All Things iPod nano
The iPod nano was released in September, 2005 with two different storage capacities (2GB/4GB) and two different colors (white/black). In early February, 2006, Apple released a lower-capacity (1GB) version in the same two colors. Next, in September, 2006, Apple introduced the “second-generation iPod nano” - an aluminum-bodied version with higher capacities, in five colors, while a sixth color was introduced in October. Most recently, in September, 2007, Apple released the third-generation iPod nano, a video- and downloadable game-ready version, in five colors, with a sixth color released in January, 2008.
Third-Generation iPod nano - 4GB/8GB
iPod nano (Third-Generation, 4GB/8GB) Review (iLounge rating: A): Also known as iPod nano (video), the third-generation iPod nano was released in September 2007 in five colors, including new versions of black, blue, red, green, and silver, then augmented in late January 2008 with a sixth color, pink. This version of the iPod nano is the first to be able to play back purchased or rented iTunes Store video content, as well as purchased iPod games. Our comprehensive review discusses all of the nano’s new features and characteristics.
iPod nano (Third-Generation) Interface Video: See the new split-screen interface of the third-generation iPod nano in action.
iPod nano Diagnostic Mode Photo Gallery: See pictures of iPod nano’s hidden diagnostic mode here.
iPod nano Unpack Photo Gallery: Check out our iPod nano and iPod classic unpacking photo gallery, including full shots of the box opening process, close-ups of the various components, and comparisons against other iPods.
The Beat Goes On: the Photo Gallery: See the introduction of the third-generation iPod nano, as well as the iPod classic and iPod touch, as shown in this photo gallery from the launch event.
Second-Generation iPod nano - 2GB/4GB/8GB
iPod nano (Second-Generation, 2GB/4GB/8GB) Review (iLounge rating: A-): Updated in October and November 2006 with additional details and photographs on the (PRODUCT) RED iPod nano, this is our comprehensive review of the second-generation iPod nano, featuring information on the device, audio quality, battery life, new accessories, old compatible and incompatible accessories, and more.
It’s Showtime: the Photo Gallery: See firsthand the introduction of the second-generation iPod nano at Apple’s Special Event in San Francisco, California, September 12, 2006.
iPod nano Disassembly Gallery: Check out these pictures of the innards of the second-generation iPod nano.
First-Generation iPod nano - 1GB/2GB/4GB
iPod nano (1GB/2GB/4GB) Review (iLounge rating: A-/B+): Updated in February 2006 with additional details and photographs, this is our comprehensive review of the iPod nano, featuring information on the device, audio quality, battery life, new accessories, old compatible and incompatible accessories, and more.
iPod nano Unpack Photo Gallery: Check out our incredible iPod nano photo gallery, including full shots of the box opening process, close-ups of the various components, and comparisons against other iPods.
Super First Look: iPod nano: Published shortly after the iPod nano’s introduction, this First Look features additional photographs not found in the final review.
iPod nano Unveiled: the Photo Gallery: See firsthand the introduction of the iPod nano at Apple’s Special Event in San Francisco, California, September, 2005.
iPod nano Links of General Interest
Picking the Right iPod for You: Download iLounge’s 2008 iPod + iPhone Buyers’ Guide for help in picking the best iPod for your personal needs and budget.
Check the Reviews section for the an up-to-date list of iPod nano cases and accessories reviewed.
This article was originally posted on September 10, 2005 and was most recently updated on February 15, 2008.
- CE Week 2015: IK Multimedia, Monowear’s Apple Watch bands + More
- Live From CE Week 2015: Brand New iPad, iPhone + Mac Accessories!
- Live From CE Week 2014: Brand New iPad, iPhone + Mac Accessories!
- iLounge’s 2014 CES Best of Show Awards: iPad, iPhone, iPod + Mac
- Ten Things You Didn’t Know About Apple’s 2013 iPad, Air + mini Lineup
- CE Week 2013: The iPad, iPhone, iPod + Mac Show Report
- Apple’s new ‘Echo rival’ may feature a camera
- Apple ‘working rapidly’ to extend Apple Pay to more countries
- Report: Apple’s Siri-based Amazon Echo competitor will be a new Apple TV
- Report: Apple SVP Eddy Cue proposed bid to buy Time Warner
- Beta testing for Pokémon GO begins in the U.S.
- Apple’s plan to open stores in India hits a snag (Update: India’s finance minister ratifies ruling)
- Apple looking into charging stations for electric cars
- Apple hires hint at improvements in encryption, health monitoring
- Hyundai adds CarPlay support to more vehicles
- Plaintiffs file new motion to keep ‘Error 53’ Touch ID lawsuit alive
- OtterBox Symmetry Series Hybrid Case for 12.9” iPad Pro
- Logitech Logi BASE Charging Stand for iPad Pro
- Twelve South TimePorter for Apple Watch
- August Doorbell Cam
- August Smart Lock HomeKit enabled + Smart Keypad
- ecobee3 HomeKit-enabled smart Wi-Fi thermostat
- Zagg Now Cam
- Yantouch EyE Portable Wireless Speaker
- Netatmo Wind Gauge
- Incipio Stashback for iPhone 6/6s
- Filling the Gap: A look at third-party HomeKit apps
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of tvOS 9.2
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 9.3
- Opinion: Why Apple needs a dedicated HomeKit app
- Inside the betas: What’s new in iOS 9.3 and tvOS 9.2 (Updated)
- Life with HomeKit: Our experiences with Apple’s home automation system
- Under the Radar: 10 ‘hidden’ details about the new Apple TV
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 9.0
- Under the Radar: A closer look at smaller iPhone 6s and iPhone 6s Plus changes
- A First Look at iOS 9’s Transit in Apple Maps (Updated for watchOS 2)