Adding album art in iTunes
For many, album art is an important part of a complete music experience. Songs purchased from the iTunes Music Store come with album art automatically, but tracks acquired from other means (downloading, importing CDs) do not. Thankfully, it’s easy to add album art to these tracks in iTunes.
Adding Album Art:
First, make sure that your Album Art area is visible in iTunes. This is the small square area in the bottom left of your main iTunes window. If it is not visible, press the fourth button from the left in the bottom left corner.
Next, select the song (or multiple songs, as we did for tagging) that you’d like to add album art to. I’ll select the album “Obrigado Brazil” by Yo-Yo Ma.
There are several different methods we can now use to add the album art into iTunes.
- If you have a scanned image as a file on your hard drive, simply drag it into the Album Art area from Windows Explorer (PC) or the Finder (Mac).
- If you do not have the image on your computer, search for it on the internet. I use www.amazon.com for my Album Art. On Amazon, search for the album you’d like, and click on “see larger picture” for a suitable image file. *Note that if you are acquiring your images from the web, you do NOT need to save the image to your hard disk. Simply drag the image from your web browser into the iTunes Album Art area.
If you do not wish to add album art using the drag-and-drop method, you may do the following to add album art from a pop-up file browser window.
- Right-click (command-click on the Mac) on a track (or tracks) and select “Get Info.”
- Open the “Artwork” tab.
- Click the “Add…” button.
Enjoy your Album Art!
Notes and Tips:
You can view the album art at full resolution by clicking on it once in the Album Art area.
You can choose to either view the album art for the “Selected Song” or the song that is “Now Playing.” To toggle between them, click the bar above the Album Art area in the bottom left corner of iTunes.
When using the iTunes Visualization features, Album Art is displayed along with the Song, Album, and Artist information.
Multiple album art files can be stored on any one track. To add another image file, simply drag it on top of the existing one. In the bar above the album art will appear arrows which allow you to switch images.
Jerrod H. is a Forum Administrator and Contributing Editor for iLounge.
- Quickly And Wisely Reducing Your iCloud Footprint
- The Complete Guide to Transferring your Content to a new iPhone, iPad or iPod touch
- Dealing with iPad, iPhone, iPod & iTunes Problems
- The Complete Guide to FaceTime + iMessage: Setup, Use, and Troubleshooting
- Beginner’s Guide to Converting Videos for Apple TV + iOS
- The Complete Guide to Managing iTunes Videos
- AT&T wants $100M data throttling fine thrown out
- Apple Music added to T-Mobile’s Music Freedom
- Report: Apple Music hits 10M subscribers
- Apple Maps vans landing in France, Sweden in August
- Report: Slimmer iPad mini 4 on the way, upgraded iPad Air 3 a possibility
- Beijing police bust massive iPhone counterfeiting operation
- Report: Apple interested in BMW i3 as ‘starting point’ for its own car
- Nike to offer customers cash in proposed FuelBand settlement
- Apple Watch coming to Best Buy on August 7
- iLounge Weekly coming Monday, subscribe now
- Zivix Jamstik+ MIDI Guitar Controller
- Ulak Lumenair for iPhone 6
- Apple iPod touch (Sixth-Generation)
- Ventev Powercell 3015c and Powercell 6000+
- Bowers & Wilkins P5 Wireless Headphones
- IK Multimedia iRig Mic Studio
- iClever Apple Watch Charging Stand
- TempTraq Wearable Bluetooth Thermometer
- JBL Clip+ Bluetooth Speaker
- Monk Magnet Wallet Case for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iTunes 12.2
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 8.4 + Apple Music
- CE Week 2015: IK Multimedia, Monowear’s Apple Watch bands + More
- Live From CE Week 2015: Brand New iPad, iPhone + Mac Accessories!
- A First Look at iOS 9’s Transit in Apple Maps
- Opinion: The ‘Grand Experiment’ of shifting to Google Photos
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?
- How do I keep my iPhone calls from ringing on my Mac?
- Why doesn’t Traffic show up on my Today Notifications Screen?