Adding album art in iTunes
For many, album art is an important part of a complete music experience. Songs purchased from the iTunes Music Store come with album art automatically, but tracks acquired from other means (downloading, importing CDs) do not. Thankfully, it’s easy to add album art to these tracks in iTunes.
Adding Album Art:
First, make sure that your Album Art area is visible in iTunes. This is the small square area in the bottom left of your main iTunes window. If it is not visible, press the fourth button from the left in the bottom left corner.
Next, select the song (or multiple songs, as we did for tagging) that you’d like to add album art to. I’ll select the album “Obrigado Brazil” by Yo-Yo Ma.
There are several different methods we can now use to add the album art into iTunes.
- If you have a scanned image as a file on your hard drive, simply drag it into the Album Art area from Windows Explorer (PC) or the Finder (Mac).
- If you do not have the image on your computer, search for it on the internet. I use www.amazon.com for my Album Art. On Amazon, search for the album you’d like, and click on “see larger picture” for a suitable image file. *Note that if you are acquiring your images from the web, you do NOT need to save the image to your hard disk. Simply drag the image from your web browser into the iTunes Album Art area.
If you do not wish to add album art using the drag-and-drop method, you may do the following to add album art from a pop-up file browser window.
- Right-click (command-click on the Mac) on a track (or tracks) and select “Get Info.”
- Open the “Artwork” tab.
- Click the “Add…” button.
Enjoy your Album Art!
Notes and Tips:
You can view the album art at full resolution by clicking on it once in the Album Art area.
You can choose to either view the album art for the “Selected Song” or the song that is “Now Playing.” To toggle between them, click the bar above the Album Art area in the bottom left corner of iTunes.
When using the iTunes Visualization features, Album Art is displayed along with the Song, Album, and Artist information.
Multiple album art files can be stored on any one track. To add another image file, simply drag it on top of the existing one. In the bar above the album art will appear arrows which allow you to switch images.
Jerrod H. is a Forum Administrator and Contributing Editor for iLounge.
- Quickly And Wisely Reducing Your iCloud Footprint
- The Complete Guide to Transferring your Content to a new iPhone, iPad or iPod touch
- Dealing with iPad, iPhone, iPod & iTunes Problems
- The Complete Guide to FaceTime + iMessage: Setup, Use, and Troubleshooting
- Beginner’s Guide to Converting Videos for Apple TV + iOS
- The Complete Guide to Managing iTunes Videos
- Apple now selling SIM-free iPhone 6s and iPhone 6s Plus
- AT&T opens up Wi-Fi calling for iPhone
- Battery impact of Samsung vs TSMC A9 chips overestimated? (Update: Apple response)
- Apple TV, iPad Pro to be sold online in late October, in stores early November?
- iBooks adds exclusive enhanced editions of Harry Potter series
- Report: Barclays to launch Apple Pay support in the UK early next year
- Apple reveals Beats Pill+ speaker
- Antitrust monitor: Apple is ‘its own worst enemy’
- Report: Apple holding $181.1 billion in offshore tax havens
- Apple releases fourth iOS 9.1 beta, third tvOS beta to developers
- Creative Sound Blaster Roar 2 Bluetooth Speaker
- Parrot Airborne Night and Airborne Cargo Drones
- Griffin Survivor Journey and Survivor Summit for iPhone 6/6s
- Parrot Jumping Night and Jumping Race Drones
- Trident Case Aegis Pro Case for iPhone 6/6s
- Scosche boomBOTTLE+ Waterproof Wireless Speaker
- Just Mobile Quattro Folio for iPhone 6s
- X-Doria Defense Lux for iPhone 6s/6
- Spigen Perfect Armor for iPhone 6s, Slim/Tough Armor for iPhone 6s Plus
- Spigen Neo Hybrid / Carbon / EX + Ultra Hybrid for iPhone 6s/6s Plus
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 9.0
- Under the Radar: A closer look at smaller iPhone 6s and iPhone 6s Plus changes
- A First Look at iOS 9’s Transit in Apple Maps (Updated for watchOS 2)
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iTunes 12.2
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 8.4 + Apple Music
- CE Week 2015: IK Multimedia, Monowear’s Apple Watch bands + More
- Live From CE Week 2015: Brand New iPad, iPhone + Mac Accessories!
- Opinion: The ‘Grand Experiment’ of shifting to Google Photos
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?