Accessing Internet Radio from iOS Remote app
Ask iLounge offers readers the opportunity to get answers to their iPod-, iPhone-, iPad-, iTunes-, or Apple TV-related questions from a member of the iLounge editorial team. We'll answer several questions here each week, and of course, you can always get help with more immediate concerns from the iLounge Discussion Forums. Submit your questions for consideration using our Ask iLounge Submit Form. We reserve the right to edit questions for grammar, spelling, and length.
Q: I just installed the iPod touch remote app and an Apple Airport Express and am now running iTunes through my stereo and am very happy. I Would be even happier if the iPod touch could see the inventory of Internet Radio that I see on the PC screen, but can’t seem to find the magic potion to get that to happen. Any thoughts would be much appreciated.
A: Although there is no way to directly access the iTunes Internet Radio section from the iOS Remote app you can create playlists in iTunes for any Internet Radio streams you normally listen to and access them through these playlists.
To do this, simply create a new standard playlist in iTunes and drag-and-drop any radio stations you regularly listen to from the Radio section in iTunes directly onto the playlist. The radio stations will be listed in the playlist in the same way as other tracks but with a small wave icon beside them designating them as Internet Radio streams.
You can then listen to these radio stations via this playlist in the same way as any other track, including accessing them from the iOS Remote app. Of course since Internet Radio stations provide a continuous stream of music iTunes will never advance automatically to the next station, but the playlist is still a useful way to organize your favorite stations.
You can even mix standard tracks and Internet Radio streams in a single playlist—placing an Internet Radio station at the bottom of a normal playlist is a useful way to keep iTunes playing after it’s finished running through your normal tracks.
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?
- How do I keep my iPhone calls from ringing on my Mac?
- Why doesn’t Traffic show up on my Today Notifications Screen?
- Why doesn’t my iPhone reconnect to Wi-Fi after I turn it on?
- Why can’t I see the iPad-style landscape view on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- Apple enables Single Sign-On across all iOS 10 and tvOS 10 devices
- Apple releases fifth beta for tvOS 10.1 to developers
- Apple to start publishing its AI research
- Supreme Court rules against Apple in design patent case
- Study finds half of kids headphones exceed safe volume limits
- More iPhone 6s devices affected by shutdown bug; iOS update coming
- Apple releases sixth beta of iOS 10.2 to developers
- Developers pushing back against abusers of Apple’s App Store refund policy
- Apple lobbies for shared data, more public road access to test autonomous driving systems
- Apple Store app update allows purchases from Apple Watch
- Sen.se GuardPeanut
- iHome iZBT10 Zenergy Bedside Sleep Therapy Speaker
- Twelve South HiRise Duet for Apple Watch and iPhone
- IK Multimedia iLoud Micro Monitor
- JBL Under Armour Sport Wireless Heart Rate Headphones
- Edifier e235 Luna E Speaker System
- Clamcase ClamCase+ for 9.7” iPad Pro
- Scosche BoomBottle H2O+ Waterproof Wireless Speaker
- Thermos Connected Hydration Bottle with Smart Lid
- Beats Solo3 Wireless On-Ear Headphones
- Top Five: The Best Products for Building a Smart Home with HomeKit
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of watchOS 3
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of tvOS 10
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 10
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Photos gets Advanced Computer Vision
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Music app delivers ‘clarity and simplicity’
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Maps gets a major redesign
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 shakes up the user experience
- Inside the betas: watchOS 3 promises a real speed boost
- Inside the betas: A sneak peek at what’s new in tvOS 10