All Things iPod 5G (with video)
The original fifth-generation iPod (with video) was released in October, 2005 with two different storage capacities (30GB/60GB) and two different colors (white/black). For the first time, the lower capacity iPod also boasted lower battery life than the larger version. Apple then released the iPod U2 Special Edition (with video) in June, 2006, mirroring the 30GB model’s feature set while updating prior U2 iPod-specific cosmetic and pack-in customizations. Finally, in September 2006, Apple introduced the “enhanced” fifth-generation iPod in 30GB and 80GB capacities, with superior screen brightness, video battery performance, and capacity for the dollar; it is otherwise the same as its predecessors.
iPod (with video) Hardware Reviews
Enhanced Fifth-Generation iPod (with video, 30GB/80GB) Review (iLounge rating: A-): This is our comprehensive review of the September 2006-vintage enhanced fifth-generation iPod (with video), featuring information on the device, audio quality, battery life, new accessories, old compatible and incompatible accessories, and more.
Fifth-Generation iPod (with video) Review (iLounge rating: A-/B+): This is our comprehensive review of the original fifth-generation iPod (with video), featuring information on the device, audio quality, battery life, new accessories, old compatible and incompatible accessories, and more.
iPod U2 Special Edition Review (iLounge rating: B+): This is our comprehensive review of the iPod U2 Special Edition (with video), featuring information on the device, audio quality, battery life, new accessories, old compatible and incompatible accessories, and more.
It’s Showtime: the Photo Gallery: See firsthand the introduction of the enhanced 5G iPod at Apple’s “It’s Showtime” Event in San Francisco, California, September 12, 2006.
iPod 5G Unpack Photo Gallery: Check out our incredible iPod 5G photo gallery, including full shots of the box opening process, close-ups of the various components, and comparisons against other iPods.
iPod 5G Unveiled: the Photo Gallery: See firsthand the introduction of the original iPod 5G at Apple’s “One More Thing…” Event in San Jose, California, October, 2005.
iPod 5G Links of General Interest
Picking the Right iPod for You: Download iLounge’s 2007 iPod Buyers’ Guide for help in picking the best iPod for your personal needs and budget.
Check out iLounge’s Reviews section for the an up-to-date list of iPod 5G cases and accessories reviewed.
- CE Week 2015: IK Multimedia, Monowear’s Apple Watch bands + More
- Live From CE Week 2015: Brand New iPad, iPhone + Mac Accessories!
- Live From CE Week 2014: Brand New iPad, iPhone + Mac Accessories!
- iLounge’s 2014 CES Best of Show Awards: iPad, iPhone, iPod + Mac
- Ten Things You Didn’t Know About Apple’s 2013 iPad, Air + mini Lineup
- CE Week 2013: The iPad, iPhone, iPod + Mac Show Report
- Incipio to acquire Skullcandy
- Apple confirms iOS 10 kernel was left open to improve performance
- Apple leaves iOS 10 kernel open to scrutiny
- Judge throws out ‘Error 53’ lawsuit against Apple
- Chinese company in iPhone patent fight is all but defunct
- Apple adds nine more apps to universal search in Apple TV
- WSJ: iPhone to see modest changes this year, eliminate headphone jack
- China tightening restrictions on mobile games starting next month
- Supreme Court patent ruling bodes well for future Apple cases
- Apple to pay $400M to consumers over e-book price fixing case
- Zagg Slim Book for 9.7” iPad Pro
- Element Case Ronin for iPhone 6/6s
- JBL Clip 2 Wireless Bluetooth Speaker
- Audio-Technica ATH-SR5BT Wireless On-Ear Headphones
- Catalyst Case for iPad mini 4
- Jaybird Freedom Wireless Bluetooth Headphones
- Zagg Flex Arc Wireless Earbuds + Speakers
- Audio-Technica ATH-MSR7NC SonicPro Headphones with Active Noise Cancellation
- Twelve South BookBook for 12.9” iPad Pro
- Spigen Rugged Armor, Style Armor + Wallet S for iPhone SE
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Photos gets Advanced Computer Vision
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Music app delivers ‘clarity and simplicity’
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Maps gets a major redesign
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 shakes up the user experience
- Inside the betas: watchOS 3 promises a real speed boost
- Inside the betas: A sneak peek at what’s new in tvOS 10
- Filling the Gap: A look at third-party HomeKit apps
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of tvOS 9.2
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 9.3
- Opinion: Why Apple needs a dedicated HomeKit app