Adding album art in iTunes
For many, album art is an important part of a complete music experience. Songs purchased from the iTunes Music Store come with album art automatically, but tracks acquired from other means (downloading, importing CDs) do not. Thankfully, it’s easy to add album art to these tracks in iTunes.
Adding Album Art:
First, make sure that your Album Art area is visible in iTunes. This is the small square area in the bottom left of your main iTunes window. If it is not visible, press the fourth button from the left in the bottom left corner.
Next, select the song (or multiple songs, as we did for tagging) that you’d like to add album art to. I’ll select the album “Obrigado Brazil” by Yo-Yo Ma.
There are several different methods we can now use to add the album art into iTunes.
- If you have a scanned image as a file on your hard drive, simply drag it into the Album Art area from Windows Explorer (PC) or the Finder (Mac).
- If you do not have the image on your computer, search for it on the internet. I use www.amazon.com for my Album Art. On Amazon, search for the album you’d like, and click on “see larger picture” for a suitable image file. *Note that if you are acquiring your images from the web, you do NOT need to save the image to your hard disk. Simply drag the image from your web browser into the iTunes Album Art area.
If you do not wish to add album art using the drag-and-drop method, you may do the following to add album art from a pop-up file browser window.
- Right-click (command-click on the Mac) on a track (or tracks) and select “Get Info.”
- Open the “Artwork” tab.
- Click the “Add…” button.
Enjoy your Album Art!
Notes and Tips:
You can view the album art at full resolution by clicking on it once in the Album Art area.
You can choose to either view the album art for the “Selected Song” or the song that is “Now Playing.” To toggle between them, click the bar above the Album Art area in the bottom left corner of iTunes.
When using the iTunes Visualization features, Album Art is displayed along with the Song, Album, and Artist information.
Multiple album art files can be stored on any one track. To add another image file, simply drag it on top of the existing one. In the bar above the album art will appear arrows which allow you to switch images.
Jerrod H. is a Forum Administrator and Contributing Editor for iLounge.
- Quickly And Wisely Reducing Your iCloud Footprint
- The Complete Guide to Transferring your Content to a new iPhone, iPad or iPod touch
- Dealing with iPad, iPhone, iPod & iTunes Problems
- The Complete Guide to FaceTime + iMessage: Setup, Use, and Troubleshooting
- Beginner’s Guide to Converting Videos for Apple TV + iOS
- The Complete Guide to Managing iTunes Videos
If you have a comment, news tip, advertising inquiry, or coverage request, a question about iPods/iPhones/iPad or accessories, or if you sell or market iPod/iPhone/iPad products or services, read iLounge's Comments + Questions policies before posting, and fully identify yourself if you do. We will delete comments containing advertising, astroturfing, trolling, personal attacks, offensive language, or other objectionable content, then ban and/or publicly identify violators.
- Apple Pay can be used internationally with U.S.-based cards
- Notes from Apple’s Q4 2014 earnings call
- Apple Q4 2014: 39.3M iPhones, 12.3M iPads, 2.6M iPods, $42.1B revenue
- Apple releases Apple TV Software Update 7.0.1
- Apple releases iOS 8.1
- Apple launches iCloud Photos Beta Web Client
- Apple working to cut music subscription prices
- iLounge Weekly arrives Monday, subscribe now
- Apple Store returns, begins taking iPad pre-orders
- Apple updates Pages, Numbers, Keynote for iCloud Drive
- Speck MightyShell for iPhone 6
- Misfit Flash Fitness + Sleep Monitor
- Just Mobile Xtand Go Z1
- PowerSkin Pop’n 2 for iPhone 6/6 Plus
- APC M5BK + M10BK 5000/10000mAh Mobile Power Packs
- ClamCase ClamCase Pro for iPad mini
- IK Multimedia iRig Pads MIDI Groove Controller
- Hex Icon Wallet and Solo Wallet for iPhone 6
- SwitchEasy 0.35, LifePocket + Numbers for iPhone 6
- GE Link Connected LED Bulb + Wink Hub
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 8.1
- An Easy Guide To Setting Up + Using Apple Pay In iOS 8.1
- Ten Things You Didn’t Know About iPad Air 2 + iPad mini 3
- Mind The Gap: What’s iPad’s Role In An iPhone 6 (Plus) World?
- Editorial: Why I Switched To T-Mobile (And You Might, Too)
- The Early Guide To Apple Watch Apps
- iLounge’s Top iPhone 6 + iPhone 6 Plus Case Picks (Fall 2014)
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 8.0
- Multi-Editorial: On Apple’s iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus + Apple Watch
- What’s New In Apple TV 7.0