Album Artist on iPod
Ask iLounge offers readers the opportunity to get answers to their iPod-, iPhone-, iPad-, iTunes-, or Apple TV-related questions from a member of the iLounge editorial team. We'll answer several questions here each week, and of course, you can always get help with more immediate concerns from the iLounge Discussion Forums. Submit your questions for consideration using our Ask iLounge Submit Form. We reserve the right to edit questions for grammar, spelling, and length.
Q: I have several CDs that have guest artists featured with the main artist in several songs on the album. I’d like to list both artists such that either one would show up in a search. For example, I have a song which is sung by both Tony Bennett and Frank Sinatra, and I list the artist as “Tony Bennett & Frank Sinatra.” This way, either artist will appear when I search in iTunes.
The problem is that on my iPod, if I select Tony Bennett as the artist I want to play, “Tony Bennett & Frank Sinatra” is considered a different artist, so that song will not play in the group. If I define the whole album as a “Compilation”, the tracks stay together on the iPod, but in an entirely different menu. Is there any way around this silly, annoying issue?
A: Unfortunately, no. However, there is a bit of hope for the future: iTunes 7 just made available an “Album Artist” field to all tracks in your computer’s library, which accomplishes exactly what you want—it links songs together as an album, when the artist tags aren’t exactly the same, and when the album is not technically a Compilation. For example, in your case, you’d tag the arist field of the tracks as you currently are (“Tony Bennett with Frank Sinatra”), while tagging the Album Artist field with “Tony Bennett,” linking this track with the rest of his.
The new feature makes the proper organization, tagging, and browsing of such albums much better in iTunes, but unfortunately, the iPod cannot yet make use of this “Album Artist” tag. In the meantime, you’ll have to restort to using the old, suboptimal Compilation trick, On-The-Go playlists, or smart playlists (Artist contains Tony Bennett) to accomplish the continuous, comprehensive artist playback you’re looking for.
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?
- How do I keep my iPhone calls from ringing on my Mac?
- Why doesn’t Traffic show up on my Today Notifications Screen?
- Why doesn’t my iPhone reconnect to Wi-Fi after I turn it on?
- Why can’t I see the iPad-style landscape view on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- iDevices adds dynamic automation, enhanced scheduling to ‘Connected’ app for HomeKit
- Apple reports that iOS 10.2.1 significantly reduces unexpected iPhone 6s shutdown issues
- Mobiata announces sunset of FlightTrack 5 and FlightBoard apps
- Harman announces first Wireless CarPlay implementation
- Report: Apple still considering several possible wireless charging solutions for ‘iPhone 8’
- Mini Metro adds Endless Mode
- Apple issues statement opposing Trump administration’s rescission of transgender rights
- ResearchKit study conducted using Apple Watch reveals new insights into seizures
- Instagram adds ability to include up to 10 photos or videos in a single post
- Facebook’s talks with MLB raise possibility that game streams could come to Apple TV
- PureGear PureSwitch HomeKit-enabled Wireless Smart Plug
- 1More Triple Driver In-Ear Headphones
- Revogi Smart Lightbulb, Smart Lightstrip, Smart Candle + Smart Meter Plug
- Audeze iSine10 In-Ear Headphones
- MOCACARE MOCACuff Connected Blood Pressure Monitor
- Apple AirPods
- Elgato Eve Motion
- Olloclip Core Lens Set for iPhone 7/7 Plus
- Logitech Pop Home Switch Starter Pack
- Elgato Eve Light Switch
- Top Five: The Best Products for Building a Smart Home with HomeKit
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of watchOS 3
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of tvOS 10
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 10
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Photos gets Advanced Computer Vision
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Music app delivers ‘clarity and simplicity’
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Maps gets a major redesign
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 shakes up the user experience
- Inside the betas: watchOS 3 promises a real speed boost
- Inside the betas: A sneak peek at what’s new in tvOS 10