About Skip Count
Ask iLounge offers readers the opportunity to get answers to their iPod-, iPhone-, iPad-, iTunes-, or Apple TV-related questions from a member of the iLounge editorial team. We'll answer several questions here each week, and of course, you can always get help with more immediate concerns from the iLounge Discussion Forums. Submit your questions for consideration using our Ask iLounge Submit Form. We reserve the right to edit questions for grammar, spelling, and length.
Q: iTunes only seems to register a “skipped” song when I skip a song in iTunes itself. When I skip a song playing on my iPod or iPhone it doesn’t seem to register in iTunes’ skip count. Interestingly, when my wife skips a song on her shuffle it seems to register in iTunes. Is this a common occurrence, and is there a solution that will allow me to keep track of skips so that my Smart Playlists exclude recently skipped songs?
A: Unfortunately, the “Skip Count” feature has not bee consistently implemented on all iPod models and firmware versions at this point.
Specifically, only the following iPod models actually support the “Skip Count” at this point:
- Fifth-generation iPod with firmware v1.2
- Second-generation iPod nano
- iPod classic
- iPod nano (with video)
- Second-generation iPod shuffle
At this point, skip counts are not tracked at all on the iPhone, iPod touch, or Apple TV, although this may certainly change with future firmware updates.
Even on the iPod models that do support tracking skip count, the skip count is only incremented when the track is skipped between the two second and thirty-second time intervals. Skipping a track before two seconds have elapsed or after you’ve listened to thirty seconds or more will not increment the skip count. Further, the skip count is only incremented on the iPod and in iTunes when you actually hit the “Next” button—skipping in reverse or simply exiting the track (by choosing a different track) does not increment the skip count either.
If you are using one of the supported iPod models and still find that the skip count is not incremented properly, you may wish to try a different firmware version, as it is entirely possible that this may not work reliably on all firmware versions.
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?
- How do I keep my iPhone calls from ringing on my Mac?
- Why doesn’t Traffic show up on my Today Notifications Screen?
- Why doesn’t my iPhone reconnect to Wi-Fi after I turn it on?
- Why can’t I see the iPad-style landscape view on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- Screen protector installation now available at Apple Stores
- Russia mulling tax increase on App Store purchases, other Apple services
- Lawyers threaten to sue Apple over ‘Error 53’ codes disabling iPhones
- Apple releases iOS 9.3 beta 3, tvOS 9.2 beta 3, watchOS 2.2 beta 3 to developers
- Indie game ‘The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth’ rejected by Apple over violence toward children
- Apple likely to receive approval to open retail stores in India
- Study finds Apple Watch is best fitness tracker for privacy, security
- Conflicting reports over pink color to be featured in iPhone 5se
- Report: Some third-party repairs ‘bricking’ iPhones with iOS 9
- Report: Apple to bid on NFL Thursday Night Football streaming rights
- Gumdrop Cases DropTech Case for iPad Pro
- Edifier MP700 Rave Portable Bluetooth Speaker
- Just Mobile HoverDock for Apple Watch + HoverDock for iPhone
- VRS Design Dandy Layered Case for iPad Pro
- Just Mobile TENC for iPad Pro
- Native Union DOCK Lightning
- Native Union DOCK for Apple Watch
- Hitcase Pro+ Action Pack and Snap for iPhone 6/6s
- Urban Armor Gear Trooper for iPhone 6/6s
- NEBO CaseBrite for iPhone 6 Plus/6s Plus
- Inside the betas: What’s new in iOS 9.3 and tvOS 9.2 (Updated)
- Life with HomeKit: Our experiences with Apple’s home automation system
- Under the Radar: 10 ‘hidden’ details about the new Apple TV
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 9.0
- Under the Radar: A closer look at smaller iPhone 6s and iPhone 6s Plus changes
- A First Look at iOS 9’s Transit in Apple Maps (Updated for watchOS 2)
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iTunes 12.2
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 8.4 + Apple Music
- CE Week 2015: IK Multimedia, Monowear’s Apple Watch bands + More
- Live From CE Week 2015: Brand New iPad, iPhone + Mac Accessories!