All Things Apple TV
Apple TV - the first TV-centric media player compatible with Apple’s iTunes media management software for Macs and PCs - was released in March, 2007. Cosmetically similar to the company’s low-end Mac mini personal computer but smaller and less fully-featured, Apple TV is designed to connect to most enhanced- or high-definition widescreen TVs and perform music, photo, and video content streamed or synchronized from iTunes. A 40GB hard drive is inside the base model, with 32GB of usable storage space for synchronization, while a 160GB version has 144GB of capacity. In each case, an 802.11b/g/n wireless card enables you to update the device’s media library without wires. Both come with a power cable and standard Apple Remote control; you provide the audio and video cables to connect to your TV.
In February 2008, Apple TV was updated with software version 2.0, and between January and February saw a price drop from $299 to $229 for the 40GB model, and $399 to $329 for the 160GB model. The new software enables Apple TV to work independently of a computer, downloading its own purchased or rented content directly from a stripped-down version of the iTunes Store; the Apple TV version of the Store now rents Apple TV-specific high-definition movies and device-agnostic standard-definition movies, while selling music and TV shows for purchase. Thanks to both versions 1.1 and 2.0 of the Apple TV software, YouTube videos, podcasts, photos, and both HD and SD movie trailers can now be streamed directly from the Internet to Apple TV without the involvement of a computer, as well.
Apple TV Take 2 Review (iLounge rating: B+): This is our comprehensive review of Apple TV Take 2 (also known as Apple TV software 2.0), featuring information on the updated software’s features, including HD movie rentals, iTunes Store purchasing and renting, photo streaming from Flickr and .Mac libraries, and more. Additional summarized discussion of the hardware’s performance, limitations, and required accessories are summarized and expanded upon from the prior review.
Apple TV Review (iLounge rating: B): This is our original March 2007 comprehensive review of Apple TV, featuring information on the device’s performance, limitations, required accessories, and more. It was updated in June 2007 with details on the 160GB Apple TV, which shipped to customers on June 1, 2007.
Apple TV’s HD and SD Video Rentals, Compared with Blu-Ray, DVD, and HD Cable On Demand: This photographic comparison article shows the differences between five different types of video rentals that vie for your entertainment dollars. Apple TV’s 720p high-definition videos are contrasted with superior Blu-Ray Disc video and supposedly, but not actually superior HD video on demand, as well as lower-end options such as DVD rentals and standard-definition iTunes Store videos.
Ten Things You Didn’t Know About Apple TV 2.0: A quick summary article spotlighting little-known updates to the Apple TV 2.0 software from its 1.1 predecessor, as well as its interaction with iTunes.
The Complete Guide to Apple TV 1.1 Software and YouTube: On June 20, 2007, Apple updated Apple TV’s software to version 1.1, adding support for YouTube video browsing, a new screensaver, and other features. All the details are inside the Complete Guide, while YouTube on Apple TV: Our Thoughts, and Yours shares our opinions on what’s been added.
The Complete Guide to Apple TV Optimization: Provides an overview of third-party hacks and software that expand the Apple TV past its original abilities, and make the most of those abilities through video encoding tools.
First Look: iTV/Apple TV: Apple TV was originally announced at the It’s Showtime event in September 2006 under the name iTV, and rebranded Apple TV during a January 2007 formal product introduction at Macworld Expo. This updated First Look provides historical details and photographs of the product prior to its final form as reviewed above.
Apple TV: Our Opinions, Post-Expo: Offers a digest-style view of the Apple TV after its formal announcement in January, 2007.
Will Apple TV Succeed? Our Views, Your Views Opened for reader discussion, this editorial contains the views of many iLounge editors immediately prior to the release of Apple TV.
Top Ten Reasons You Don’t Need an Apple TV (Yet): Provides some of the reasons users might consider holding off on the current-generation version of Apple TV in favor of later successors or alternatives.
Additional Photos and Videos
Video: Apple TV 2.0 Interface in Action: See the Apple TV’s version 2.0 interface in a walkthrough that spotlights all of its new menus, and the new layout of those menus.
Video: Apple TV 1.0 Interface in Action: Watch the Apple TV’s version 1.0 interface in action, moving through movies, TV shows, videos, and photos.
It’s Showtime: the Photo Gallery: See firsthand the introduction of “iTV” at Apple’s “It’s Showtime” Event in San Francisco, California, September 12, 2006.
Macworld Expo 2007: the Photo Gallery: See iTV’s re-introduction as Apple TV at Steve jobs’ January 2007 keynote speech in San Francisco, California.
Apple TV Unpack and Comparison Photo Gallery: Check out our initial Apple TV unboxing photo gallery, including full shots of the box opening process, close-ups of the various components, and comparisons against Mac mini and iPods.
Further Links of General Interest
Apple to Add Free iPhone, Apple TV Features Over Time: On April 25, 2007, Apple announced that it will be adding new features to the Apple TV over its lifespan.
Free Podcast Content for Your Apple TV: Apple iTunes Store-selected podcasts designed to look better than average on larger-screened TVs.
Apple TV & Accessories: This section of our comprehensive accessories guide provides looks at accessories specifically marketed towards owners of Apple TVs.
Originally posted March 26, 2007, this article was last updated on February 15, 2008.
- Live From CE Week 2014: Brand New iPad, iPhone + Mac Accessories!
- iLounge’s 2014 CES Best of Show Awards: iPad, iPhone, iPod + Mac
- Ten Things You Didn’t Know About Apple’s 2013 iPad, Air + mini Lineup
- CE Week 2013: The iPad, iPhone, iPod + Mac Show Report
- iLounge’s 2013 CES Best of Show Awards: iPad, iPhone + iPod Gear
- Ten Things You Didn’t Know About Apple’s iPad mini + iPad (4th-Gen)
If you have a comment, news tip, advertising inquiry, or coverage request, a question about iPods/iPhones/iPad or accessories, or if you sell or market iPod/iPhone/iPad products or services, read iLounge's Comments + Questions policies before posting, and fully identify yourself if you do. We will delete comments containing advertising, astroturfing, trolling, personal attacks, offensive language, or other objectionable content, then ban and/or publicly identify violators.
- Revamped Apple music service not coming until WWDC; new Apple TV later this year?
- Larger iPad production delayed until later this year, USB 3.0 ports to be added?
- Apple, others likely to reach $415M settlement in poaching lawsuit [Update: settlement approved]
- Apple and HBO in talks for ‘HBO Now’ service launch
- Report: Next-gen ‘iPhone 6s’ to feature 2GB RAM, Apple SIM
- Apple looking to settle with electric car battery company
- Apple pushing out fix next week for ‘FREAK’ security flaw
- Report: Apple Watch retail strategy aims to push iPhone sales
- Apple back on top in phone sales for first time since 2011
- Phishing scam targets iCloud credentials of iOS device theft victims
- Gumdrop Cases Drop Tech Case for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- Uniq Aircraft+ for iPhone 6
- Speck MightyShell + Faceplate for iPhone 6 Plus
- Mobile Home Siri remote
- Olloclip Macro 3-in-1 Lens, Telephoto + CPL Lens for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- ExoLens Professional Photography System for iPhone 6
- Incipio offGRID Shine for iPhone 6
- Seidio Obex for iPhone 6
- RooCase GlacialTough for iPhone 6 Plus, VersaTough for iPhone 6 + 6 Plus
- CM4 Q Card Case for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- Can I transfer the existing version of an app to my new iPhone?
- How do I quickly erase all of the contacts on my old iPhone?
- How do I disassociate my phone number from iMessage?
- How do I stop Siri from randomly waking up?
- How do I cancel a print job on iOS?
- How do I make my camera LED flash when my iPhone rings?
- How do I re-sync contacts to my vehicle after switching to a new iPhone?
- How do I move away from a shared Apple ID for iMessage?
- How do I consolidate iTunes purchases into a single account?
- How can I more easily Handoff a web page from my Mac to my iPhone?