Adding chapter markers to audiobooks
Ask iLounge offers readers the opportunity to get answers to their iPod-, iPhone-, iPad-, iTunes-, or Apple TV-related questions from a member of the iLounge editorial team. We'll answer several questions here each week, and of course, you can always get help with more immediate concerns from the iLounge Discussion Forums. Submit your questions for consideration using our Ask iLounge Submit Form. We reserve the right to edit questions for grammar, spelling, and length.
Q: I have audiobooks that I ripped from CDs that are currently in MP3 format broken up by chapters. I figured out how to get iTunes to recognize them as audiobooks but I’m still not completely satisfied. I would like to take all of my split MP3 files, join them into one audiobook track, but have chapters within the MP3 file so that I can skip around. I see that podcasts do that often. Is there a way that I can do this too, preferably through iTunes?
A: Although there is no way to do this through iTunes itself, third-party utilities are available to merge your MP3 files into a single audiobook file and add the necessary chapter markers.
If your a Windows user, you’ll want to check out MarkAble and Chapter Master from iPodSoft. MarkAble provides the ability to join multiple MP3 files together and convert them into an iTunes audiobook format and Chapter Master can then be used on the resulting files to add in the specific chapter markers. Each application is sold individually, but iPodSoft also provides a bundled price of $25 for both. Note that if you already have another tool that can join your MP3 files and convert them to an AAC format, you can purchase Chapter Master alone for $15 simply to add chapter markers. Much of the other functionality previously provided by MarkAble, such as making files bookmarkable and having them show up as Audiobooks, is now directly supported from within iTunes itself.
For Mac users, then the tool to use is Audiobook Builder by Splasm Software. This $10 application is capable of importing audio book CDs directly, merging existing MP3 files, and adding chapter markers to the resulting files.
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?
- How do I keep my iPhone calls from ringing on my Mac?
- Why doesn’t Traffic show up on my Today Notifications Screen?
- Why doesn’t my iPhone reconnect to Wi-Fi after I turn it on?
- Why can’t I see the iPad-style landscape view on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- iDevices adds dynamic automation, enhanced scheduling to ‘Connected’ app for HomeKit
- Apple reports that iOS 10.2.1 significantly reduces unexpected iPhone 6s shutdown issues
- Mobiata announces sunset of FlightTrack 5 and FlightBoard apps
- Harman announces first Wireless CarPlay implementation
- Report: Apple still considering several possible wireless charging solutions for ‘iPhone 8’
- Mini Metro adds Endless Mode
- Apple issues statement opposing Trump administration’s rescission of transgender rights
- ResearchKit study conducted using Apple Watch reveals new insights into seizures
- Instagram adds ability to include up to 10 photos or videos in a single post
- Facebook’s talks with MLB raise possibility that game streams could come to Apple TV
- PureGear PureSwitch HomeKit-enabled Wireless Smart Plug
- 1More Triple Driver In-Ear Headphones
- Revogi Smart Lightbulb, Smart Lightstrip, Smart Candle + Smart Meter Plug
- Audeze iSine10 In-Ear Headphones
- MOCACARE MOCACuff Connected Blood Pressure Monitor
- Apple AirPods
- Elgato Eve Motion
- Olloclip Core Lens Set for iPhone 7/7 Plus
- Logitech Pop Home Switch Starter Pack
- Elgato Eve Light Switch
- Top Five: The Best Products for Building a Smart Home with HomeKit
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of watchOS 3
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of tvOS 10
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 10
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Photos gets Advanced Computer Vision
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Music app delivers ‘clarity and simplicity’
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Maps gets a major redesign
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 shakes up the user experience
- Inside the betas: watchOS 3 promises a real speed boost
- Inside the betas: A sneak peek at what’s new in tvOS 10