All Things iPod classic
The iPod classic was released in September, 2007 as a renamed follow-up to Apple’s full-sized series of hard disk-based iPods, previously known as first- through fifth-generation iPods. iPod classic launched with two different storage capacities (80GB/160GB) and two different colors (silver/black), with the lower capacity iPod also possessing lower battery life than the larger version. Though based substantially on the prior year’s enhanced fifth-generation iPod, the iPod classic includes a new split-screen user interface, a superior audio chip, and dramatically better battery life, all at aggressive prices of $249 and $349.
iPod classic Review and Supplemental Materials
iPod classic (80GB/160GB) Review (iLounge rating: B+): This is our comprehensive review of the iPod classic, featuring information on the device, audio quality, battery life, compatible and incompatible accessories, and more.
The Beat Goes On: the Photo Gallery: See firsthand the introduction of the iPod classic in San Francisco, California, September, 2007, alongside the new third-generation iPod nano and iPod touch.
iPod classic Diagnostic Mode Photo Gallery: See pictures of iPod classic’s hidden diagnostic mode here.
iPod classic Unpack Photo Gallery: Check out our iPod classic and iPod nano unpacking photo gallery, including full shots of the box opening process, close-ups of the various components, and comparisons against other iPods.
iPod classic Links of General Interest
Picking the Right iPod for You: Download iLounge’s 2008 iPod + iPhone Buyers’ Guide for help in picking the best iPod for your personal needs and budget.
Check out iLounge’s Reviews section for the an up-to-date list of iPod classic cases and accessories reviewed.
- CE Week 2015: IK Multimedia, Monowear’s Apple Watch bands + More
- Live From CE Week 2015: Brand New iPad, iPhone + Mac Accessories!
- Live From CE Week 2014: Brand New iPad, iPhone + Mac Accessories!
- iLounge’s 2014 CES Best of Show Awards: iPad, iPhone, iPod + Mac
- Ten Things You Didn’t Know About Apple’s 2013 iPad, Air + mini Lineup
- CE Week 2013: The iPad, iPhone, iPod + Mac Show Report
- Apple TV App Store now removes installed apps from Top Charts
- Apple to push ‘new’ iPhone cycle from two to three years?
- Apple sued by Caltech over Wi-Fi patents
- Report: Developers losing interest in making watchOS apps
- Source: New AI set to give Siri a massive improvement
- India officially rejects Apple’s bid to sell used iPhones
- Apple’s new ‘Echo rival’ may feature a camera
- Apple ‘working rapidly’ to extend Apple Pay to more countries
- Report: Apple’s Siri-based Amazon Echo competitor will be a new Apple TV
- Report: Apple SVP Eddy Cue proposed bid to buy Time Warner
- Spigen Rugged Armor, Style Armor + Wallet S for iPhone SE
- OtterBox Symmetry Series Hybrid Case for 12.9” iPad Pro
- Logitech Logi BASE Charging Stand for iPad Pro
- Twelve South TimePorter for Apple Watch
- August Doorbell Cam
- August Smart Lock HomeKit enabled + Smart Keypad
- ecobee3 HomeKit-enabled smart Wi-Fi thermostat
- Zagg Now Cam
- Yantouch EyE Portable Wireless Speaker
- Netatmo Wind Gauge
- Filling the Gap: A look at third-party HomeKit apps
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of tvOS 9.2
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 9.3
- Opinion: Why Apple needs a dedicated HomeKit app
- Inside the betas: What’s new in iOS 9.3 and tvOS 9.2 (Updated)
- Life with HomeKit: Our experiences with Apple’s home automation system
- Under the Radar: 10 ‘hidden’ details about the new Apple TV
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 9.0
- Under the Radar: A closer look at smaller iPhone 6s and iPhone 6s Plus changes
- A First Look at iOS 9’s Transit in Apple Maps (Updated for watchOS 2)