All Things iPod 5G (with video)
The original fifth-generation iPod (with video) was released in October, 2005 with two different storage capacities (30GB/60GB) and two different colors (white/black). For the first time, the lower capacity iPod also boasted lower battery life than the larger version. Apple then released the iPod U2 Special Edition (with video) in June, 2006, mirroring the 30GB model’s feature set while updating prior U2 iPod-specific cosmetic and pack-in customizations. Finally, in September 2006, Apple introduced the “enhanced” fifth-generation iPod in 30GB and 80GB capacities, with superior screen brightness, video battery performance, and capacity for the dollar; it is otherwise the same as its predecessors.
iPod (with video) Hardware Reviews
Enhanced Fifth-Generation iPod (with video, 30GB/80GB) Review (iLounge rating: A-): This is our comprehensive review of the September 2006-vintage enhanced fifth-generation iPod (with video), featuring information on the device, audio quality, battery life, new accessories, old compatible and incompatible accessories, and more.
Fifth-Generation iPod (with video) Review (iLounge rating: A-/B+): This is our comprehensive review of the original fifth-generation iPod (with video), featuring information on the device, audio quality, battery life, new accessories, old compatible and incompatible accessories, and more.
iPod U2 Special Edition Review (iLounge rating: B+): This is our comprehensive review of the iPod U2 Special Edition (with video), featuring information on the device, audio quality, battery life, new accessories, old compatible and incompatible accessories, and more.
It’s Showtime: the Photo Gallery: See firsthand the introduction of the enhanced 5G iPod at Apple’s “It’s Showtime” Event in San Francisco, California, September 12, 2006.
iPod 5G Unpack Photo Gallery: Check out our incredible iPod 5G photo gallery, including full shots of the box opening process, close-ups of the various components, and comparisons against other iPods.
iPod 5G Unveiled: the Photo Gallery: See firsthand the introduction of the original iPod 5G at Apple’s “One More Thing…” Event in San Jose, California, October, 2005.
iPod 5G Links of General Interest
Picking the Right iPod for You: Download iLounge’s 2007 iPod Buyers’ Guide for help in picking the best iPod for your personal needs and budget.
Check out iLounge’s Reviews section for the an up-to-date list of iPod 5G cases and accessories reviewed.
- CE Week 2015: IK Multimedia, Monowear’s Apple Watch bands + More
- Live From CE Week 2015: Brand New iPad, iPhone + Mac Accessories!
- Live From CE Week 2014: Brand New iPad, iPhone + Mac Accessories!
- iLounge’s 2014 CES Best of Show Awards: iPad, iPhone, iPod + Mac
- Ten Things You Didn’t Know About Apple’s 2013 iPad, Air + mini Lineup
- CE Week 2013: The iPad, iPhone, iPod + Mac Show Report
- Report: AirPods delay due to problems with wireless audio synchronization
- Apple offering hands-on demos of Super Mario Run in stores
- Report: Apple pursuing studio agreements for early movie rentals
- Apple releases seventh beta of iOS 10.2 to developers
- Apple makes its picks for best iPhone, iPad and Apple TV apps of 2016
- Apple acknowledges Apple Music now includes ‘all the benefits of iTunes Match’
- Apple Music tops 20 million subscribers
- Apple blames ‘external factors’ for iPhone fires in China
- Rumor: 2017 iPhones won’t include glass chassis or wireless charging; will add red color
- Top Apple supplier Foxconn planning U.S. investment
- Elgato Eve Light Switch
- iHome iPLWBT5 Docking Clock Radio for iPhone and Apple Watch
- Brydge 12.9 iPad Pro Keyboard
- Sen.se GuardPeanut
- iHome iZBT10 Zenergy Bedside Sleep Therapy Speaker
- Twelve South HiRise Duet for Apple Watch and iPhone
- IK Multimedia iLoud Micro Monitor
- JBL Under Armour Sport Wireless Heart Rate Headphones
- Edifier e235 Luna E Speaker System
- Clamcase ClamCase+ for 9.7” iPad Pro
- Top Five: The Best Products for Building a Smart Home with HomeKit
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of watchOS 3
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of tvOS 10
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 10
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Photos gets Advanced Computer Vision
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Music app delivers ‘clarity and simplicity’
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Maps gets a major redesign
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 shakes up the user experience
- Inside the betas: watchOS 3 promises a real speed boost
- Inside the betas: A sneak peek at what’s new in tvOS 10