All Things iPod shuffle
The first iPod shuffle was released in January, 2005 with two different storage capacities (512MB/1GB). After several price drops and widespread speculation that Apple would discontinue the shuffle entirely in favor of the iPod nano, the company announced a physically smaller, 1GB version in September, 2006, releasing the “second-generation iPod shuffle” in November. The new shuffle included an integrated rear clip, and was made substantially from aluminum, unlike its all-plastic predecessor. It continues to be Apple’s least expensive iPod-branded offering. On January 30, 2007, Apple updated the second-generation shuffle with four new colors - pink, blue, green, and orange - the first three matching the colors of previously-released iPod nanos, the fourth entirely new to the iPod family.
Second-Generation iPod shuffle (1GB)
iPod shuffle (Second-Generation, 1GB) Review (iLounge rating: B+): Smaller than any prior iPod, the new iPod shuffle is a pretty good option for especially budget- and size-conscious users; our comprehensive review looks at all of its pros and cons.
iPod shuffle 2G Photo Gallery: Check out our incredible iPod shuffle 2G photo gallery, including full shots of the box opening process, close-ups of the various components, and comparisons against other iPods.
iPod shuffle 2G Colors Photo Gallery: Our new iPod shuffle 2G Colors gallery shows off unpacking photos of the early 2007 iPod shuffle, in five colors: silver, green, pink, blue, and all-new orange.
Picking the Right iPod for You: Download iLounge’s incredible free 2007 iPod Buyers’ Guide for a complete guide to picking the best iPod for your personal needs and budget.
It’s Showtime: The Photo Gallery: See photos of the September 12, 2006 event where the second-generation iPod shuffle was unveiled to the world.
Apple’s Official Second-Generation iPod Shuffle Accessories, reviewed:
Third-Party iPod shuffle Cases and Accessories, reviewed:
Check our Reviews section for the an up-to-date list of iPod shuffle cases and accessories reviewed. Notable options include Power Support’s highly protective Silicone Jacket, Griffin Technology’s Dock Adapter for iPod shuffle, and Incipio’s portable IncipioBud USB charger.
First-Generation iPod shuffle (512MB/1GB)
iPod shuffle Photo Gallery: Check out our incredible iPod shuffle photo gallery, including full shots of the box opening process, close-ups of the various components, and comparisons against other iPods.
iPod shuffle New Users’ Review (iLounge rating: A-): See why the iPod shuffle is an excellent way for budget-conscious new users to join the iPod family.
iPod shuffle Power Users’ Review (iLounge rating: B): Learn why users with greater demands may prefer other, more expensive iPods to the iPod shuffle, and get more details on the shuffle’s early marketing and third-party accessories.
Picking the Right iPod for You: Download iLounge’s incredible free 2005 Buyers’ Guide for a complete guide to picking the best iPod for your personal needs and budget.
iPod 101 - The Complete Guide to the iPod shuffle: A picture-filled beginner’s tutorial to using and enjoying the music and data features of your new iPod shuffle.
Apple’s Official First-Generation iPod Shuffle Accessories, reviewed:
iPod shuffle Armband (iLounge rating: B+)
iPod shuffle Battery Pack (iLounge rating: A-)
iPod shuffle Dock (iLounge rating: B)
iPod shuffle Sport Case (iLounge rating: A)
iPod shuffle USB Adapter (iLounge rating: B)
Third-Party iPod shuffle Cases, reviewed:
Check the Reviews section for the an up-to-date list of iPod shuffle cases and accessories reviewed.
- Live From CE Week 2014: Brand New iPad, iPhone + Mac Accessories!
- iLounge’s 2014 CES Best of Show Awards: iPad, iPhone, iPod + Mac
- Ten Things You Didn’t Know About Apple’s 2013 iPad, Air + mini Lineup
- CE Week 2013: The iPad, iPhone, iPod + Mac Show Report
- iLounge’s 2013 CES Best of Show Awards: iPad, iPhone + iPod Gear
- Ten Things You Didn’t Know About Apple’s iPad mini + iPad (4th-Gen)
If you have a comment, news tip, advertising inquiry, or coverage request, a question about iPods/iPhones/iPad or accessories, or if you sell or market iPod/iPhone/iPad products or services, read iLounge's Comments + Questions policies before posting, and fully identify yourself if you do. We will delete comments containing advertising, astroturfing, trolling, personal attacks, offensive language, or other objectionable content, then ban and/or publicly identify violators.
- Apple filing reveals executive compensation plans, earnings
- Report: Apple Watch battery life expected to be about 19 hours
- Apple outlines limited HomeKit support for non-HomeKit accessories
- Report: Apple agrees to accept product inspections from Chinese government
- IK Multimedia announces iRig Mic Studio
- NimbleBit announces Apple Watch support for Letterpad
- Apple acquires music analytics firm Semetric
- Apple terminates Crimean developer agreements due to U.S. sanctions
- Apple commemorates Martin Luther King Jr. Day
- iLounge Weekly coming Monday, sign up now
- Lenmar Maven Battery Case for iPhone 6
- STM Studio for iPad Air 2
- VSN Mobil V.360 Camera
- Booq Booqpad for iPad Air 2
- Incipio offGRID Express for iPhone 6
- Incipio Tuxen for iPad Air 2
- Incipio Trestle for iPhone 6 Plus
- Urban Armor Gear Folio Case for iPad Air 2
- ZeroChroma Folio-Slide for iPad Air 2
- Twelve South BookBook for iPhone 6 Plus
- Can I cancel or ‘unsend’ sent iMessages?
- Ten Things You Didn’t Know About Apple’s HomeKit
- Reorganizing files in the iTunes Media Folder
- Exchange text messages between two iPhones with no cellular data plan
- The Booths of the iProducts Marketplace at CES 2015
- Hands-on with CarPlay at CES 2015
- iLounge announces its CES 2015 Best of Show Awards
- Five Things to Watch for at CES 2015
- Last-Minute Holiday Gift Guide for 2014
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iTunes 12