All Things iPhone
What’s the iPhone? On January 9, 2007, Apple CEO Steve Jobs announced what he called a revolutionary device - one portable product combining a widescreen, touchscreen iPod, a GSM mobile phone, and Wi-Fi-enabled portable Internet communications functionality. He proudly named the device “iPhone.”
Roughly the size of a 30GB fifth-generation iPod, but slightly taller, iPhone was designed to capture 1% of the nearly 1-billion-unit-per-year mobile phone market by 2008, appealing to potential iPod, smartphone, and wireless data users through a futuristic but simple integrated interface. The device has sensors that detect ambient light levels, proximity to your face, and turning motions, enabling iPhone to automatically brighten, dim, turn off, and rotate its screen for various functions. And as promised, it handles everything from iPod video and music playback to e-mail and web browsing to cell phone calls and voicemail. You can view a video of the phone’s interface and body we’ve posted online.
Today, we have radically expanded our All Things iPhone hub to provide almost all the factual information you’ll need to make an informed decision about whether the new device’s features and limitations are right for you. Now divided into five sections, All Things iPhone is based on months of iLounge editorial research, hands-on testing after the iPhone’s unveiling, and comments from numerous industry insiders. Our separate 10-page review of the iPhone offers further opinions on the device’s performance, features, and viability given other available alternatives.
To make it easy for you to learn about iPhone’s major features, we’ve created a clickable graphic that lets you select any of iPhone’s face buttons to learn about its features. It’ll take you directly to our 16 Applications section of the All Things iPhone guide. Otherwise, use the links below to find the information you want.
For more on iPhone, check out our wide collection of iPhone news stories, iPhone accessory news stories, iPhone software news stories, and our iPhone Discussion Forum. You can also see pictures of the iPhone unveiling in January, 2007. Information on the November 9, 2007 U.K. launch of the iPhone is also available.
[Editor’s Note: All Things iPhone was originally posted January 16, 2007, and was last updated September 18, 2007.]
- Ten Things You Didn’t Know About Apple’s HomeKit
- The Booths of the iProducts Marketplace at CES 2015
- Hands-on with CarPlay at CES 2015
- iLounge announces its CES 2015 Best of Show Awards
- Five Things to Watch for at CES 2015
- Last-Minute Holiday Gift Guide for 2014
- Alleged ‘iPad Pro’ photos show second Lightning port?
- Apple expands iPhone trade-in program to non-Apple devices
- Alleged ‘iPhone 6c’ rear shell photos leaked
- Gear section, Disqus comments added to iLounge
- FDA taking ‘hands-off approach’ to regulating Apple Watch
- Apple Watch won’t be sold to walk-in customers at launch
- Cook: ‘Religious freedom’ laws allowing discrimination are dangerous
- iLounge Weekly arrives Monday, sign up now
- Apple retail stores to have very limited Apple Watch stock
- Apple quietly acquiring companies to improve cloud services?
- OORT SmartFinder, SmartLED + SmartSocket
- RooCase Exec Tough for iPhone 6 Plus
- Pronto Smart Remote System
- iWalk Extreme Spartan
- EnerPlex Surfr for iPhone 6
- IK Multimedia iRig 2 Guitar Interface
- PowerSkin Pop’n 3 for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- Coogobox Symphony Dock for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- PowerSkin Spare for iPhone 6
- Chil Attraction Jacket for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- Can I turn off the app icons that appear in the bottom corner on the lock screen?
- Why do I have two separate conversations with the same person in Messages?
- Can I transfer the existing version of an app to my new iPhone?
- How do I quickly erase all of the contacts on my old iPhone?
- How do I disassociate my phone number from iMessage?
- How do I stop Siri from randomly waking up?
- How do I cancel a print job on iOS?
- How do I make my camera LED flash when my iPhone rings?
- How do I re-sync contacts to my vehicle after switching to a new iPhone?
- How do I move away from a shared Apple ID for iMessage?