All Things iPhone
What’s the iPhone? On January 9, 2007, Apple CEO Steve Jobs announced what he called a revolutionary device - one portable product combining a widescreen, touchscreen iPod, a GSM mobile phone, and Wi-Fi-enabled portable Internet communications functionality. He proudly named the device “iPhone.”
Roughly the size of a 30GB fifth-generation iPod, but slightly taller, iPhone was designed to capture 1% of the nearly 1-billion-unit-per-year mobile phone market by 2008, appealing to potential iPod, smartphone, and wireless data users through a futuristic but simple integrated interface. The device has sensors that detect ambient light levels, proximity to your face, and turning motions, enabling iPhone to automatically brighten, dim, turn off, and rotate its screen for various functions. And as promised, it handles everything from iPod video and music playback to e-mail and web browsing to cell phone calls and voicemail. You can view a video of the phone’s interface and body we’ve posted online.
Today, we have radically expanded our All Things iPhone hub to provide almost all the factual information you’ll need to make an informed decision about whether the new device’s features and limitations are right for you. Now divided into five sections, All Things iPhone is based on months of iLounge editorial research, hands-on testing after the iPhone’s unveiling, and comments from numerous industry insiders. Our separate 10-page review of the iPhone offers further opinions on the device’s performance, features, and viability given other available alternatives.
To make it easy for you to learn about iPhone’s major features, we’ve created a clickable graphic that lets you select any of iPhone’s face buttons to learn about its features. It’ll take you directly to our 16 Applications section of the All Things iPhone guide. Otherwise, use the links below to find the information you want.
For more on iPhone, check out our wide collection of iPhone news stories, iPhone accessory news stories, iPhone software news stories, and our iPhone Discussion Forum. You can also see pictures of the iPhone unveiling in January, 2007. Information on the November 9, 2007 U.K. launch of the iPhone is also available.
[Editor’s Note: All Things iPhone was originally posted January 16, 2007, and was last updated September 18, 2007.]
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of Apple TV 5.2
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 6.1
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iTunes 11
- The Complete Guide to Transferring your Content to a new iPhone, iPad or iPod touch
- The Complete Guide to FaceTime + iMessage: Setup, Use, and Troubleshooting
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iBooks 3
If you have a comment, news tip, advertising inquiry, or coverage request, a question about iPods/iPhones/iPad or accessories, or if you sell or market iPod/iPhone/iPad products or services, read iLounge's Comments + Questions policies before posting, and fully identify yourself if you do. We will delete comments containing advertising, astroturfing, trolling, personal attacks, offensive language, or other objectionable content, then ban and/or publicly identify violators.
- Apple WWDC Keynote set for June 10
- Apps: Foursquare 6.2, Hyper Breaker Turbo, Pandora 4.3 + Shazam 6.0
- Apple patent application details interactive AirPlay, TV
- Report: iWatch pushed to late 2014?
- Griffin releases iPhone 5 Survivor + Catalyst Waterproof Case
- OtterBox acquires LifeProof
- LifeProof debuts Frē case for iPad mini
- Logitech debuts Wired Keyboard for iPad
- New Apple online store design alters focus, hides deals
- Apps: ABC Aquarium, Disney Jr. Appisodes, Pinterest 2.4 + Pocket Informant Pro 3.0
- C4 Electronics Dolry HiFi Stone 30-Pin AirPlay Adapter
- Boombotix Boombot Rex Bluetooth Wireless Speaker
- Nuu Splash Portable Waterproof Bluetooth Wireless Speaker
- Scosche boomBottle Weatherproof Sport Wireless Speaker
- HMDX Jam Plus Bluetooth Wireless Speaker
- Fitbit Flex Wireless Activity & Sleep Wristband
- Cambridge Audio Minx Air 100 + 200 Bluetooth + AirPlay Wireless Speakers
- Mophie Juice Pack Plus for iPhone 5
- Ultimate Ears UE Boom
- Trü Protection Trü-Fit Anti-Glare Film Set
- iMessages showing as Delivered when iPhone is out of coverage
- Inability to use Find My Friends without a passcode
- Calendar info disappears after iCloud restore
- Remove old iCloud backup after restoring to a new iPhone
- Setting up a ringtone in iTunes
- Using a Wi-Fi hard drive with an iPad
- Backing up and restoring an iPod classic
- Can’t restore iPod touch without passcode
- Retaining older versions of Apps during an iOS Restore
- Can’t eject iPod nano without closing Firefox