All Things iPod nano
The iPod nano was released in September, 2005 with two different storage capacities (2GB/4GB) and two different colors (white/black). In early February, 2006, Apple released a lower-capacity (1GB) version in the same two colors. Next, in September, 2006, Apple introduced the “second-generation iPod nano” - an aluminum-bodied version with higher capacities, in five colors, while a sixth color was introduced in October. Most recently, in September, 2007, Apple released the third-generation iPod nano, a video- and downloadable game-ready version, in five colors, with a sixth color released in January, 2008.
Third-Generation iPod nano - 4GB/8GB
iPod nano (Third-Generation, 4GB/8GB) Review (iLounge rating: A): Also known as iPod nano (video), the third-generation iPod nano was released in September 2007 in five colors, including new versions of black, blue, red, green, and silver, then augmented in late January 2008 with a sixth color, pink. This version of the iPod nano is the first to be able to play back purchased or rented iTunes Store video content, as well as purchased iPod games. Our comprehensive review discusses all of the nano’s new features and characteristics.
iPod nano (Third-Generation) Interface Video: See the new split-screen interface of the third-generation iPod nano in action.
iPod nano Diagnostic Mode Photo Gallery: See pictures of iPod nano’s hidden diagnostic mode here.
iPod nano Unpack Photo Gallery: Check out our iPod nano and iPod classic unpacking photo gallery, including full shots of the box opening process, close-ups of the various components, and comparisons against other iPods.
The Beat Goes On: the Photo Gallery: See the introduction of the third-generation iPod nano, as well as the iPod classic and iPod touch, as shown in this photo gallery from the launch event.
Second-Generation iPod nano - 2GB/4GB/8GB
iPod nano (Second-Generation, 2GB/4GB/8GB) Review (iLounge rating: A-): Updated in October and November 2006 with additional details and photographs on the (PRODUCT) RED iPod nano, this is our comprehensive review of the second-generation iPod nano, featuring information on the device, audio quality, battery life, new accessories, old compatible and incompatible accessories, and more.
It’s Showtime: the Photo Gallery: See firsthand the introduction of the second-generation iPod nano at Apple’s Special Event in San Francisco, California, September 12, 2006.
iPod nano Disassembly Gallery: Check out these pictures of the innards of the second-generation iPod nano.
First-Generation iPod nano - 1GB/2GB/4GB
iPod nano (1GB/2GB/4GB) Review (iLounge rating: A-/B+): Updated in February 2006 with additional details and photographs, this is our comprehensive review of the iPod nano, featuring information on the device, audio quality, battery life, new accessories, old compatible and incompatible accessories, and more.
iPod nano Unpack Photo Gallery: Check out our incredible iPod nano photo gallery, including full shots of the box opening process, close-ups of the various components, and comparisons against other iPods.
Super First Look: iPod nano: Published shortly after the iPod nano’s introduction, this First Look features additional photographs not found in the final review.
iPod nano Unveiled: the Photo Gallery: See firsthand the introduction of the iPod nano at Apple’s Special Event in San Francisco, California, September, 2005.
iPod nano Links of General Interest
Picking the Right iPod for You: Download iLounge’s 2008 iPod + iPhone Buyers’ Guide for help in picking the best iPod for your personal needs and budget.
Check the Reviews section for the an up-to-date list of iPod nano cases and accessories reviewed.
This article was originally posted on September 10, 2005 and was most recently updated on February 15, 2008.
- CE Week 2015: IK Multimedia, Monowear’s Apple Watch bands + More
- Live From CE Week 2015: Brand New iPad, iPhone + Mac Accessories!
- Live From CE Week 2014: Brand New iPad, iPhone + Mac Accessories!
- iLounge’s 2014 CES Best of Show Awards: iPad, iPhone, iPod + Mac
- Ten Things You Didn’t Know About Apple’s 2013 iPad, Air + mini Lineup
- CE Week 2013: The iPad, iPhone, iPod + Mac Show Report
- Report: AirPods delay due to problems with wireless audio synchronization
- Apple offering hands-on demos of Super Mario Run in stores
- Report: Apple pursuing studio agreements for early movie rentals
- Apple releases seventh beta of iOS 10.2 to developers
- Apple makes its picks for best iPhone, iPad and Apple TV apps of 2016
- Apple acknowledges Apple Music now includes ‘all the benefits of iTunes Match’
- Apple Music tops 20 million subscribers
- Apple blames ‘external factors’ for iPhone fires in China
- Rumor: 2017 iPhones won’t include glass chassis or wireless charging; will add red color
- Top Apple supplier Foxconn planning U.S. investment
- Elgato Eve Light Switch
- iHome iPLWBT5 Docking Clock Radio for iPhone and Apple Watch
- Brydge 12.9 iPad Pro Keyboard
- Sen.se GuardPeanut
- iHome iZBT10 Zenergy Bedside Sleep Therapy Speaker
- Twelve South HiRise Duet for Apple Watch and iPhone
- IK Multimedia iLoud Micro Monitor
- JBL Under Armour Sport Wireless Heart Rate Headphones
- Edifier e235 Luna E Speaker System
- Clamcase ClamCase+ for 9.7” iPad Pro
- Top Five: The Best Products for Building a Smart Home with HomeKit
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of watchOS 3
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of tvOS 10
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 10
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Photos gets Advanced Computer Vision
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Music app delivers ‘clarity and simplicity’
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Maps gets a major redesign
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 shakes up the user experience
- Inside the betas: watchOS 3 promises a real speed boost
- Inside the betas: A sneak peek at what’s new in tvOS 10