Adding album art in iTunes | iLounge Article

Article

Adding album art in iTunes

For many, album art is an important part of a complete music experience.  Songs purchased from the iTunes Music Store come with album art automatically, but tracks acquired from other means (downloading, importing CDs) do not.  Thankfully, it’s easy to add album art to these tracks in iTunes.

Adding Album Art:

First, make sure that your Album Art area is visible in iTunes.  This is the small square area in the bottom left of your main iTunes window.  If it is not visible, press the fourth button from the left in the bottom left corner.

pic

pic

Next, select the song (or multiple songs, as we did for tagging) that you’d like to add album art to.  I’ll select the album “Obrigado Brazil” by Yo-Yo Ma.

There are several different methods we can now use to add the album art into iTunes.

1. If you have a scanned image as a file on your hard drive, simply drag it into the Album Art area from Windows Explorer (PC) or the Finder (Mac).
  2. If you do not have the image on your computer, search for it on the internet.  I use www.amazon.com for my Album Art.  On Amazon, search for the album you’d like, and click on “see larger picture” for a suitable image file. *Note that if you are acquiring your images from the web, you do NOT need to save the image to your hard disk.  Simply drag the image from your web browser into the iTunes Album Art area.

pic

pic

If you do not wish to add album art using the drag-and-drop method, you may do the following to add album art from a pop-up file browser window.

1. Right-click (command-click on the Mac) on a track (or tracks) and select “Get Info.”
  2. Open the “Artwork” tab.
  3. Click the “Add…” button.

Enjoy your Album Art!

Notes and Tips:

• You can view the album art at full resolution by clicking on it once in the Album Art area.
    You can choose to either view the album art for the “Selected Song” or the song that is “Now Playing.”  To toggle between them, click the bar above the Album Art area in the bottom left corner of iTunes.

• When using the iTunes Visualization features, Album Art is displayed along with the Song, Album, and Artist information.

• Multiple album art files can be stored on any one track.  To add another image file, simply drag it on top of the existing one.  In the bar above the album art will appear arrows which allow you to switch images.

• If Amazon does not have the Album Art you need, try www.walmart.com or www.allmusic.com

Jerrod H. is a Forum Administrator and Contributing Editor for iLounge.

• Related Stories

Comments

Thought you might find this interesting.  The whole website looks interesting to me.

Philippe

Posted by Jerrod H. in TX on April 8, 2004 at 7:01 AM (CDT)

Here is a site that gets the Artwork for you from a exported song list (txt)

What would be nice is away to determine in iTunes which songs/albums do not have Artwork associated with them

-S

Posted by Jerrod H. in TX on April 8, 2004 at 11:25 AM (CDT)

not to nit pick but why would anyone do the work when clutter will do it for you?

and its free?

Posted by Jerrod H. in TX on April 8, 2004 at 12:04 PM (CDT)

I agree Vincent, unless you happen to use Windows….

Posted by Jerrod H. in TX on April 8, 2004 at 12:41 PM (CDT)

Are you guys ever goign to stop ripping off iPodhead has already done?

Posted by Jerrod H. in TX on April 8, 2004 at 1:57 PM (CDT)

Um, the comment on iPodhead is bizzare. I have been there and there is so little activity that I can see. I very quickly moved back to the actively ongoing iPodlounge.

Posted by Jerrod H. in TX on April 8, 2004 at 2:41 PM (CDT)

One note, does this increase the file size of the mp3’s themselves? That might be a concern for someone who syncs their iTunes with an iPod.

Posted by Jerrod H. in TX on April 8, 2004 at 5:48 PM (CDT)

Posted by Jerrod H. in TX on April 8, 2004 at 5:49 PM (CDT)

My personal utility of choice is FetchArt:

From the website:
    “Starting with version 4.0, iTunes can display album art for the track which is currently selected or playing. Fetch Art is a program which automatically downloads album art for one or many songs from Amazon.com, allows you to preview the downloaded artwork, and copies the art you want to iTunes”.

Very handy and easily accessable from within iTunes; as, it place an command in iTunes’ script menu.

Posted by Jerrod H. in TX on April 8, 2004 at 6:58 PM (CDT)

Thanks for that - I didn’t realise I could drag and drop straight from the browser - saved me so much time :)

You could try www.cd-wow.com or www.play.com for album art too.

Posted by Jerrod H. in TX on April 9, 2004 at 2:09 AM (CDT)

Don’t like the fact there seems to be no windows programs to do this automatically but I do like art4iTunes service - thanks for that :)

Posted by Jerrod H. in TX on April 9, 2004 at 2:14 AM (CDT)

Re: parkov

it does increase the size, because the art is stored within the file. This is very handy if you move files from one computer to the other. The size of the song file doesn’t increase that much. I have most of my songs with artwork

By the way, I only use fetchArt, very nice program.
    (from macdownloads.com)

Posted by Jerrod H. in TX on April 9, 2004 at 6:26 AM (CDT)

I noticed that for some of my songs, I’m unable to drag artwork into the window - it just wont accept it.  But this works for other MP3 files.  Any ideas why? (in Windows XP)

Posted by Jerrod H. in TX on April 9, 2004 at 11:42 AM (CDT)

dav, I’ve had the same problem.  Workaround is to drag the artwork to desktop first, then drag it to album art area in itunes.  Don’t know why this works, but it does.

Posted by Jerrod H. in TX on April 9, 2004 at 1:39 PM (CDT)

thanks dasan7; that worked.  weird though.

This site is very nice (http://www.art4itunes.com/getart/uploadtracks.php
    ) but it would rock even more if it auto-inserted the graphics somehow.

Posted by Jerrod H. in TX on April 10, 2004 at 10:00 AM (CDT)

Hi adding art is also easy from LYCOS MUSIC
    Every artistis there. Easy to drag and drop…

Posted by Jerrod H. in TX on April 11, 2004 at 11:56 AM (CDT)

After deleting some artwork from my iPod files, I noticed that the size for each song with artwork is .1MB larger.

That could add up . . .

I keep artwork in iTunes, but then delete in on the iPod.

I’ve had great success with getting artwork from Buy.com - the images are larger and clearer than Amazon.

Posted by Jerrod H. in TX on April 11, 2004 at 10:03 PM (CDT)

My favourite spots for artwerk are allmusic.com and towerrecords.com. These are the places I also used for Readerware (http://www.readerware.com) downloads, which has nothing to do with iPods.

I have ben using Clutter, but I think I will give FetchArt a try. Thanks for the link.

cheers

Posted by Jerrod H. in TX on April 13, 2004 at 3:39 PM (CDT)

I’m rather surprised that you didn’t discuss other ways to add album art, scanning and importing takes a *long* time; especially when you have 35 gigs of music.

I use FetchArt on a song by song basis and MpFreaker to do my whole library.

Posted by Jerrod H. in TX on April 14, 2004 at 4:05 PM (CDT)

I was mega distracted and dragged art work for the wrong album.  How do I delete?  Thanks!

Posted by Jerrod H. in TX on April 15, 2004 at 1:12 AM (CDT)