All Things iPhone | iLounge Article

Article

All Things iPhone

image

What’s the iPhone? On January 9, 2007, Apple CEO Steve Jobs announced what he called a revolutionary device - one portable product combining a widescreen, touchscreen iPod, a GSM mobile phone, and Wi-Fi-enabled portable Internet communications functionality. He proudly named the device “iPhone.”

Roughly the size of a 30GB fifth-generation iPod, but slightly taller, iPhone was designed to capture 1% of the nearly 1-billion-unit-per-year mobile phone market by 2008, appealing to potential iPod, smartphone, and wireless data users through a futuristic but simple integrated interface. The device has sensors that detect ambient light levels, proximity to your face, and turning motions, enabling iPhone to automatically brighten, dim, turn off, and rotate its screen for various functions. And as promised, it handles everything from iPod video and music playback to e-mail and web browsing to cell phone calls and voicemail. You can view a video of the phone’s interface and body we’ve posted online.

Today, we have radically expanded our All Things iPhone hub to provide almost all the factual information you’ll need to make an informed decision about whether the new device’s features and limitations are right for you. Now divided into five sections, All Things iPhone is based on months of iLounge editorial research, hands-on testing after the iPhone’s unveiling, and comments from numerous industry insiders. Our separate 10-page review of the iPhone offers further opinions on the device’s performance, features, and viability given other available alternatives.

To make it easy for you to learn about iPhone’s major features, we’ve created a clickable graphic that lets you select any of iPhone’s face buttons to learn about its features. It’ll take you directly to our 16 Applications section of the All Things iPhone guide. Otherwise, use the links below to find the information you want.

All Things iPhone: Future Features, Sequels and PartnersAll Things iPhone: Add-Ons and Third-Party Software All Things iPhone: Interface and the 16 ApplicationsAll Things iPhone: What's Inside, Pricing, and DatesAll Things iPhone: What's Outside

For more on iPhone, check out our wide collection of iPhone news stories, iPhone accessory news stories, iPhone software news stories, and our iPhone Discussion Forum. You can also see pictures of the iPhone unveiling in January, 2007. Information on the November 9, 2007 U.K. launch of the iPhone is also available.

[Editor’s Note: All Things iPhone was originally posted January 16, 2007, and was last updated September 18, 2007.]

Comments

At the keynote, Jobs said there was a tray for the SIM Card and the graphic he showed pointed to the back of the device. No sim tray is visible so, is the SIM pre-installed or does the back of the device come off? If it comes off will it give access to the battery? questions, questions…

Posted by xandermac on January 16, 2007 at 3:24 PM (CST)

I would never buy an expensive phone knowing that in just a few months… maybe a year the manufacturer will pull out a new phone which will be waaaay better. Apple is lucky with its fan-base because considering normal people… Apple will be competing against itself with its usual release calendar.

Posted by Just me on January 16, 2007 at 3:47 PM (CST)

xandermac: nobody knows. Most think it is behid that slightly darker piece on the rear-bottom of the phone.

Posted by anti-luddite on January 16, 2007 at 6:28 PM (CST)

I have to say those are the clearest images I’ve seen of the iPhone in that dang glass display… Kudos!

Posted by jacqueliner on January 16, 2007 at 7:39 PM (CST)

in the keynote it looked like the sim card was on top next to the head phones but i may be wrong. any pics oh the top part?

Posted by BIGP in Texas on January 16, 2007 at 9:25 PM (CST)

I’m oh so not interested until they add HDSPA.  What is the point in having a “smartphone” that accesses the internet at double dial-up (100kbps = approximately 54kbps modem speed x 2) speed?

Posted by sleight42 on January 16, 2007 at 9:47 PM (CST)

No video recording? Bah! What a bummer

Posted by Mythwolf in Pakistan on January 17, 2007 at 7:08 AM (CST)

This is an *amazing* article. Thanks, Jeremy, for such a thorough look at this device.

Posted by Syncopator on February 14, 2007 at 3:14 PM (CST)

Will it be able to handle streaming video off of websites - say we wanted to watch a free Lost episode from the station’s site??

Posted by IngridG on May 21, 2007 at 1:08 PM (CDT)

In view of its several and severe disadvantages (high price, restriction to Cingular/AT&T, lack of voice dialing, small amount of memory for music & video, relatively short battery life), what the iPhone truly needs to succeed is a KILLER APP.

Such an app could well be DICTATION SOFTWARE, since the device already has an operating system and microphone–software that would let a user dictate an Email or dictate text that could go into a rudimentary word processor, like TEXTEDIT, and then to a computer file or printer.

Now that would set this head and shoulders above every other cell phone !

Posted by Al Feldzamen on June 4, 2007 at 11:19 AM (CDT)

seriously unimpressed with the iphone think apple just using its Ipod brand the wrong way, in europe all the serious gadgeteers will laugh at it, nokia n95 way better and cheaper off contract and out now in europe.

Posted by raidendavidb on June 21, 2007 at 5:02 PM (CDT)

I have to concur with raidendavidb. The iPhone is DOA in Europe. I have an N95 that does all of this and then some without the totally stupid restrictions placed on the phone. Maybe EDGE is okay for the US but it was something I used about two years ago. Wake me when this thing has HSDPA. Till then, I will roll along with my N95, GPS, vid recording, 4 gig SD, A2DP, etc…...

Posted by Don Trammell on June 25, 2007 at 6:30 PM (CDT)

Well as stated before my HTC trinity has all abilities of the iPhone plus some extra features (e.g. VidRecording, A2DP, HSDPA 3G, buitin GPS Navigation, Exchange Push Mail with the abilite to auto Sync email, Contacts, Calendar online) and it is cheaper).

But… its not Apple. Its not that stylish. People would buy a Brick for 300$ if it would have been designed by Apple…

Posted by saminegm on June 29, 2007 at 2:25 AM (CDT)

How do I sync my Entourage to the iPhone? It only moves iCal which I have not been using.

Posted by delo on July 6, 2007 at 10:16 AM (CDT)

it would be the “bomb” if I could use itune visualizer along with the ringer when I’m getting a phone call. To see multi-colors change the outward appearance of my phone, heck…., I would be using my home phone to call the iphone just for the light show!

Posted by thKoolfool on July 6, 2007 at 11:01 AM (CDT)

sim card is on top, you use paperclip to eject it

Posted by HardyMacia on July 7, 2007 at 12:01 PM (CDT)

I seen someone who had a pda xv-6700   audiovox with Verizon service with the Iphone screen and the widgets for icons , do anyone know how or what that is please. This is on windows mobile 5.0 platform.

Posted by Smoothlex on July 24, 2007 at 3:30 PM (CDT)

I just returned my iphone.
Every now and then someone would say they called me and left me a message but I had no voicemail.  This happened a few times.  Then I tested it with a friend.  We called my phone 3 times left 3 messages but the phone only kept 2 of them.  It never had a record of the 3rd call.  It has some great features but being able to receive voicemail is a basic function.  So, see ya Reject-phone!  Does anyone know how to get that Nokia n95 phone in Europe?  Will that work in the States.

Posted by indacasa on August 21, 2007 at 12:14 AM (CDT)

the iphone takes super clear pictures. theres also many applications you can buy for it, but i think the phone is very laggy. the touchscreen keypad is also a little difficult to use. calls are fine and has good reception.

Posted by Kim on October 14, 2008 at 4:31 PM (CDT)

Just got the new Iphone 3g and I want to transfer some pics and some audio clips from my WinXP PC on to my iphone. Everyone says to use iTUNES but I already have a HUGE itunes library for my old i-pod that I’ve been using for years. And one time, I made the mistake of hooking up someone else’s i-pod to my pc and then, itunes popped up and somehow, my ENTIRE itunes library and all my settings were completely wiped out!  Will the same thing happen if I try to connect my I-PHONE?

I NEED to know before I take the plunge.

All I want to do is get a few pics and some songs off of my PC and onto my I-PHONE 3G without my existing itunes library being effected.

Any thoughts or ideas?

THANKS!

Posted by Michael on November 24, 2008 at 10:09 AM (CST)

No Cut and Paste is a deal breaker…

Posted by tone on February 18, 2009 at 4:21 PM (CST)

Being honest, i have never come across to a phone with lots of challeges like iphone. i must say its all i have been looking for all my life and now that i got it, am never bored. Thanks apple

Posted by Malongui on April 6, 2009 at 6:03 AM (CDT)