Adding album art in iTunes
For many, album art is an important part of a complete music experience. Songs purchased from the iTunes Music Store come with album art automatically, but tracks acquired from other means (downloading, importing CDs) do not. Thankfully, it’s easy to add album art to these tracks in iTunes.
Adding Album Art:
First, make sure that your Album Art area is visible in iTunes. This is the small square area in the bottom left of your main iTunes window. If it is not visible, press the fourth button from the left in the bottom left corner.
Next, select the song (or multiple songs, as we did for tagging) that you’d like to add album art to. I’ll select the album “Obrigado Brazil” by Yo-Yo Ma.
There are several different methods we can now use to add the album art into iTunes.
- If you have a scanned image as a file on your hard drive, simply drag it into the Album Art area from Windows Explorer (PC) or the Finder (Mac).
- If you do not have the image on your computer, search for it on the internet. I use www.amazon.com for my Album Art. On Amazon, search for the album you’d like, and click on “see larger picture” for a suitable image file. *Note that if you are acquiring your images from the web, you do NOT need to save the image to your hard disk. Simply drag the image from your web browser into the iTunes Album Art area.
If you do not wish to add album art using the drag-and-drop method, you may do the following to add album art from a pop-up file browser window.
- Right-click (command-click on the Mac) on a track (or tracks) and select “Get Info.”
- Open the “Artwork” tab.
- Click the “Add…” button.
Enjoy your Album Art!
Notes and Tips:
You can view the album art at full resolution by clicking on it once in the Album Art area.
You can choose to either view the album art for the “Selected Song” or the song that is “Now Playing.” To toggle between them, click the bar above the Album Art area in the bottom left corner of iTunes.
When using the iTunes Visualization features, Album Art is displayed along with the Song, Album, and Artist information.
Multiple album art files can be stored on any one track. To add another image file, simply drag it on top of the existing one. In the bar above the album art will appear arrows which allow you to switch images.
Jerrod H. is a Forum Administrator and Contributing Editor for iLounge.
- Quickly And Wisely Reducing Your iCloud Footprint
- The Complete Guide to Transferring your Content to a new iPhone, iPad or iPod touch
- Dealing with iPad, iPhone, iPod & iTunes Problems
- The Complete Guide to FaceTime + iMessage: Setup, Use, and Troubleshooting
- Beginner’s Guide to Converting Videos for Apple TV + iOS
- The Complete Guide to Managing iTunes Videos
- Apple Watch unboxing gallery posted
- iLounge Weekly coming Monday, sign up now
- FoneFox posts Apple Watch waterproof testing video
- iFixit posts Apple Watch teardown
- Apple posts Apple Watch User Guide
- Apple planning to release new iPod touch later this year?
- Nokia shopping around its Maps division, courting Apple
- Apple Watch pre-orders arriving tomorrow, Apple posts more Guided Tours
- Security flaw opens iOS devices to attack using fake WiFi hotspots
- Security flaw leaves about 1,500 iOS apps vulnerable to attack
- Zagg Pocket Keyboard
- Adonit Jot Script 2
- Rokform Rokfolio Wallet Case for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- Parrot Bebop Drone
- Soen Audio Transit XS Wireless Speaker
- Divoom Voombox-party Portable Bluetooth Speaker
- Scosche MagicMount XL Dash/Window
- Theo Power Jump + Power Jump Wireless for iPhone 6
- VERT Wearable Fitness Monitor
- OORT SmartFinder, SmartLED + SmartSocket
- Why can’t I see the iPad-style landscape view on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- Is there a point to having both iCloud Photo Library and iCloud Photo Stream enabled?
- Why can’t I set a longer passcode timeout on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- Can I turn off Message Read Receipts for only some users?
- How do I share one iCloud Photo Library within a family?
- Can I turn off the app icons that appear in the bottom corner on the lock screen?
- Why do I have two separate conversations with the same person in Messages?
- Can I transfer the existing version of an app to my new iPhone?
- How do I quickly erase all of the contacts on my old iPhone?
- How do I disassociate my phone number from iMessage?