Advanced Smart Playlists in iTunes 9
Ask iLounge offers readers the opportunity to get answers to their iPod-, iPhone-, iPad-, iTunes-, or Apple TV-related questions from a member of the iLounge editorial team. We'll answer several questions here each week, and of course, you can always get help with more immediate concerns from the iLounge Discussion Forums. Submit your questions for consideration using our Ask iLounge Submit Form. We reserve the right to edit questions for grammar, spelling, and length.
Q: I have a Smart Playlist setup to choose music that was not played in the last 30 days and is in my Party playlist. Now I want to add another playlist criteria to this Smart Playlist, but when I add “Playlist is Beach Music” it only shortens the list to show songs that in in both playlists. How can you select from multiple playlists to play in a Smart Playlist?
A: Prior to iTunes 9 this required that you actually set up two Smart Playlists. The first would select your music from either Party OR Beach Music (match ANY condition) and the second would then select all music from the first Smart Playlist that hadn’t been played in the past 30 days (match ALL conditions). This was necessary as you could only specify that a Smart Playlist match ALL criteria or ANY criteria, but not a mixture of both.
Fortunately, iTunes 9 now provides more complex Smart Playlist options, and you can nest multiple layers of different conditions without having to resort to intermediate Smart Playlists. When creating a Smart Playlist in iTunes 9, you can add an additional criteria group simply by clicking on the ellipsis button which appears to the right of the minus button. You can then specify that the ANY or ALL of the rules in that sub-group must be matched, and then that matching condition combined with the next highest grouping. You can even nest these groupings several layers deep. A Smart Playlist like the following would likely meet your requirements:
This essentially says that the Smart Playlist will select all music that has not been played in the last 30 days AND is in either the Party playlist OR the Beach Music playlist.
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?
- How do I keep my iPhone calls from ringing on my Mac?
- Why doesn’t Traffic show up on my Today Notifications Screen?
- Why doesn’t my iPhone reconnect to Wi-Fi after I turn it on?
- Why can’t I see the iPad-style landscape view on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- Apple releases iOS 10.0.2 to fix headphone controls, iCloud Photo Library
- Report: Apple’s Siri home hub has reached the prototype stage
- Apple acquires machine learning company Tuplejump
- Apple releases iOS 10.1 public beta
- iOS 10.1 beta adds ‘Portrait’ Depth of Field effect
- Apple releases first iOS 10.1, watchOS 3.1, tvOS 10.0.1 developer betas
- Report: Apple considering acquisition of high-performance car maker McLaren (Update: and Lit Motors)
- Google brings Allo messaging app to iOS
- Apple working on fix for Lightning EarPods glitch
- DisplayMate says iPhone 7 has the ‘best performing mobile LCD display’
- Thought Out Simplex Tablet iPad Stand
- SmartX Galaxy ZEGA Starter Kit
- Apple iPhone 7 Plus Leather Case
- Apple Watch Series 2
- iPhone 7 and iPhone 7 Plus
- Twelve South HiRise 2 for iPhone + iPad
- Nomad Pod Pro for iPhone and Apple Watch
- Sevenhugs hugOne Sleep Monitoring System
- Kanex GoPower Watch Portable Battery for Apple Watch
- Nuvyyo Tablo Over-the-Air Television DVR
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of watchOS 3
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of tvOS 10
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 10
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Photos gets Advanced Computer Vision
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Music app delivers ‘clarity and simplicity’
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Maps gets a major redesign
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 shakes up the user experience
- Inside the betas: watchOS 3 promises a real speed boost
- Inside the betas: A sneak peek at what’s new in tvOS 10
- Filling the Gap: A look at third-party HomeKit apps