All Things iPod 5G (with video)
The original fifth-generation iPod (with video) was released in October, 2005 with two different storage capacities (30GB/60GB) and two different colors (white/black). For the first time, the lower capacity iPod also boasted lower battery life than the larger version. Apple then released the iPod U2 Special Edition (with video) in June, 2006, mirroring the 30GB model’s feature set while updating prior U2 iPod-specific cosmetic and pack-in customizations. Finally, in September 2006, Apple introduced the “enhanced” fifth-generation iPod in 30GB and 80GB capacities, with superior screen brightness, video battery performance, and capacity for the dollar; it is otherwise the same as its predecessors.
iPod (with video) Hardware Reviews
Enhanced Fifth-Generation iPod (with video, 30GB/80GB) Review (iLounge rating: A-): This is our comprehensive review of the September 2006-vintage enhanced fifth-generation iPod (with video), featuring information on the device, audio quality, battery life, new accessories, old compatible and incompatible accessories, and more.
Fifth-Generation iPod (with video) Review (iLounge rating: A-/B+): This is our comprehensive review of the original fifth-generation iPod (with video), featuring information on the device, audio quality, battery life, new accessories, old compatible and incompatible accessories, and more.
iPod U2 Special Edition Review (iLounge rating: B+): This is our comprehensive review of the iPod U2 Special Edition (with video), featuring information on the device, audio quality, battery life, new accessories, old compatible and incompatible accessories, and more.
It’s Showtime: the Photo Gallery: See firsthand the introduction of the enhanced 5G iPod at Apple’s “It’s Showtime” Event in San Francisco, California, September 12, 2006.
iPod 5G Unpack Photo Gallery: Check out our incredible iPod 5G photo gallery, including full shots of the box opening process, close-ups of the various components, and comparisons against other iPods.
iPod 5G Unveiled: the Photo Gallery: See firsthand the introduction of the original iPod 5G at Apple’s “One More Thing…” Event in San Jose, California, October, 2005.
iPod 5G Links of General Interest
Picking the Right iPod for You: Download iLounge’s 2007 iPod Buyers’ Guide for help in picking the best iPod for your personal needs and budget.
Check out iLounge’s Reviews section for the an up-to-date list of iPod 5G cases and accessories reviewed.
- Live From CE Week 2014: Brand New iPad, iPhone + Mac Accessories!
- iLounge’s 2014 CES Best of Show Awards: iPad, iPhone, iPod + Mac
- Ten Things You Didn’t Know About Apple’s 2013 iPad, Air + mini Lineup
- CE Week 2013: The iPad, iPhone, iPod + Mac Show Report
- iLounge’s 2013 CES Best of Show Awards: iPad, iPhone + iPod Gear
- Ten Things You Didn’t Know About Apple’s iPad mini + iPad (4th-Gen)
If you have a comment, news tip, advertising inquiry, or coverage request, a question about iPods/iPhones/iPad or accessories, or if you sell or market iPod/iPhone/iPad products or services, read iLounge's Comments + Questions policies before posting, and fully identify yourself if you do. We will delete comments containing advertising, astroturfing, trolling, personal attacks, offensive language, or other objectionable content, then ban and/or publicly identify violators.
- iLounge Weekly comes out Monday, subscribe now
- Verizon to allow users to opt out of web tracking ‘supercookies’
- Apple releases iTunes 12.1 update, adds Notification Center widget
- Chinese Government may require Apple to build ‘back door’ into iPhones
- Notes from Apple’s Q1 2015 earnings call
- Cook: Apple Watch shipping in April
- Apple Q1 2015: Record $74.6B revenue, 74.5M iPhones, 24.4M iPads
- Apple Pay support coming to more vending machines, kiosks, parking meters
- Apple releases iOS 8.1.3
- Apple TV adds 120 Sports channel
- RooCase ORB Tablet System
- Harman Kardon Soho Wireless Headphones
- Odoyo Power+Shell EX Rechargeable Battery Case for iPhone 6
- Patriot Memory Fuel iON Magnetic Charging Case with Charging Pad for iPhone 6
- Lenmar Maven Battery Case for iPhone 6
- STM Studio for iPad Air 2
- VSN Mobil V.360 Camera
- Booq Booqpad for iPad Air 2
- Incipio offGRID Express for iPhone 6
- Incipio Tuxen for iPad Air 2
- How do I turn off Reachability on the iPhone 6 Plus?
- How do I get a phone number on iMessage?
- Can I share in-app subscriptions among family members?
- Can I cancel or ‘unsend’ sent iMessages?
- Ten Things You Didn’t Know About Apple’s HomeKit
- Reorganizing files in the iTunes Media Folder
- Exchange text messages between two iPhones with no cellular data plan
- The Booths of the iProducts Marketplace at CES 2015
- Hands-on with CarPlay at CES 2015
- iLounge announces its CES 2015 Best of Show Awards