods. What it does do is slighly rock in and out at the 4 cardinal points of the wheel. Basically you smoothly move your finger over the wheel for turning functions and push inward causing a true movement inward to push a button.

The wheel DOES NOT ROTATE. do not think this is like the 1G wheel, it is NOT.

Posted by Dave on January 15, 2004 at 6:12 AM (PDT)

steve and other seem to not understand how the iPod mini scroll wheel works…

The wheel DOES NOT ROTATE. do not think this is like the 1G wheel, it is NOT.

Posted by Dave on January 15, 2004 at 6:12 AM (PDT)

The most annoying thing is, I just paid 299 ($544) for a 20Gb 3rd Gen iPod.  Yes we are getting ripped off here in the UK. Literally two days later i here about the mini. I’m still happy with my choice. iTrips, voice recorders… everything u need. Ipod mini doesnt come out until ‘later this year’ (in the UK) and prices are undisclosed. Anyone willing to buy me a mini form the US?

Posted by Matt on January 15, 2004 at 6:25 AM (PDT)

I would be willing to buy one for you and ship it to the UK, of course for an extra convenience charge.  Let me know if you’re interested.  My email is:  .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)

You can check my trading credibility on ebay.  My user id is:  HEQUIBAL (90 positive feedback, 100% positive)

Posted by Mike on January 15, 2004 at 6:36 AM (PDT)

Well, the nicest thing about th iPod mini, from my perspective, is that it’s only a matter of time before there’s a 10gb version, and then a 20gb version.

Currently I’ve got a 10gb 1st gen iPod, and I’m waaay to spoiled by the capacity to even think about buying something with less storage… that is, unless it’s a $50.00 flash-based, pea sized unit to be used just for jogging.

Posted by Another Dave on January 15, 2004 at 6:38 AM (PDT)

@Dave

thats realy bad i get my 20gb ipod at end of the moth a friend of mine gets me one from the us for 370$ ~ 290. i think apple make a big mistake with this high price in europ…. maybe they havent heard about 1~1,3$

greating from berlin
kendo

Posted by Kendo on January 15, 2004 at 8:27 AM (PDT)

“Anyone willing to buy me a mini form the US?” - Matt

Hey Matt, I’m in Seattle, and I’d be happy to help you buy a Mini - with no charge.  You can reach me at: .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)

Cheers,

Rick

Posted by GearHead in Seattle on January 15, 2004 at 9:00 AM (PDT)

one of anodized metal ones…in ipod white…

forever :D

Posted by Brock on January 15, 2004 at 9:01 AM (PDT)

if you think $249 for ipod mini is expensive, try to get just the 4GB Hitachi Microdrive by itself.

A guy got a Nomad MuVo2 just to break it open and get the 4GB Microdrive for his digital camera.

Posted by changwei on January 15, 2004 at 12:58 PM (PDT)

sorry, here’s the link to the above

Posted by changwei on January 15, 2004 at 12:59 PM (PDT)

That’s pretty funny. Of course, the best use for the Nomad would have been to leave it in pieces. Ouch.

No seriously, he forgot to include the cost of the 1GB microdrive in his final analysis. It does make me laugh to see all the complainers out there ######## about the price of the iPod mini when the hard drive purchased alone is $150 more than the device. Amazing. When will these idiots ever get a clue?

Posted by Atomic Bomb in Mid-Atlantic on January 15, 2004 at 1:06 PM (PDT)

Atomic, a lot of people, myself included, fail to see the value of the Mini when compared to the 15GB iPod.  That doesn’t mean that the Minis don’t have value nor does it mean that they’re overpriced.  It means that it’s hard to justify paying $250 for a 4GB player, when for just $50 more you can have 15GB (more than 3X the capacity) in a slightly larger unit.
Many people like me couldn’t justify buying one when considering the 15GB.

Posted by GearHead in Seattle on January 15, 2004 at 1:15 PM (PDT)

GearHead: Then, as has been said by many on this subject, don’t buy the mini. Problem solved.

Clearly you don’t place a value on form factor. No problem. Then why stop with a 15GB iPod? If form factor isn’t a concern, then spend an extra $150 and you can get a 120GB music player - a Dell Dimension desktop. Sure, it’s a slightly larger unit, but you get so much more capacity.

The people who are buying the iPod mini clearly don’t care about the capacity. They don’t need to listen to 13 days of uninterrupted music (or whatever 15GB translates into). For them, the iPod mini fits more than enough music, and what matters is the fact that it weighs less than the iPod, is the size of a business card, has a really cool look (subjective), and - get this - is $50 less! They get everything they want and need, and they get it for less money.

If value for capacity was such an issue, then why was the best selling iPod the 10GB (predecessor to the current 15GB)? I mean, for just $100 more you could get twice the capacity (plus a bunch of accessories)! Or for just $100 more than that you could get 40GB. Clearly the best value in terms of storage was the least-selling 40GB model. That kind of goes against your logic, eh?

No matter, the iPod mini is already outpacing the iPod in orders. So I guess you and the lot of people like you aren’t the only customers Apple has.

Posted by Atomic Bomb in Mid-Atlantic on January 15, 2004 at 1:33 PM (PDT)

You apparently think I’m arguing against the mini.  <sigh> Whatever.

You know what, Atomic, in my attempt to help you understand the perspective of the “idiots (without a clue)”, I must have not have gotten my point through, or you didn’t read my post.  Judging by your comparison between a Dell Dimension and an iPod, you’ve got hyperbole down to a science, but maybe not comprehension.

You don’t have to explain to me the positive attributes of the iPod mini.  It’s pretty clear that the mini is a great player, just aimed at a market segment that makes purchases on a different basis than I do.  But before you get your panties too far into a bunch, realize that I’m just trying to help you understand some logic that you apparently don’t get.

Here is the concept really simply:  We’re not talking about two products that worlds apart in size, or price.  Just capacity.  For me, the insignificant size and appearance differences weren’t enough to justify buying one.  That doesn’t mean they don’t matter at all, just not enough for me.

You’re right, Apple clearly has plenty of customers that care more about size and form, and don’t put a premium on capacity.  Well bully for them.  Now they’ve got the player they’ve been looking for, and I completely understand why.  I’m curious if you understand anything beyond your own perspective.

Scratch that, curiosity gone.

Posted by GearHead in Seattle on January 15, 2004 at 1:55 PM (PDT)

GearHead: As my last post clearly stated, “the people who are buying the iPod mini clearly don’t care about the capacity.” Since you do care about capacity and you place more value on that than form factor (as I also alluded to), then I do understand your perspective. Whether or not I care is another thing altogether.

But, Rick, if you’re so open and gracious - as your last post seems to imply - then why address my original post with a defensive remark about the 15GB iPod when I never referenced that at all.

Oh, and I actually agree with you on this one. If I were to buy an iPod today, there’s no doubt I’d buy the 15GB. But that’s just me.

Posted by Atomic Bomb in Mid-Atlantic on January 15, 2004 at 2:11 PM (PDT)

Why don’t you two just get it over with and start making out with one another.

Posted by Me on January 15, 2004 at 8:59 PM (PDT)

I have an original 5GB iPod and although I’m a professional musician, I still have over 1GB free on it!  I use it all the time for practice purposes, memorization, a quick demo of my own recordings if necessary, and to listen to random stuff for enjoyment.  With its backlight and readable screen, it’s also really nice for driving directions at night.  This new iPod mini is so much smaller than my original iPod that I’m tempted to replace my old standby.  Of course, I might hold off on that because when my wife saw that they came in pink and that she could have her name engraved on it for free, it appeared as if my $250 was going somewhere else.  Suffice it to say that these will be hot sellers, especially since most people really don’t have a need or desire to take more than 1,000 tracks around town with them!

Matthew

Posted by SuperMatt on January 15, 2004 at 11:35 PM (PDT)

I fail to see the logic behind most of these posts…

Apple are making a huge marketing mistake.

The success of the iPod was unparalleled and the resons are clearly justified, it’s easy to use, can contain most individuals entire music collection and contains various other features…at a price from $299 and oh my god free engraving…

However, although pricy it did prove popular and a large percentage of the target market is now the owner of one.

The new ipod mini is incredibly similar minus the fact that it only hold 1,000 songs compared to 3,700 of the smallest model from the ipod range and it comes in another colour and has a different control wheel…oh and ever so slightly smaller.

One has to question who Apple are marketing this product to, in my opinion it would be exactly the same target group as the ipod, perhaps including a new target group of people with more money than sense?

Do Apple not realise that the original targeted group are highly unlikely to purchase a second mp3 player, which when one does maths correctly (ahem) works out that purchasing the new iPod mini is paying $62.25 for each GB whereas an individual who purchased the 15 GB (smallest) iPod only paid $19.33 (approx) per GB.

Personally I find this rather insulting of Apple to think that they could fool people like this into purchasing an obvious but standard rip-off.

Chococat

Posted by Chococat on January 16, 2004 at 3:22 AM (PDT)

I fail to see the logic behind most of these posts…

Apple are making a huge marketing mistake.

Chococat

Posted by Chococat on January 16, 2004 at 3:24 AM (PDT)

ack…sorry

Posted by Chococat on January 16, 2004 at 3:24 AM (PDT)

“...and ever so slightly smaller.” - Chococat

Once you see one in person, you’ll realize how significantly smaller it actually is. The difference is striking. My iPod seems huge in comparison now.

As Jobs said, they’re going after a completely different group of buyers now. Your comparison of capacity to cost just doesn’t matter to those people. After all, many have been paying $200 for a 256MB player.

Nobody is saying the iPod mini is for everyone. Based on the staggering rate of orders, though, it’s apparently right for quite a few people out there.

Posted by Atomic Bomb in Mid-Atlantic on January 16, 2004 at 3:39 AM (PDT)

“After all, many have been paying $200 for a 256MB player”

This may be true but was a better product out on the market at the same time?

Chococat

Posted by Chococat on January 16, 2004 at 3:51 AM (PDT)

However, upon reflection of the product and the company in general, Apple has the ability and an obligation infact, to price the ipod mini at the price it is at, as these products have a powerful brand image, and the pricing strategy maintains this.

But that doesn’t mean I have to buy one either…^_^

Chococat

Posted by Chococat on January 16, 2004 at 4:10 AM (PDT)

so ugly…..

Posted by ti on January 16, 2004 at 7:58 AM (PDT)

Jeezus.  If YOU don’t like it, DON’T buy one.
I have talked to MANY people who are/will.
I am one - my wife didn’t want an iPod until now.
I paid $500 for a 5GB model.
I just paid $225 for a new pink Mini.
I’m happy with every iPod I’ve bought owned.
If you think it’s stupid, STFU and don’t buy one.

Simple, eh?

Posted by sb on January 16, 2004 at 11:14 AM (PDT)

After grabbing some thick cardboard and cutting out a piece 3.6 X 2.0 it is only then that you truely realise what a mini marvel this is going to be. This will overtake it’s big brother as Apples No1 selling player. I own the 5GB and 20GB model and will be adding this beauty to my collection. Well done Apple!

Am I right in thinking the UK won’t get it until April 2004?

If that’s the case, then I will be calling on some of my American buddies to ship one out to me immediately.

Posted by Mr Underhill on January 16, 2004 at 12:10 PM (PDT)

For all those of you wondering who Apple is marketing to….
I’m in my mid-thirties.  I just figured out what an iPod was over Christmas.  I really don’t listen to that much music.  I would like to have an iPod for at the gym, beach, and for jogging.  That’s about it.  It will look great matching with my designer handbags too.  There you have it.  All I want is a cute little music machine that can stick with me for exercise, etc.  Oh…the downloading of songs off the internet sounds easy too.  I’ve never downloaded a single song yet.

For those of you who love music….buy the more expensive ones.  I’ll be waiting for my mini in Feb.

Posted by Aim on January 16, 2004 at 12:15 PM (PDT)

If Apple intends to market the mini to people who work out with it, my question is this:  Are there any improvements in the skip protection with the new one?

Until I got an armband for my 3G iPod, it was somewhat useless while wearing it on my belt, as after 20 minutes or so into my run, it would skip badly.  If this deficiency was improved, it might motivate me to get one.

Does anyone have any info about this?

Posted by DaPipes on January 16, 2004 at 7:33 PM (PDT)

After seeing the 1GB Microdrive in the posts above, I still think Apple made a HUGE mistake in making a 4GB Mini as the first model for $249.

I understand about selling coolness and size and agree that the mini vs. 15GB is a stupid argument.

I have owned two 10GB iPods, Gen 1 and Gen 3, and when I was at Macworld if Apple introduced the Mini in a 1GB size for $169 or less, I would have bought one on the spot for it’s small size and form factor.

I have a 10GB 500mhz iBook and a 867 Quicksilver and use a keydrive to move small files and use the iPod to move larger files and to sync documents.

If I could have a 1GB firewire Hard Drive that is SMALL and PLAYS MUSIC, for less than $150, I’d be in HEAVEN!

They should have used the 1GB micro drive at a sub $200 price point and introduced the 4GB later.

Think of the ads, 4 times the space for only $50 more! Everyone would have been happy including those who argue about the 15GB vs Mini.

Posted by Art on January 16, 2004 at 7:34 PM (PDT)

Ugly…ugly…ugly.
The new ipod minis look so cheap not like ‘apple’ at all!

Posted by samuel sparrow on January 17, 2004 at 4:07 AM (PDT)

It should be called the chavpod or the pauperpod, bringing out a cheap version is like bringing out a budget version of a Jaguar car.

Apple, Noooo!

Posted by TobyJUG on January 17, 2004 at 4:39 AM (PDT)

as for skip protection i read an add for the mini and it said:

Even has the same 25min skip protection as its older brother does.
or sometin like that so i believe it’s not any better or that add would be dif

Posted by Nizzle in Canada on January 17, 2004 at 7:10 AM (PDT)

It’s all about the money JUG

Posted by Chococat on January 17, 2004 at 10:15 AM (PDT)

TobyJUG: There are two budget versions of Jaguar. They’re the X-Type and the S-Type.

Posted by Atomic Bomb in Mid-Atlantic on January 17, 2004 at 12:11 PM (PDT)

Posted by Dakota on January 17, 2004 at 4:26 PM (PDT)

does anyone know if theres a cheaper 4GB player on the market?

Posted by Syd on January 18, 2004 at 11:17 AM (PDT)

Dont think that there is any difference to the skip protection…  it will still skip after 20 mins…

Apple really needs to fix that!

FiZZ

Posted by FiZZ on January 18, 2004 at 6:46 PM (PDT)

“It looks ok I couldnt be any happier than I am with my 3-day old 10GB,It’s nice though.”
really? i thought you would’ve been happier getting a 15GB iPod for the same price.
BTW jogging with a hard-drive based player is not cool, no matter how good the player looks.  just get a small flash player that takes memory cards.

Posted by dafds23 on January 18, 2004 at 8:20 PM (PDT)

So have I got this right, iPod mini is currently available in stores in the US? My friend is going to LA next week, do you think he will be able to get one for me or have they sold out or something?

(i’m from sweden and they are not available here until april and then it’s probably cost more than $349)

Posted by anniara on January 20, 2004 at 10:57 AM (PDT)

GearHead and especially Chococat STFU!!

Like so many have said, dont like it dont buy it!

and chococat, stop trying to pretend your clever by doing a little bit of maths. Shut UP!

If your really dumb enough to think that all the ipod is, is a hard drive, then ok. however you fail to realise that youve still got the SAME capacity, battery, processor, Screen, chipboards etc.etc., not to mention the fact that they’re all smaller, and so are likely to cost more.
Seriously, stop trying to be big, and LOOK AT OTHER PEOPLES POINT OF VIEW!!!
its no use saying that the ipod minis are crap and no-one wants them compared to the 3rd gen ones, when sooooooo many people are buying them!!

At the end of the day, either come on and discuss why you dont think theyr that good, NICELY, not like “I fail to see the logic behind most of these posts… ” DON’T insult people, unless of course you cant get past your little world of insecurity and closed-mindedness that you have to attack people believes.

on a final note chococat- “Apple are making a huge marketing mistake.”
HAHAHA - retard

Beedle

Posted by Alex heaton on January 22, 2004 at 3:02 PM (PDT)

GearHead and especially Chococat STFU!!

Like so many have said, dont like it dont buy it!

Seriously, stop trying to be big, and LOOK AT OTHER PEOPLES POINT OF VIEW!!!

on a final note chococat- “Apple are making a huge marketing mistake.”
HAHAHA - retard

Beedle

Posted by Alex heaton on January 22, 2004 at 3:03 PM (PDT)

Oops, sorry bout that double post guys.

slight warning here, if your thinking of getting a mate to ship you an ipod, youll have to declare it and pay some stupid amount of tax. and if you dont, and they find it which they probably will, then theyll confiscate it. Same goes for if theyr comeing through the airport, the only possible way i can see of getting round that one, is if they take it out the box and flat pack the box and say that its their own player.

beedle

Posted by Alex Heaton on January 22, 2004 at 3:07 PM (PDT)

I predict the mini will drop to $200 very shortly…

Buy.com has the Creative Muvo2 4GB Mp3 player for only $198.82.

Amazon has Creative Muvo2 4GB Mp3 player for $199.99.

Posted by PriceDrop on January 23, 2004 at 9:47 AM (PDT)

There is a sinister consensus developing in our society.  Thousands of us are choosing Apples Ipod as the centuries
must have gadget.  Across the nation, the thin pearly white cord that sprouts from the inside jacket pocket and weaves
insidiously towards the ear and the brain marks the wearer as part of the podnescenti, the digital masons of the
entertainment age. With the launch of the mini Ipod, a smaller, more accessible version of the same device, we must
question the ultimate consequences of the mainstreaming of this machine.

To answer these questions we need to ask ourselves not what the devise does (store music, play it back, fit in your
pocket) but how it functions. The Ipods ultimate function is not music but social isolation.  It is designed to cut its host
of from all aural stimulation from the outside world, wherever they are.

Yet the genius of the device is the extra layer of narcissism and self-regard its storage and playlist facilities gives to the
process.  The Ipods host is caught eternally in a universe of their own music, their own tastes, their own memories.  The
Ipod is creating a multinational tribe of closed-circuit autists, inanely grinning as they listen to the greatest hits of a life
they have long stopped living.

Posted by david on January 26, 2004 at 7:32 AM (PDT)

If you wanna c teh actual size of the mini go to

A little too expensive I think but I can’t stand buying it (in APRIL!) Stupid releasedate..

Peace

Posted by debilio on January 27, 2004 at 5:53 AM (PDT)

hey. ive heard some rumors that the ipod mini’s screen is not very big and its hard to see is this true? I dont think so though

Posted by jo on January 28, 2004 at 3:45 AM (PDT)

Alex Heaton, thank you for your point of view, although it does outline your own primitiveness and insecurities it was much appreciated to read another point of view on the Mini iPod.

However, if you calmed down and actually read my post you should have picked up that I was not being insulting at all but merely stating a slight confusion, and only wanted to be set straight in a dignified fashion (which an individual managed to do, thank you Atomic Bomb also various other people) and on that point I admit I was wrong to say that “apple are making a huge marketing mistake” I had nt realised who they were marketing to in the first place.

Anyway, it was my BELIEF that it would make a much more effiecient purchase if one was to obtain the 15GB iPod as opose to the new Mini iPod, and also that the 15GB, 20GB and 40GB iPods are better looking.  But there is a fine line between belief and opinion and it is “closed-mindedness that you have to attack [my] believes”

Posted by Chococat on January 28, 2004 at 4:05 AM (PDT)

mini is ugly the original is so much cooler and who needs its to be smaller

Posted by fender_strat on February 1, 2004 at 11:05 AM (PDT)

mini is ugly the original is so much cooler and who needs its to be smaller

Posted by fender_strat on February 1, 2004 at 11:05 AM (PDT)

The mini is pretty cool, but not my cup of tea. I have about 1GB of music, selectivly culled from my entire CD collection, some audibooks and downloads from iTunes on my 20 GB. Why do people carry around music they will never listen to? I don’t know. But I’m happy with all my extra space- I could record every single lecture I sit for for years and have them immediatly accessable, or extract pictures from my digital camera on trips, and still have enough room for music. Even 4 GB is great, 13 hours of music! If apple releases a white (as opposed to silver) mini, I’d buy it. The colors do irk me a little- they bring to mind easter eggs and such. The iPod, and Apple in general, survive because of the interface, lightyears ahead of the others. I just think the people who bash it are kinda jealous…

Posted by esra in PA on February 3, 2004 at 2:18 PM (PDT)

Stupid people exist everywhere in the world. When a PDA comes out with a 4gig flash it will wipe out the IPOD completely. COMPLETELY

Posted by Mainland Styles on February 8, 2004 at 2:09 PM (PDT)

It’s funny how people can have such a heated argument over an iPOD mini.

They’re ALL cool. Get a life smile

Posted by RikW on February 10, 2004 at 9:23 AM (PDT)

iPods are to the soul
what inches are to yao Ming

Posted by Atomic Bomb on February 13, 2004 at 11:07 AM (PDT)

Atomic! you da man! haha… get him some chocolate lease! haha
love u bro!

RikW

Posted by RikW on February 13, 2004 at 11:09 AM (PDT)

Jarred! I know ur hiding behind that atomic name!  Get home right now!  were all at the dinner table! You are in so much trouble!

Posted by Atomic's mother on February 13, 2004 at 11:12 AM (PDT)

MOM!! I hate u! just leave me alone! IM at nathaniel’s house!

Posted by Atomic Bomb on February 13, 2004 at 11:13 AM (PDT)

you get your little butt back home or your never gonna be welcome again!

Posted by Atomic's mother on February 13, 2004 at 11:14 AM (PDT)

NO!! your so embarrassing! I never want to talk to u again!!

Posted by Atomic Bomb on February 13, 2004 at 11:15 AM (PDT)

I love how heated the debate is as to personal satisfaction. I bought a pod and it hated me, I returned and bought a rio karma. Its acceptable. The cool thing is I had the choice and I made it. Now when are the 4th gen pods coming??

Posted by vermin on February 13, 2004 at 2:49 PM (PDT)

The 4g ipod are coming out on feb 27! they cost 900 spankers…. but pepsi is having a constest and 3 in every 5 pepsi bottles win you a 4th gen iPod…. I have a freind who works for pepsi so he already got me two ipods!

Posted by ezra chipotle on February 14, 2004 at 7:44 AM (PDT)

Well my name is on the waiting list at my local Apple Store and I will be standing in line Friday to pick one up. I guess that qualifies me as one of the stupid people who care more about style, size, and color versus having one that has a capacity that is 15 times the size of my music collection and is just a little too big and a little too heavy to comfortably wear on my arm while walking, working, etc.

But then again I’ve been accused of being stupid for using a Mac too. I mean, why buy an elegant 17” widescreen 1 Ghz iMac which is a joy to use and never crashes, when for a third of the price I could have had a clucky buggy Windows pc that runs (sometimes) at 3 times the speed (and yet has an apparent speed 5 times slower) has double the memory and is compatible with hundreds of thousands of software titles I never use?

We all have different priorities when selecting hardware, but from my perspective the ipod mini is a more perfect choice than a 15GB iPod, and I suspect a lot of other people will feel the same. Would I be happier if it was priced 50.00 less? Of course! I’d also be happier if the 12” Powerbook was priced less than the 14” 1Ghz iBook- after all the same argument applies- it’s smaller, has a smaller screen, 20GB less capacity… But it aint going to happen so just get over it!

Posted by Ravenflight on February 16, 2004 at 10:03 PM (PDT)

some of you people are not understanding the sales and profit that apple are amking from this genius piece of technology. the product comes out on friday and there are over 100,000 orders for it already in a previous statement sometalked about it selling to ipod owners already. well if this is true where have these 100,000 customers come from.

it is obvious that the ipod mini is excellent, because it smaller and it is for the average perso non the go that is why it only holds so many songs wo is going to go out on a dayily run and listen to all 1000 songs it takes three days to listen to the whole collection of songs.

thanks matt302

Posted by matt302 on February 18, 2004 at 2:19 PM (PDT)

cant wait ipod mini is awsome although it could be a little less $$$$$$$

Posted by danny on February 19, 2004 at 7:02 AM (PDT)

I’m just wondering if it’s just me, but to me the mini doesn’t look that much smaller than the 3g iPod. I like the whole color scheme thingy, but couldn’t they have made a white one as well? And it does look like it’s been cut off at the top. I can understand the release of a smaller player in order to gain a greater market share, but I don’t understand all the hype. It’s not all that.

Posted by Alex on February 19, 2004 at 8:38 AM (PDT)

Well, I for one prefer the iPod Mini over the regular iPod.  I only have 200 MB of music right now, and occasionaly buy some music from the iTunes store.  I just can’t justify buying the 15GB model when I will probably only use 5% of it’s storage.  As far as ergonimics go, the mini is much better.  With the aluminum case that doesn’t show fingerprints as badly it is a better choice.  Its size is much smaller and the ClickWheel is an improvement.  The touch wheel was much too sensitive.

Posted by Me2 on February 19, 2004 at 9:14 AM (PDT)

i agree with me2 i have large music collection and will probably load all that music onto the ipod mini, but im seriously doubting listening to a thousand songs, and seriously can anyone tell me that they have completely filled there 40G ipod 3G. Anyway im really siked about the ipod mini and am ordering one, i like all the colors and will probably go for green blue or silver the size is imense!. the only problem is i live in the UK.

Posted by matto302 on February 20, 2004 at 2:01 AM (PDT)

hye raven flight ive a windows computer and it works like a charm. i mean who wants a 4 ghz wondows with 200Gig hardrive it rules s dont diss, plus there are more progrmas for it then imacs but i do liek them.

Posted by matto302 on February 20, 2004 at 2:07 AM (PDT)

the edges are too sharp

Posted by sl on February 20, 2004 at 6:04 AM (PDT)

hey all, sorry for all the questions but, i was just wondering if there is any reason y an american ipod mini wont work in the UK except for the charger? Will i have to use an adapter or what? And, does any1 know a good website where they do cheap shipping to the UK?*gasp* Final one, does any1 know exactly when they will be available in the UK and how much they will be?

Posted by dom on February 22, 2004 at 9:42 AM (PDT)

i think its a rip off. i bought my 10gb 10 GB iPod in january for 199, the same price as a iPod mini.

Posted by Reiss Smith on March 1, 2004 at 10:42 AM (PDT)

The mini still only has 20 minute jog protection if I remember what I read rightly, you could always try running faster for smaller periods ;p

Posted by Qball on March 5, 2004 at 8:26 AM (PDT)

is der such thing as a ipod coming out with a radio??????? i love the look of the ipod but really do want a rado, can any e mail me about this quiry as soon as possible       PLEAASSSSEEEEEEEE…....

Posted by brian on March 10, 2004 at 10:34 AM (PDT)

Sweet! The ipod mini is so cool! I wonder if it comes with the ability to instantly download songs instead of having to use the software? Who cares? I want one!.......

.....................oh, right, I need money…

Posted by KIL3 on April 1, 2004 at 4:50 PM (PDT)

I can not wait to get my silver ipod mini on june 29th!!!  I ordered it today and I do not want to wait any longer.  Its size will make it easy to take ANYWHERE!  It is also good that it has free shipping!

Posted by John on May 29, 2004 at 2:13 PM (PDT)

oy,  have you been saying stuff bout my muma? im gunna kick you ### ######

Posted by cock less lucas on August 11, 2004 at 1:40 AM (PDT)

i guess i read this a little late, ‘cause i got one. and anyone reading this right now (not that many) that is thinking of getting one for a person who has less than a 1,000 song collection, BUY THIS IPOD!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Alex on October 16, 2004 at 6:24 PM (PDT)

want a price on a 20GB IPOD with leather case

Posted by elliott on October 21, 2004 at 2:14 PM (PDT)

Ipod mini ROCKS just perfect for me

Posted by Dr Vic on November 13, 2004 at 12:13 AM (PDT)

Page 1 of 2 pages  1 2 >