All Things iPod nano
The iPod nano was released in September, 2005 with two different storage capacities (2GB/4GB) and two different colors (white/black). In early February, 2006, Apple released a lower-capacity (1GB) version in the same two colors. Next, in September, 2006, Apple introduced the “second-generation iPod nano” - an aluminum-bodied version with higher capacities, in five colors, while a sixth color was introduced in October. Most recently, in September, 2007, Apple released the third-generation iPod nano, a video- and downloadable game-ready version, in five colors, with a sixth color released in January, 2008.
Third-Generation iPod nano - 4GB/8GB
iPod nano (Third-Generation, 4GB/8GB) Review (iLounge rating: A): Also known as iPod nano (video), the third-generation iPod nano was released in September 2007 in five colors, including new versions of black, blue, red, green, and silver, then augmented in late January 2008 with a sixth color, pink. This version of the iPod nano is the first to be able to play back purchased or rented iTunes Store video content, as well as purchased iPod games. Our comprehensive review discusses all of the nano’s new features and characteristics.
iPod nano (Third-Generation) Interface Video: See the new split-screen interface of the third-generation iPod nano in action.
iPod nano Diagnostic Mode Photo Gallery: See pictures of iPod nano’s hidden diagnostic mode here.
iPod nano Unpack Photo Gallery: Check out our iPod nano and iPod classic unpacking photo gallery, including full shots of the box opening process, close-ups of the various components, and comparisons against other iPods.
The Beat Goes On: the Photo Gallery: See the introduction of the third-generation iPod nano, as well as the iPod classic and iPod touch, as shown in this photo gallery from the launch event.
Second-Generation iPod nano - 2GB/4GB/8GB
iPod nano (Second-Generation, 2GB/4GB/8GB) Review (iLounge rating: A-): Updated in October and November 2006 with additional details and photographs on the (PRODUCT) RED iPod nano, this is our comprehensive review of the second-generation iPod nano, featuring information on the device, audio quality, battery life, new accessories, old compatible and incompatible accessories, and more.
It’s Showtime: the Photo Gallery: See firsthand the introduction of the second-generation iPod nano at Apple’s Special Event in San Francisco, California, September 12, 2006.
iPod nano Disassembly Gallery: Check out these pictures of the innards of the second-generation iPod nano.
First-Generation iPod nano - 1GB/2GB/4GB
iPod nano (1GB/2GB/4GB) Review (iLounge rating: A-/B+): Updated in February 2006 with additional details and photographs, this is our comprehensive review of the iPod nano, featuring information on the device, audio quality, battery life, new accessories, old compatible and incompatible accessories, and more.
iPod nano Unpack Photo Gallery: Check out our incredible iPod nano photo gallery, including full shots of the box opening process, close-ups of the various components, and comparisons against other iPods.
Super First Look: iPod nano: Published shortly after the iPod nano’s introduction, this First Look features additional photographs not found in the final review.
iPod nano Unveiled: the Photo Gallery: See firsthand the introduction of the iPod nano at Apple’s Special Event in San Francisco, California, September, 2005.
iPod nano Links of General Interest
Picking the Right iPod for You: Download iLounge’s 2008 iPod + iPhone Buyers’ Guide for help in picking the best iPod for your personal needs and budget.
Check the Reviews section for the an up-to-date list of iPod nano cases and accessories reviewed.
This article was originally posted on September 10, 2005 and was most recently updated on February 15, 2008.
- iLounge’s 2013 CES Best of Show Awards: iPad, iPhone + iPod Gear
- Ten Things You Didn’t Know About Apple’s iPad mini + iPad (4th-Gen)
- Ten Details You Didn’t Know About iPhone 5 + The 2012 iPods
- What’s New In iOS 6: iPad, iPhone + iPod touch Screenshots
- CEA Line Shows: The iPod / iPhone / iPad / Mac Show Report (Updated)
- New in iOS 5: The Full Breakdown With Screenshots
If you have a comment, news tip, advertising inquiry, or coverage request, a question about iPods/iPhones/iPad or accessories, or if you sell or market iPod/iPhone/iPad products or services, read iLounge's Comments + Questions policies before posting, and fully identify yourself if you do. We will delete comments containing advertising, astroturfing, trolling, personal attacks, offensive language, or other objectionable content, then ban and/or publicly identify violators.
- Apple WWDC Keynote set for June 10
- Apps: Foursquare 6.2, Hyper Breaker Turbo, Pandora 4.3 + Shazam 6.0
- Apple patent application details interactive AirPlay, TV
- Report: iWatch pushed to late 2014?
- Griffin releases iPhone 5 Survivor + Catalyst Waterproof Case
- OtterBox acquires LifeProof
- LifeProof debuts Frē case for iPad mini
- Logitech debuts Wired Keyboard for iPad
- New Apple online store design alters focus, hides deals
- Apps: ABC Aquarium, Disney Jr. Appisodes, Pinterest 2.4 + Pocket Informant Pro 3.0
- C4 Electronics Dolry HiFi Stone 30-Pin AirPlay Adapter
- Boombotix Boombot Rex Bluetooth Wireless Speaker
- Nuu Splash Portable Waterproof Bluetooth Wireless Speaker
- Scosche boomBottle Weatherproof Sport Wireless Speaker
- HMDX Jam Plus Bluetooth Wireless Speaker
- Fitbit Flex Wireless Activity & Sleep Wristband
- Cambridge Audio Minx Air 100 + 200 Bluetooth + AirPlay Wireless Speakers
- Mophie Juice Pack Plus for iPhone 5
- Ultimate Ears UE Boom
- Trü Protection Trü-Fit Anti-Glare Film Set
- iMessages showing as Delivered when iPhone is out of coverage
- Inability to use Find My Friends without a passcode
- Calendar info disappears after iCloud restore
- Remove old iCloud backup after restoring to a new iPhone
- Setting up a ringtone in iTunes
- Using a Wi-Fi hard drive with an iPad
- Backing up and restoring an iPod classic
- Can’t restore iPod touch without passcode
- Retaining older versions of Apps during an iOS Restore
- Can’t eject iPod nano without closing Firefox