All Things iPhone
What’s the iPhone? On January 9, 2007, Apple CEO Steve Jobs announced what he called a revolutionary device - one portable product combining a widescreen, touchscreen iPod, a GSM mobile phone, and Wi-Fi-enabled portable Internet communications functionality. He proudly named the device “iPhone.”
Roughly the size of a 30GB fifth-generation iPod, but slightly taller, iPhone was designed to capture 1% of the nearly 1-billion-unit-per-year mobile phone market by 2008, appealing to potential iPod, smartphone, and wireless data users through a futuristic but simple integrated interface. The device has sensors that detect ambient light levels, proximity to your face, and turning motions, enabling iPhone to automatically brighten, dim, turn off, and rotate its screen for various functions. And as promised, it handles everything from iPod video and music playback to e-mail and web browsing to cell phone calls and voicemail. You can view a video of the phone’s interface and body we’ve posted online.
Today, we have radically expanded our All Things iPhone hub to provide almost all the factual information you’ll need to make an informed decision about whether the new device’s features and limitations are right for you. Now divided into five sections, All Things iPhone is based on months of iLounge editorial research, hands-on testing after the iPhone’s unveiling, and comments from numerous industry insiders. Our separate 10-page review of the iPhone offers further opinions on the device’s performance, features, and viability given other available alternatives.
To make it easy for you to learn about iPhone’s major features, we’ve created a clickable graphic that lets you select any of iPhone’s face buttons to learn about its features. It’ll take you directly to our 16 Applications section of the All Things iPhone guide. Otherwise, use the links below to find the information you want.
For more on iPhone, check out our wide collection of iPhone news stories, iPhone accessory news stories, iPhone software news stories, and our iPhone Discussion Forum. You can also see pictures of the iPhone unveiling in January, 2007. Information on the November 9, 2007 U.K. launch of the iPhone is also available.
[Editor’s Note: All Things iPhone was originally posted January 16, 2007, and was last updated September 18, 2007.]
- Ten Things You Didn’t Know About Apple’s HomeKit
- The Booths of the iProducts Marketplace at CES 2015
- Hands-on with CarPlay at CES 2015
- iLounge announces its CES 2015 Best of Show Awards
- Five Things to Watch for at CES 2015
- Last-Minute Holiday Gift Guide for 2014
- Apple stuck with court-appointed antitrust monitor
- Apple to unveil rewards system for Apple Pay
- GM bringing CarPlay to 14 of its 2016 Chevy models
- Upcoming kit will allow developers to build native Apple Watch apps
- Apple may debut new ‘Proactive’ assistant with iOS 9
- Google Search will soon surface content from iOS apps
- iOS bug allows peculiar string of characters in Messages to reboot iPhones
- iOS 9 Transit feature to launch in select cities
- Report: iOS 9 to feature Force Touch support, updated keyboard
- Microsoft confirms Cortana coming to iOS this year
- Griffin WatchStand for Apple Watch
- Apple iPhone Lightning Dock
- Witti Notti and Dotti
- PhoneSuit Elite 6 and Elite 6 Pro Battery Case for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- Wren V5US Speaker
- Skech Base for iPad Air 2
- Anova Culinary Precision Cooker
- Phiaton MS 100 BA Earphones
- Olloclip Ollocase for iPhone 6
- AKG Y50 On-Ear Headphones
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?
- How do I keep my iPhone calls from ringing on my Mac?
- Why doesn’t Traffic show up on my Today Notifications Screen?
- Why doesn’t my iPhone reconnect to Wi-Fi after I turn it on?
- Why can’t I see the iPad-style landscape view on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- Is there a point to having both iCloud Photo Library and iCloud Photo Stream enabled?
- Why can’t I set a longer passcode timeout on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- Can I turn off Message Read Receipts for only some users?
- How do I share one iCloud Photo Library within a family?