All Things iPod 5G (with video)
The original fifth-generation iPod (with video) was released in October, 2005 with two different storage capacities (30GB/60GB) and two different colors (white/black). For the first time, the lower capacity iPod also boasted lower battery life than the larger version. Apple then released the iPod U2 Special Edition (with video) in June, 2006, mirroring the 30GB model’s feature set while updating prior U2 iPod-specific cosmetic and pack-in customizations. Finally, in September 2006, Apple introduced the “enhanced” fifth-generation iPod in 30GB and 80GB capacities, with superior screen brightness, video battery performance, and capacity for the dollar; it is otherwise the same as its predecessors.
iPod (with video) Hardware Reviews
Enhanced Fifth-Generation iPod (with video, 30GB/80GB) Review (iLounge rating: A-): This is our comprehensive review of the September 2006-vintage enhanced fifth-generation iPod (with video), featuring information on the device, audio quality, battery life, new accessories, old compatible and incompatible accessories, and more.
Fifth-Generation iPod (with video) Review (iLounge rating: A-/B+): This is our comprehensive review of the original fifth-generation iPod (with video), featuring information on the device, audio quality, battery life, new accessories, old compatible and incompatible accessories, and more.
iPod U2 Special Edition Review (iLounge rating: B+): This is our comprehensive review of the iPod U2 Special Edition (with video), featuring information on the device, audio quality, battery life, new accessories, old compatible and incompatible accessories, and more.
It’s Showtime: the Photo Gallery: See firsthand the introduction of the enhanced 5G iPod at Apple’s “It’s Showtime” Event in San Francisco, California, September 12, 2006.
iPod 5G Unpack Photo Gallery: Check out our incredible iPod 5G photo gallery, including full shots of the box opening process, close-ups of the various components, and comparisons against other iPods.
iPod 5G Unveiled: the Photo Gallery: See firsthand the introduction of the original iPod 5G at Apple’s “One More Thing…” Event in San Jose, California, October, 2005.
iPod 5G Links of General Interest
Picking the Right iPod for You: Download iLounge’s 2007 iPod Buyers’ Guide for help in picking the best iPod for your personal needs and budget.
Check out iLounge’s Reviews section for the an up-to-date list of iPod 5G cases and accessories reviewed.
- Live From CE Week 2014: Brand New iPad, iPhone + Mac Accessories!
- iLounge’s 2014 CES Best of Show Awards: iPad, iPhone, iPod + Mac
- Ten Things You Didn’t Know About Apple’s 2013 iPad, Air + mini Lineup
- CE Week 2013: The iPad, iPhone, iPod + Mac Show Report
- iLounge’s 2013 CES Best of Show Awards: iPad, iPhone + iPod Gear
- Ten Things You Didn’t Know About Apple’s iPad mini + iPad (4th-Gen)
If you have a comment, news tip, advertising inquiry, or coverage request, a question about iPods/iPhones/iPad or accessories, or if you sell or market iPod/iPhone/iPad products or services, read iLounge's Comments + Questions policies before posting, and fully identify yourself if you do. We will delete comments containing advertising, astroturfing, trolling, personal attacks, offensive language, or other objectionable content, then ban and/or publicly identify violators.
- Cook ‘deeply offended’ by BBC allegations
- BBC investigative report claims Apple fails to protect Chinese workers
- Apple releases iOS 8.2 beta 3 to developers
- Tim Cook announces $20M raised for (PRODUCT)RED in internal e-mail
- Apple announces 64-bit and iOS 8 requirements for app updates
- Apple ordered to turn over records in Canadian iPhone antitrust probe
- Apple halts online sales in Russia
- Apple found not guilty in iPod, iTunes Store lock-in suit
- Apple Pay cards represent 90 percent of US credit purchase volume; Samsung readying rival service
- Apps of the Week: Microsoft’s MSN apps
- STM Dux for iPhone 6
- Kenu Stance Compact Tripod for iPhone
- SwitchEasy Boombox for iPhone 6
- STM Skinny Pro for iPad Air 2
- SwitchEasy Rave for iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus + Wrap for iPhone 6 Plus
- Dog & Bone Wetsuit for iPhone 6
- Belkin Qode Ultimate + Ultimate Pro Keyboard Cases for iPad Air 2
- Evollve Ozobot
- Skech Crystal for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus, Hard Rubber + Ice for iPhone 6
- Uniq Transforma for iPad Air 2
- Last-Minute Holiday Gift Guide for 2014
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iTunes 12
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 8.1
- An Easy Guide To Setting Up + Using Apple Pay In iOS 8.1
- Ten Things You Didn’t Know About iPad Air 2 + iPad mini 3
- Mind The Gap: What’s iPad’s Role In An iPhone 6 (Plus) World?
- Editorial: Why I Switched To T-Mobile (And You Might, Too)
- The Early Guide To Apple Watch Apps
- iLounge’s Top iPhone 6 + iPhone 6 Plus Case Picks (Fall 2014)
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 8.0