Adding album art in iTunes | iLounge Article

Article

Adding album art in iTunes

For many, album art is an important part of a complete music experience.  Songs purchased from the iTunes Music Store come with album art automatically, but tracks acquired from other means (downloading, importing CDs) do not.  Thankfully, it’s easy to add album art to these tracks in iTunes.

Adding Album Art:

First, make sure that your Album Art area is visible in iTunes.  This is the small square area in the bottom left of your main iTunes window.  If it is not visible, press the fourth button from the left in the bottom left corner.

pic

pic

Next, select the song (or multiple songs, as we did for tagging) that you’d like to add album art to.  I’ll select the album “Obrigado Brazil” by Yo-Yo Ma.

There are several different methods we can now use to add the album art into iTunes.

1. If you have a scanned image as a file on your hard drive, simply drag it into the Album Art area from Windows Explorer (PC) or the Finder (Mac).
  2. If you do not have the image on your computer, search for it on the internet.  I use www.amazon.com for my Album Art.  On Amazon, search for the album you’d like, and click on “see larger picture” for a suitable image file. *Note that if you are acquiring your images from the web, you do NOT need to save the image to your hard disk.  Simply drag the image from your web browser into the iTunes Album Art area.

pic

pic

If you do not wish to add album art using the drag-and-drop method, you may do the following to add album art from a pop-up file browser window.

1. Right-click (command-click on the Mac) on a track (or tracks) and select “Get Info.”
  2. Open the “Artwork” tab.
  3. Click the “Add…” button.

Enjoy your Album Art!

Notes and Tips:

• You can view the album art at full resolution by clicking on it once in the Album Art area.
    You can choose to either view the album art for the “Selected Song” or the song that is “Now Playing.”  To toggle between them, click the bar above the Album Art area in the bottom left corner of iTunes.

• When using the iTunes Visualization features, Album Art is displayed along with the Song, Album, and Artist information.

• Multiple album art files can be stored on any one track.  To add another image file, simply drag it on top of the existing one.  In the bar above the album art will appear arrows which allow you to switch images.

• If Amazon does not have the Album Art you need, try www.walmart.com or www.allmusic.com

Jerrod H. is a Forum Administrator and Contributing Editor for iLounge.

• « How Sony Cemented iPod’s Supremacy

Tagging Songs in iTunes »

Comments

Thought you might find this interesting.  The whole website looks interesting to me.

Philippe

Posted by Michael Cohen on April 8, 2004 at 4:01 AM (PDT)

Here is a site that gets the Artwork for you from a exported song list (txt)

What would be nice is away to determine in iTunes which songs/albums do not have Artwork associated with them

-S

Posted by Scott on April 8, 2004 at 8:25 AM (PDT)

not to nit pick but why would anyone do the work when clutter will do it for you?

and its free?

Posted by Vincent on April 8, 2004 at 9:04 AM (PDT)

I agree Vincent, unless you happen to use Windows….

Posted by Scott on April 8, 2004 at 9:41 AM (PDT)

Are you guys ever goign to stop ripping off iPodhead has already done?

Posted by jaisen on April 8, 2004 at 10:57 AM (PDT)

Um, the comment on iPodhead is bizzare. I have been there and there is so little activity that I can see. I very quickly moved back to the actively ongoing iPodlounge.

Posted by leertracy in Los Angeles on April 8, 2004 at 11:41 AM (PDT)

One note, does this increase the file size of the mp3’s themselves? That might be a concern for someone who syncs their iTunes with an iPod.

Posted by parkov on April 8, 2004 at 2:48 PM (PDT)

Posted by parkov on April 8, 2004 at 2:49 PM (PDT)

My personal utility of choice is FetchArt:

From the website:
    “Starting with version 4.0, iTunes can display album art for the track which is currently selected or playing. Fetch Art is a program which automatically downloads album art for one or many songs from Amazon.com, allows you to preview the downloaded artwork, and copies the art you want to iTunes”.

Very handy and easily accessable from within iTunes; as, it place an command in iTunes’ script menu.

Posted by lon on April 8, 2004 at 3:58 PM (PDT)

Thanks for that - I didn’t realise I could drag and drop straight from the browser - saved me so much time smile

You could try [url=http://www.cd-wow.com]http://www.cd-wow.com[/url] or [url=http://www.play.com]http://www.play.com[/url] for album art too.

Posted by Keith on April 8, 2004 at 11:09 PM (PDT)

Don’t like the fact there seems to be no windows programs to do this automatically but I do like art4iTunes service - thanks for that smile

Posted by Keith on April 8, 2004 at 11:14 PM (PDT)

Re: parkov

it does increase the size, because the art is stored within the file. This is very handy if you move files from one computer to the other. The size of the song file doesn’t increase that much. I have most of my songs with artwork

By the way, I only use fetchArt, very nice program.
    (from macdownloads.com)

Posted by SsnMx on April 9, 2004 at 3:26 AM (PDT)

I noticed that for some of my songs, I’m unable to drag artwork into the window - it just wont accept it.  But this works for other MP3 files.  Any ideas why? (in Windows XP)

Posted by dav on April 9, 2004 at 8:42 AM (PDT)

dav, I’ve had the same problem.  Workaround is to drag the artwork to desktop first, then drag it to album art area in itunes.  Don’t know why this works, but it does.

Posted by dasan7 on April 9, 2004 at 10:39 AM (PDT)

thanks dasan7; that worked.  weird though.

This site is very nice (http://www.art4itunes.com/getart/uploadtracks.php
    ) but it would rock even more if it auto-inserted the graphics somehow.

Posted by dav on April 10, 2004 at 7:00 AM (PDT)

Hi adding art is also easy from LYCOS MUSIC
    Every artistis there. Easy to drag and drop…

Posted by Chris Gallipoli on April 11, 2004 at 8:56 AM (PDT)

After deleting some artwork from my iPod files, I noticed that the size for each song with artwork is .1MB larger.

That could add up . . .

I keep artwork in iTunes, but then delete in on the iPod.

I’ve had great success with getting artwork from Buy.com - the images are larger and clearer than Amazon.

Posted by jhart71 on April 11, 2004 at 7:03 PM (PDT)

My favourite spots for artwerk are allmusic.com and towerrecords.com. These are the places I also used for Readerware (http://www.readerware.com) downloads, which has nothing to do with iPods.

I have ben using Clutter, but I think I will give FetchArt a try. Thanks for the link.

cheers

Posted by consumerq on April 13, 2004 at 12:39 PM (PDT)

I’m rather surprised that you didn’t discuss other ways to add album art, scanning and importing takes a *long* time; especially when you have 35 gigs of music.

I use FetchArt on a song by song basis and MpFreaker to do my whole library.

Posted by Andrew Wilkinson on April 14, 2004 at 1:05 PM (PDT)

I was mega distracted and dragged art work for the wrong album.  How do I delete?  Thanks!

Posted by kai_415 on April 14, 2004 at 10:12 PM (PDT)

hi,

@keith:

theres a windows program…

it does a very good batch-job and it found many of my album arts in 500x500 resolution and autosaved it in the folders. you still need to ad the art in itunes….

Posted by mister_L on April 15, 2004 at 12:55 AM (PDT)

i want to know if there is a way to import album art to all the albums songs
    not song by song

Posted by Nicolas on April 15, 2004 at 7:26 AM (PDT)

Nicolas—

Absolutely.  Just select multiple songs before you drag a photo into the album art area.

i.e. Hold shift, control, or CMD (on a Mac) to select multiple tracks.

I outline this process in the “Tagging” iPod 101 article… check that out.

Posted by Jerrod H. in TX on April 15, 2004 at 8:43 AM (PDT)

I wish there was a way to navigate through your music just by viewing the album art.  It would list all the album covers like thumbnails, and by clicking on the album it would start playing.  Although not the most useful feature they could add to iTunes, it sure would help, and would be a better reason to get all the correct album art!

Posted by Rob on April 15, 2004 at 1:44 PM (PDT)

I used MusicBrainz Tagger to find the missing tag info for my music. It identified the music based on a unique ‘audio fingerprint’ and matched that fingerprint to the ones in it’s own (user contrbuted) database. It could complete the tags for about 50% om my entire collection.

Because MusicBrainz had now added the correct album name to those files, Media Center (http://www.musicex.com/mediacenter/) could do a better job to automically find and add album art to my songs. I let it run through my entire collection last night and it added album art to about 15% of my music (and it didn’t crash!). Nice.

My problem is now: how do I update the tag information in iTunes without having to import everything all over? When I start playing a song in iTunes, the newly added album title (added by MusicBrainz) appears in the library, but do I have to play every single song before the iTunes’ XML database is entirely updated? When I search for music inside iTunes, it doens’t search in the newly added tag fields of songs that I haven’t played since then…

If I import all my songs again, I might loose my ratings (or it will at least change the ‘iadded on…’ information for all my songs to today, and i don’t want that). What’s the trick?

Posted by Roel on April 15, 2004 at 1:55 PM (PDT)

To find Fetch Art, go to [url=http://www.versiontracker.com]http://www.versiontracker.com[/url]

It’s an awesome website for mac-heads and the windows crowd too

Posted by Chris McConnell on April 16, 2004 at 7:28 AM (PDT)

I just had a quick question…what’s the point of putting the picture? Does the picture show up on your iPod? if so, how do you get it to go on the iPod?

Posted by Angela on April 17, 2004 at 10:50 AM (PDT)

the art won’t show on the ipod display but if you have if your playing your music in itunes or another player that supports album art then it will display in that player. the display on the ipod just can’t do the graphics and with only 2 colors why would really want to look at it on the ipod anyway.

Posted by moses in portland on April 18, 2004 at 1:53 PM (PDT)

Great article! I learned a lot from this article and was able to find artwork from the various helpful URLs which have been posted. Spent Sunday afternoon revising my iTunes Library. Thanks a lot for sharing this information!

Posted by Roger Williams in San Jose, CA on April 19, 2004 at 7:20 AM (PDT)

do the artwork things talk up space on ur ipod?

Posted by loz on April 19, 2004 at 11:22 PM (PDT)

Is there any reason why artwork seems to have been downloading automatically in iTunes? This seems to have happened for a lot of my CDs I converted to MP3 in iTunes.

What’s even weirder are certain folders in WindowsXP that have the artwork corresponding to the album, artwork that I never downloaded and some of these Mp3s I didn’t even rip.

Posted by Greg on April 23, 2004 at 3:56 PM (PDT)

Dav,

the reason you cant add art work to some files is because the file has to have an Album name.

give that mp3 file an album name and you will be able to add art work to it.

I dont know why its like that, its just how iTunes is set up.

Posted by Ariza on April 25, 2004 at 6:24 PM (PDT)

allmusic.com has a lot more album covers and info smile

Posted by Beathoven on April 27, 2004 at 10:22 AM (PDT)

Am I just being stupid here ???

I go to Amazon, find the album I want, enlarge the image etc.

I then find the album in iTunes, but as soon as I attempt to drag it, iTunes minimises back to the taskbar.

Even doing a copy and paste doesn’t fix it.

What am I doing wrong ???

:-D

Posted by JimothyB on April 28, 2004 at 1:27 AM (PDT)

JimothyB: What browser and OS are you using? I found out that dragging artwork from Firefox 0.8 (Windows) into iTunes doens’t work. If you use Firefox, then try using another browser (like Safari or Internet Explorer).

Posted by Roel on April 28, 2004 at 3:06 AM (PDT)

I find that Discogs (at [url=http://www.discogs.com]http://www.discogs.com)[/url] is a great place to find album art for new and old electronic music that one doesn’t find via walmart or yahoo.

Posted by Wagshaft on April 29, 2004 at 12:57 PM (PDT)

I’m using IE6 , really strange.

Anyone else had this ?

Posted by jimothyb on April 30, 2004 at 6:58 AM (PDT)

“I keep artwork in iTunes, but then delete in on the iPod.”

Jhart71, can you explain that comment? I don’t understand. I thought that once imported your file size would be larger. How can you strip that out or as you say, delete is on the ipod? I didn’t think that was possible so I am confused.

Posted by Coasterbuf on April 30, 2004 at 1:37 PM (PDT)

Does iTunes 4.5 download the album art automatically when you import a CD? Or did I misunderstand that?

Posted by dying2live on May 2, 2004 at 2:14 AM (PDT)

I’ve been working on an app for Windows users to automate this whole process. It works WITH iTunes 4.5 so that there is no more need for manual dragging dropping etc. Check it out:

Posted by Prashant on May 8, 2004 at 6:42 PM (PDT)

And for the Mac users…
    [cough]
    Export Artwork <www.dizzypenguin.com/automac-it/> does this automatically, along with many other features. Don’t let the name fool you!
    [/cough].

Posted by DizzyPenguin on May 11, 2004 at 1:46 AM (PDT)

This is the advantage of having the artwork for you music.  If you have been diligently collecting you artwork along the way when expanding your iTunes library, you now have all that artwork to do your CD insert printing.  I’m glad I took the time to do this.  I’ve used a combination of Clutter, FetchArt, and going directly to Amazon to find them.  Not all is available, but most is.  Now I can print up some incredible mosaic covers for my complilation albums in my playlists.  I’m glad they finally added this feature.  It’s a good thing I’ve been doing this all along, since my library is now up over 7,200+ songs.

Posted by Rhomboid on May 11, 2004 at 3:10 AM (PDT)

I could not find some of my album cover art at amazon.com. I tried amazon.de and amazon.co.uk and they had most of the missing ones. I guess amazon.co.jp is also a good source if you have some jap imports.

Posted by pbox on May 11, 2004 at 12:46 PM (PDT)

Oh, another thing. I use firefox (mozilla) and for firefox you can get the seach engines installed for the search bar. The amazon searches use some other domain, which gives a nice clean interface, instead of amazon’s clutter…

Posted by pbox on May 11, 2004 at 12:48 PM (PDT)

8=======D~~ D:

Posted by rtta on May 12, 2004 at 9:41 AM (PDT)

Rob: “I wish there was a way to navigate through your music just by viewing the album art. It would list all the album covers like thumbnails, and by clicking on the album it would start playing. Although not the most useful feature they could add to iTunes, it sure would help, and would be a better reason to get all the correct album art!”

Just get Clutter: http://www.sprote.com/clutter/

It does EXACTLY that—AND it gets the art for you. You can option-drag from Clutter’s main window to iTunes to put the art into the songs, or to empty screen to leave a thumbnail for browsing. I have all my CDs thumbnailed—and each is its own borderless window—fun with Panther’s Expos!

You can even right-click an album to pick just a certain track, and choose different sizes for different thumbnails.

(But for the initial step of automating getting the art, is Fetch Art faster?)

Posted by Nagromme on May 13, 2004 at 9:08 AM (PDT)

FYI for manually searching on Amazon… click to the bigger view and you’ll lose the ugly sale stickers!

Posted by Nagromme on May 13, 2004 at 9:11 AM (PDT)

Windows/Linux app that searches amazon for album art automatically.

Posted by megafreny on May 16, 2004 at 10:23 AM (PDT)

Wow!!!!

I have been doing the ol’ dran n drop from Amazon and buy.com for months now! Only today did I see that there is actual software that will go through your library and fill in the blanks for you. I will try it now.

OK…I downloaded it and clicked the little ‘swooshy” thing on the tool bar, and it automatically started working on my WHOLE library. I see it scanning for albums I’ve already found and dragged over though…

Are you supposed to just select it PER song?

Whew..it’s been about 1/2 hour and it’s only a smidge through the task bar. I have a big library. I can’t seem to make it stop. More info when it’s done…....

Posted by blairbarnette on May 20, 2004 at 10:49 PM (PDT)

ok…

I gave up on that and just restarted my computer to get out of it. I’m just scrolling down through my “artists” and seeing what doesn’t pop up with art previously downloaded. I’ll fetch art for each artless album. So far, “NO ART” has been popping up for many albums that I know are not obscure, and the wrong artwork (different album for same artist) has arrived for many…..

hmmmmm…...

Posted by blairbarnette on May 20, 2004 at 11:17 PM (PDT)

For an automatic album art finder for windows check out “iArt”

Posted by Mike on May 22, 2004 at 10:05 AM (PDT)

jimothyb, what you have to do is drag it to the task bar iTunes, but don’t let go wait a few seconds and iTunes will come back into focus and you can drop it on.  You’ll have better luck if you just resize your IE window to be smaller than iTunes so you can still see iTunes in the background and just drag to it.

Posted by ChrisN on May 24, 2004 at 4:30 AM (PDT)

What a waste of time…
    Why doesnt iTunes pick up the artwork in the first place?

I never have this problem with Windows Media Player, oh andI can play the WMA files on my iAudio M3 !!!!

iPod sucks… iAudio Rools!

Posted by Ruffas on May 27, 2004 at 2:08 AM (PDT)

I just noticied this yesterday after purchasing a song off iTunes, I didn’t like the album art that came with the song, so I snagged an artist picture off the internet and drag/drop onto the old picture.  Instead of replacing it, it just added it and arrows came to cycle through the various pictures (now 2) for the song. Didn’t know if you guys knew or not, thought I’d share it.

Posted by ben on May 28, 2004 at 6:07 AM (PDT)

Does anyone know of a way to export the album art mosaics to a wallpaper.  That would be a cool feature.

Posted by rhynox35 on June 3, 2004 at 12:16 AM (PDT)

Don’t forget about http://images.google.com either.  Just type in the name of the album, and you’ll get quite a few hits.

Posted by SigmaChi1489 in Wyoming, USA on June 3, 2004 at 8:02 AM (PDT)

I’m having a problem with this. I can drag and drop, but when I click onto another album then click back to the one I just dragged and dropped, the image has gone.

Posted by keiron on June 4, 2004 at 8:58 AM (PDT)

Make sure you have it set for “Selected Song” instead of “Now Playing.”  You can switch between the two by clicking the text right above the picture window.

Posted by SigmaChi1489 in Wyoming, USA on June 4, 2004 at 10:34 PM (PDT)

wouldn’t it be great if we could just drag the art cover we like from itunes onto our library?  apple, i hope you’re listening.

Posted by chris on June 14, 2004 at 11:46 PM (PDT)

I’m looking for an album art brower like clutter for PC; any suggestions?

Just get Clutter: http://www.sprote.com/clutter/

Posted by brandon on June 26, 2004 at 2:57 PM (PDT)

Hi all! I would just like to mention that if you can’t find the cover art you’re looking for at Amazon.com then head over to Amazon.co.uk.

Posted by F on July 4, 2004 at 9:26 PM (PDT)

If you use Windows you could try:
    To get your album art.  It uses Amazon.com and it does skip songs in iTunes that already have album art.  Sounds cool, but I do not use Windows.

Posted by DJPete on September 15, 2004 at 6:24 AM (PDT)

There is a windows program that will do this:

Uses the Amazon service, and skips over tracks in iTunes that already have album art.

Check it out!  I don’t use Windows so I haven’t tested it.

Posted by DJPete on September 15, 2004 at 6:26 AM (PDT)

I noticed it on Mac : If you drag the pictures from Safari directly to iTunes, the pictures will be copied uncompressed, this will increase the size of the mp3 file a lot. The workaround is to drag the artwork to desktop first, then drag it to album art area in itunes. This will copy the file compressed into the mp3 file. And the size increase will be more than acceptable.

Posted by georgesrobert on September 19, 2004 at 11:07 PM (PDT)

No sooner did you guys post this article than Amazon began replacing the album art found in its music store with cropped, black & white, or poor-quality versions of the album covers, apparently to discourage people from grabbing the art from its site.

Posted by johnt on October 6, 2004 at 6:05 PM (PDT)

beware!!! artwork kills the ipod memory.
    with just over 4000 tracks on the ipod, i added artwork to all the songs in itunes, put the ipod on the dock… it updated…. now there is only enough space for 580 tracks on the ipod! artwork increases the file size that much that instead of 20gb i now have the memory of a 4gb ipod.
    when i delete the artwork in itunes the files stay the same ‘bloated’ size.

Posted by M.N.M on October 8, 2004 at 2:59 AM (PDT)

“when i delete the artwork in itunes the files stay the same ‘bloated’ size.”

That’s because the way iTunes associates artwork with tunes is brain-damaged. Clever jukebox software like Media Center dumps the artwork into a directory as distinct image files, then writes associated XML metadata references (a bit like a playlist) that links the image files with specific tunes or batches of tunes.

iTunes just embeds all the image data into some over-size ID3 file tags within each tune. So the data size of each file grows ridiculously.

The drawbacks are clear. Especially on a device like an iPod (currently devoid of any useful way to display album art on its screen, or in fact any color screen at all), the extra padding on each music file is just waste that fills up your hard drive to no end.

With the more sensible system, associating image files with music using XML links, when you choose to synchronise to a portable device you can specify in the sync profile whether or not to copy over the image files. Indeed, you can do even clever tricks like automatically downsample each image file to a thumbnail or similar.

Yet another example of how iTunes could do with some more attention to supplying user configurable options.

Posted by bloatware on October 8, 2004 at 4:03 AM (PDT)

Guys. Would appreciate your help as a newbie Ipod owner. I’m running Itunes in windows.  Windows media player has already downloaded album art for some songs, but when ITunes added those songs to my library, the album art has not been imported.  I don’t have a clue how to get the album art back in again.  Can anyone help?

Posted by gg on October 11, 2004 at 3:29 AM (PDT)

I find myself iTunes artwork from amazon, walmart & buy.com

Best High Quality images i have found from [url=http://www.buy.com]http://www.buy.com[/url] (500 x 500 pixels). Sometimes other musicstore has better quality (walmart & amazon) pictures & buy.com has not so big music range/selection.

[url=http://www.walmart.com]http://www.walmart.com[/url] has same resolution (500x500 pixel) pictures but sometimes quality is not so good than in [url=http://www.buy.com]http://www.buy.com[/url] . In [url=http://www.amazon.com]http://www.amazon.com[/url] has also somtimes 500x500 pixel pictures but not so usually than walmart & buy.com

Make quick compare from these sample:

Christina Aguilera - Buy.com
    Christina Aguilera - Amazon.com

Bad Boy ll - Buy.com
    Bad Boy ll - Walmart.com

I have tested those automatic itunes import software and they always found pictures from amazon. Even Export Artwork software dont find pictures from buy.com even that have options to find pictures from buy.com .

PS. Original iTunes MusicStore ( iTMS ) real iTunes Artwork size/resolution is 600x600 pixel.

Posted by meme on January 11, 2005 at 2:17 AM (PDT)

Has anyone had any problems with the album art displayed on the ipod being different to what is stored in itunes.  eg. Sometimes I have Alice in Chains come on and it displays the album art from one of my Beatles albums…  I check on itunes and everything is how it should be - it’s driving me nuts!
    Cheers.

Posted by Leighroy in USA on February 22, 2005 at 11:20 AM (PDT)

I got the album art bug a few months ago. I have 10,000+ songs, but the VAST majority of them iArt did perfectly. Now, I still had well over a thousand songs I had to do manually, and some albums that either had TERRIBLE quality art or for which iArt picked the wrong stuff, but it did an amazing job.

I then used the product to add the album art to the windows folders, which is coOl. I ended up deleting the album art because I went on a buying spree and didn’t want to delete any music, so I deleted the art. Unlike what one user reports, for me, when I deleted the art, the file sizes went down again. And the art is still in the folders in Windows should I decide add album art again when I get my next iPod and suddenly have loads of room.

Posted by leertracy in Los Angeles on March 2, 2005 at 2:05 PM (PDT)

As “georgesrobert” pointed out, the drag-and-drop from a browser to iTunes is a huge watse of space.
    Unfortunately i used this method on a big part of my collection. Is there an easy way to identify all bmp-covers?

Posted by deckard4x4 on July 1, 2005 at 2:46 PM (PDT)

i have a question..
    i put album artwork to a song in iTUNES and then update my iPOD photo. then, when i play the song, i dont see the album art. is there something wrong with my iPOD or with my iTUNES?

Posted by ur KooLYa on September 30, 2005 at 8:32 PM (PDT)

Before switching to iTunes, I used musicmatch to tag all my older mp3s with album art.  iTunes doesn’t see any of that art.  Likewise, when I add album art to new songs in iTunes, it doesn’t show up in musicmatch.

Is there a way to transfer album art from one platform to another?  Or do I have to tag it twice for it to show up on both platforms?  And if I do that, will it increase the size of the file, or cause performance problems?

Posted by raub on November 29, 2005 at 11:13 AM (PDT)

I’m having problems getting the Album Art from iTunes to my 5G iPod.  I have iTunes set to “Manually Manage Songs and Playlists”.  No problem getting the Album Art into iTunes, but no luck getting it to go to the iPod.  Any ideas?

Thanks for the help!

Posted by Kank on December 16, 2005 at 10:39 AM (PDT)

Hello, does anyone here know how to delete album art from a song w/ out deleting a song? or if u have 2 album covers and u only want one? Im using wiindows.

Posted by xela on January 2, 2006 at 10:09 AM (PDT)

Click on the song you want to delete album art from, right click and select Get Info. Then go to the Artwork tab and click the Delete button. Can also be found in iTunes under File and then Get Info.

I had to replace album art because I originally put low-quality album art on my iPod 5G, but suprisingly there’s a noticeable difference with higher quality album art on the iPod’s screen.

Posted by brc01 on January 8, 2006 at 7:39 PM (PDT)

Hi everyone!
    I had a lot of trouble adding all the artwork to itunes. It updated on my 30g Ipod and all was fine… Then I started noticing that even though the artwork was correct in itunes, it was all messed up in my ipod… The covers were all there, but most were assigned to the wrong album… And they’re still right on itunes. I dont want to pass all the songs to the ipod again… Can anyone help me? Or at least explain why this happened…
    Txs!
    Maria

Posted by tigerlily on April 27, 2006 at 4:12 AM (PDT)

You can also try TuneSleeve (free, but donations appreciated):

It allows you to choose which image is the best among all the images returned by Amazon, and if there is no good match you can launch a search on Google Images with the click of a button then drag&drop; the desired image from Google to the album in TuneSleeve.

Posted by Beruk on July 14, 2006 at 9:45 PM (PDT)

Hello,

I just bought a G5 iPod, and am in the process of adding artwork to iTunes.  I’ve been using the Amazon.com method and dragging/dropping, seems to be working fine.  One problem, the artwork is not filling the entire space on certain albums.  Any ideas/suggestions?  Thanks, dram.

Posted by dram on August 3, 2006 at 10:24 AM (PDT)

Hi Guys

Where does the artwork seat?
    in the itunes library or itunes.xml?
    or with the music file on your hard drive?

I really don’t want to clean up my library and realise that for some reason the artwork does not follow the music file

Posted by NorahJones on February 26, 2007 at 5:45 AM (PDT)

Artwork on Amazon is sometimes very tiny. I also use Wikipedia.org and Discogs.com. Just click on the album cover for the larger size, then click and drag.

Posted by shiner5555 on March 11, 2007 at 2:50 PM (PDT)

thankz, i was looking for this

Posted by ertailara on May 1, 2008 at 3:09 PM (PDT)

It says album artwork not modifiable and wont let me drag and drop
    is there anything i can do?

Posted by Dom on May 1, 2008 at 5:47 PM (PDT)

I am using iTunes, and have imported my music collection as WAV files to retain the music quality as this isn’t for a iPod, just my main decktop.

Some artworks have downloaded from iTunes and work, however for the one which don’t appear, I have the Folder.jpg for each album but iTunes won’t let me add them to Library?

I know you can’t have id3 tags in WAV files, but itunes must be storing its images in the Library itself? so how can I add my own images to store in the same place?

Posted by Paul on July 7, 2008 at 3:09 PM (PDT)

will that artwork appear on the ipod aswell as itunes once you sync them??

Posted by joan jonas on July 20, 2008 at 8:04 AM (PDT)

my itunes doesnt allow me to add artwork, when i click on get info the artwork section isnt highlighted

Posted by PLO on September 11, 2008 at 1:55 PM (PDT)

I am having problems with wav. files too. Some of the files have have art from when I put them on my computer. Others don’t and itunes wont let me add any. Got any help?

Posted by Nicholas Janssen on September 22, 2008 at 1:50 AM (PDT)

I have found that if I put have an MP3 file with art and convert it to Wav. that that works but am i getting a true wav. sound? or a bad mp3 converted to wav. sound?

Posted by Nicholas Janssen on September 22, 2008 at 2:17 AM (PDT)

hiya all!!

i have added artwork to all of my songs, but since i have updated to an ipod touch they all seem to be messed up. there are 2 full albums that have the wrong artwork. i have deleted the artwork and added it again, and the problem is still there. i have automatically added artwork, and its still doing it. but when i go to select the album from the list of albums, the image is correct next to the album in the list. but then wen i select a song to play, the wrong image comes up again :s grrrr. any ideas wot i can do?

Posted by nicola2008 on October 27, 2008 at 7:16 AM (PDT)

I need to reformat my computer and I’m wondering how to transfer my music to an external hardrive and keep the album artwork I worked so hard at getting?

Posted by M.H. on December 4, 2008 at 1:00 PM (PDT)

i have added the art and it will not show up on my ipod why any help out there

Posted by fancis withers on March 12, 2009 at 8:28 PM (PDT)

Why is the artwork tab grayed out on some of my tunes’ Get Info area?

Posted by Alex on April 20, 2009 at 11:35 AM (PDT)

Would someone please share the name of a good Mac application that will find artwork for older obscure music that is not in the iTunes inventory or application that comes with iTunes?  Thank you so much,j.

Posted by Jay Cole on May 13, 2009 at 3:12 PM (PDT)

I use ITUNES ALL THE TIME FOR BUYING cds.I recently bought a CD and was looking for the insert w/song titles to put in my case. How do I get the insert for the cd I purchased.

Posted by Ronnie Liebergot on June 12, 2009 at 8:36 AM (PDT)

thank you so much this article solved a mystery i have had for a long time

Posted by robert on June 18, 2009 at 3:03 PM (PDT)

I was having the same problem and discovered that the only difference between the files that “accepted” the artwork and the ones that didn’t was the ID3 tag version. So I solved my problem by simply:
    1 - Select all tracks
    2 - Download all album artwork with i-tunes
    3 - Right click one of all the previously selected tracks and “Convert ID3 tags” to version 2.2

That’s it…

Hope it was helpful

Cheers from Portugal

Posted by Miguel Rações on December 29, 2009 at 12:13 AM (PDT)

Many thanks for this article, it solved my problem and educated me at the same time.

Posted by Paul Heathcote on July 9, 2010 at 6:49 AM (PDT)

This was VERY helpful! Thank you very much! :D

Posted by Brad on May 30, 2011 at 7:28 PM (PDT)

THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!! IT WORKED!!!!

Posted by Kela T. on July 3, 2011 at 12:31 PM (PDT)

Page 1 of 2 pages  1 2 >