Album Artist on iPod
Ask iLounge offers readers the opportunity to get answers to their iPod-, iPhone-, iPad-, iTunes-, or Apple TV-related questions from a member of the iLounge editorial team. We'll answer several questions here each week, and of course, you can always get help with more immediate concerns from the iLounge Discussion Forums. Submit your questions for consideration using our Ask iLounge Submit Form. We reserve the right to edit questions for grammar, spelling, and length.
Q: I have several CDs that have guest artists featured with the main artist in several songs on the album. I’d like to list both artists such that either one would show up in a search. For example, I have a song which is sung by both Tony Bennett and Frank Sinatra, and I list the artist as “Tony Bennett & Frank Sinatra.” This way, either artist will appear when I search in iTunes.
The problem is that on my iPod, if I select Tony Bennett as the artist I want to play, “Tony Bennett & Frank Sinatra” is considered a different artist, so that song will not play in the group. If I define the whole album as a “Compilation”, the tracks stay together on the iPod, but in an entirely different menu. Is there any way around this silly, annoying issue?
A: Unfortunately, no. However, there is a bit of hope for the future: iTunes 7 just made available an “Album Artist” field to all tracks in your computer’s library, which accomplishes exactly what you want—it links songs together as an album, when the artist tags aren’t exactly the same, and when the album is not technically a Compilation. For example, in your case, you’d tag the arist field of the tracks as you currently are (“Tony Bennett with Frank Sinatra”), while tagging the Album Artist field with “Tony Bennett,” linking this track with the rest of his.
The new feature makes the proper organization, tagging, and browsing of such albums much better in iTunes, but unfortunately, the iPod cannot yet make use of this “Album Artist” tag. In the meantime, you’ll have to restort to using the old, suboptimal Compilation trick, On-The-Go playlists, or smart playlists (Artist contains Tony Bennett) to accomplish the continuous, comprehensive artist playback you’re looking for.
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?
- How do I keep my iPhone calls from ringing on my Mac?
- Why doesn’t Traffic show up on my Today Notifications Screen?
- Why doesn’t my iPhone reconnect to Wi-Fi after I turn it on?
- Why can’t I see the iPad-style landscape view on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- Apple filming original ‘dark drama’ television series featuring Dr. Dre
- Apple under fire for patent infringement from haptic feedback company Immersion
- CBS CEO Moonves notes Apple talks have stopped
- Apple will source iPhone 7 ‘A10’ CPU solely from TSMC
- Federal bill aims to take regulatory power for phone encryption out of state hands
- Job post shows Apple emphasizing new complications, faces for Apple Watch
- New comments hint at forthcoming streaming TV service from Apple
- Apple Music available on Sonos starting today
- Screen protector installation now available at Apple Stores
- Russia mulling tax increase on App Store purchases, other Apple services
- VRS Design Crystal Bumper, High Pro Shield + Verge Active for iPhone 6/6s
- Vicks SmartTemp Wireless Smartphone Thermometer
- Gumdrop Cases DropTech Case for iPad Pro
- Edifier MP700 Rave Portable Bluetooth Speaker
- Just Mobile HoverDock for Apple Watch + HoverDock for iPhone
- VRS Design Dandy Layered Case for iPad Pro
- Just Mobile TENC for iPad Pro
- Native Union DOCK Lightning
- Native Union DOCK for Apple Watch
- Hitcase Pro+ Action Pack and Snap for iPhone 6/6s
- Inside the betas: What’s new in iOS 9.3 and tvOS 9.2 (Updated)
- Life with HomeKit: Our experiences with Apple’s home automation system
- Under the Radar: 10 ‘hidden’ details about the new Apple TV
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 9.0
- Under the Radar: A closer look at smaller iPhone 6s and iPhone 6s Plus changes
- A First Look at iOS 9’s Transit in Apple Maps (Updated for watchOS 2)
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iTunes 12.2
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 8.4 + Apple Music
- CE Week 2015: IK Multimedia, Monowear’s Apple Watch bands + More
- Live From CE Week 2015: Brand New iPad, iPhone + Mac Accessories!