Adding music to multiple iTunes libraries
Ask iLounge offers readers the opportunity to get answers to their iPod-, iPhone-, iPad-, iTunes-, or Apple TV-related questions from a member of the iLounge editorial team. We'll answer several questions here each week, and of course, you can always get help with more immediate concerns from the iLounge Discussion Forums. Submit your questions for consideration using our Ask iLounge Submit Form. We reserve the right to edit questions for grammar, spelling, and length.
Q: So I thought I had a brilliant idea: share one library between our home computer and my wife’s work laptop using a portable hard drive. We could maintain/add files one time and also have a backup in case the home computer or it’s hard drive died. I set up the library at home on the computer’s large hard drive and then copied the files over using the “sync” feature of the portable hard drive. I then set up my wife’s laptop’s iTunes to point at the portable hard drive’s iTunes Music folder, added all the music and things were working well. This weekend I added a bunch of new music to the home computer and synced the external hard drive, which quickly and automatically added all the new folders and files to itself. When my wife fired up her laptop, she used the “consolidate” feature to find the new music, but it didn’t work because it evidently only looks for music OUTSIDE of the iTunes directory, not INSIDE, for changes. How does one get iTunes to scan it’s OWN library folder for newly added folders and files? “Consolidate” seems to only look outside the iTunes folder and obviously having to manually add every folder or file would take tedious hours. Thanks for any help!
A: Actually, the “Consolidate” function is not used to search for media content at all. Rather, what it does is to take any tracks that are already listed in the iTunes library and copy them into the iTunes Media folder. This is useful in situations where you’ve been importing music from other locations on your hard drive without copying it, or where you want to relocate your iTunes Music folder to another folder or hard drive.
To get iTunes to add new tracks, you need to use the File, Add to Library option in iTunes in much the same manner as you would for any other new tracks. In this case you can simply point iTunes on your wife’s computer to the parent iTunes Music folder on the external hard drive. iTunes will go through the entire folder structure and import any tracks it finds that are not already listed in your iTunes library but will skip over any tracks that have already been imported.
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?
- How do I keep my iPhone calls from ringing on my Mac?
- Why doesn’t Traffic show up on my Today Notifications Screen?
- Why doesn’t my iPhone reconnect to Wi-Fi after I turn it on?
- Why can’t I see the iPad-style landscape view on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- Report: Some third-party repairs ‘bricking’ iPhones with iOS 9
- Report: Apple to bid on NFL Thursday Night Football streaming rights
- Apple to begin taking broken iPhones for trade-in, offer in-store screen protector installation
- Apple ordered to pay $625M to VirnetX in patent case
- Apple Pay reaches 2 million retail locations
- Apple acquires security company LegbaCore
- Zagg to acquire Mophie for $100 million
- Report: iPhone 7 to include flush camera lens, drop rear antenna bands
- Report: iPhone 5se, iPad Air 3 set for March 15 unveil
- Alleged iPad Air 3 drawing shows Smart Connector, four speakers, camera flash
- Gumdrop Cases DropTech Case for iPad Pro
- Edifier MP700 Rave Portable Bluetooth Speaker
- Just Mobile HoverDock for Apple Watch + HoverDock for iPhone
- VRS Design Dandy Layered Case for iPad Pro
- Just Mobile TENC for iPad Pro
- Native Union DOCK Lightning
- Native Union DOCK for Apple Watch
- Hitcase Pro+ Action Pack and Snap for iPhone 6/6s
- Urban Armor Gear Trooper for iPhone 6/6s
- NEBO CaseBrite for iPhone 6 Plus/6s Plus
- Inside the betas: What’s new in iOS 9.3 and tvOS 9.2 (Updated)
- Life with HomeKit: Our experiences with Apple’s home automation system
- Under the Radar: 10 ‘hidden’ details about the new Apple TV
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 9.0
- Under the Radar: A closer look at smaller iPhone 6s and iPhone 6s Plus changes
- A First Look at iOS 9’s Transit in Apple Maps (Updated for watchOS 2)
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iTunes 12.2
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 8.4 + Apple Music
- CE Week 2015: IK Multimedia, Monowear’s Apple Watch bands + More
- Live From CE Week 2015: Brand New iPad, iPhone + Mac Accessories!