Adding music from iPod nano to iPhone
Ask iLounge offers readers the opportunity to get answers to their iPod-, iPhone-, iPad-, iTunes-, or Apple TV-related questions from a member of the iLounge editorial team. We'll answer several questions here each week, and of course, you can always get help with more immediate concerns from the iLounge Discussion Forums. Submit your questions for consideration using our Ask iLounge Submit Form. We reserve the right to edit questions for grammar, spelling, and length.
Q: I’m having difficulty transferring the music from my second-generation iPod nano to my iPhone 3G with the use of a PC. How do I do this so I can still keep the music on the iPod but also have it on my iPhone? iTunes obviously is no help, as it is exclusive for the computer and the specific iPod that I have. Is there a program that can help me do this? Thank you in advance.
A: Actually, you can use the same iTunes library to manage the music on both your iPod nano and your iPhone. iTunes will simply see your iPhone as another device right alongside your iPod, and it will have its own sync settings that are specific to the iPhone, so you can choose to manage the content manually on the iPhone while syncing automatically with your iPod nano, or choose to sync different playlists. Setting this up is no more complicated than simply connecting the iPhone to your computer—iTunes will present a setup assistant and take you through the initial steps of configuring the sync settings for your iPhone. After that you can simply select your iPhone in the “Devices” list in iTunes and configure it in much the same way as your iPod nano.
On the other hand, if you’re trying to sync your iPhone with a different computer, then you will need to transfer the music from either your existing iTunes library on the original computer, or copy it from the iPod nano onto the second computer and import it into iTunes on there. For more information on copying the iTunes library itself, see our article on Transferring your iTunes Library. If you need to copy the music back from your iPod nano instead, see our tutorial on Copying Content from your iPod to your Computer.
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?
- How do I keep my iPhone calls from ringing on my Mac?
- Why doesn’t Traffic show up on my Today Notifications Screen?
- Why doesn’t my iPhone reconnect to Wi-Fi after I turn it on?
- Why can’t I see the iPad-style landscape view on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- Families fight in court over missing teen’s iPhone data
- Court allows police to force woman to unlock iPhone with Touch ID fingerprint
- Coach reportedly releasing bands for Apple Watch
- Invoxia adds Amazon Alexa to Triby
- Apple provides more details on new Apple Music API
- Apple Music for Android adds music videos, Family Plan support
- Icahn pulls out of Apple over China concerns
- Apple launches CareKit, with four apps debuting today
- Alleged schematics for iPhone 7 ‘Pro’ show up in Japanese magazine
- Nintendo bringing Fire Emblem, Animal Crossing to iOS
- August Doorbell Cam
- August Smart Lock HomeKit enabled + Smart Keypad
- ecobee3 HomeKit-enabled smart Wi-Fi thermostat
- Zagg Now Cam
- Yantouch EyE Portable Wireless Speaker
- Netatmo Wind Gauge
- Incipio Stashback for iPhone 6/6s
- Schlage Sense Smart Deadbolt with HomeKit support
- ClamCase ClamCase Pro for iPad mini 4
- Brydge BrydgeMini II Keyboard for iPad mini 4
- Filling the Gap: A look at third-party HomeKit apps
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of tvOS 9.2
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 9.3
- Opinion: Why Apple needs a dedicated HomeKit app
- Inside the betas: What’s new in iOS 9.3 and tvOS 9.2 (Updated)
- Life with HomeKit: Our experiences with Apple’s home automation system
- Under the Radar: 10 ‘hidden’ details about the new Apple TV
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 9.0
- Under the Radar: A closer look at smaller iPhone 6s and iPhone 6s Plus changes
- A First Look at iOS 9’s Transit in Apple Maps (Updated for watchOS 2)