Apple remote/earphones retail pack | iLounge Article

Article

Apple remote/earphones retail pack

By Kirk McElhearn

Contributing Editor
Published: Thursday, May 12, 2005
Articles Categories: Ask iLounge, Accessories

Ask iLounge offers readers the opportunity to get answers to their iPod-, iPhone-, iPad-, iTunes-, or Apple TV-related questions from a member of the iLounge editorial team. We'll answer several questions here each week, and of course, you can always get help with more immediate concerns from the iLounge Discussion Forums. Submit your questions for consideration using our Ask iLounge Submit Form. We reserve the right to edit questions for grammar, spelling, and length.

View the complete Ask iLounge archives...

Q: I recently noticed that Apple has started selling its iPod remote packaged with a pair of earphones for $39. Is this the same remote that used to be packaged with the 3G iPod? Are these just normal iPod earphones? If no, then what are the differences?

- Isral

A: Apple’s actually been doing this for years - and yes, it is the same remote and the same earphones, so if you want the remote, you can no longer buy it on its own. However, it’s not a bad idea to have an extra set of earphones in case something happens to yours.

Kirk McElhearn is the author of several books including iPod & iTunes Garage. His blog, Kirkville features articles about the iPod, iTunes, Mac OS X and much more.

The most asked question at iLounge.com:

How do I copy content from my iPod/iPhone onto my computer?

Converting DVDs, web video, TV shows and more:

The Complete Guide to iPod, Apple TV and iPhone Video Formats

Converting DVDs, web video, TV shows and more:

The Complete Guide to iPod, iPhone and Apple TV Video Conversion (Mac)

Converting DVDs, web video, TV shows and more:

The Complete Guide to iPod, iPhone and Apple TV Video Conversion (Win)

Best Speakers?

Best Headphones?

Best Case?

Best In-Car Solution?

Best Battery Extender?

Find more answers in the latest publications in our Library. Free downloads developed by the editors of iLounge!

Ask iLounge Archives:

1-24-14: Viewing only downloaded iTunes Match tracks

1-22-14: Splitting purchased content between two iPads

12-13-13: Non-Bluetooth Lightning dock speakers

12-11-13: Shared Apple ID and switching away from iPhone

12-6-13: Syncing multiple iCloud data with a family Mac

Read more recent Ask iLounge articles...

View the complete Ask iLounge archives...

« Using an UK iPod in the US

Orange light on shuffle blinks »

Comments

How do I copy music from my library (on my pc) to other ipods? Specifically just a few playlists?

Posted by sistersomeone2002@yahoo.com on May 13, 2005 at 7:13 PM (PDT)

i have a pc and i just bought a mac and want to know how to reformat my ipod and get my songs off it and onto the new computer.

Posted by lunakittay on May 14, 2005 at 9:12 AM (PDT)

I like shuffling the songs in my playlists (usually about 80 songs per list), but this greatly cuts down on my battery life.  Is there a way to shuffle the songs through iTunes before loading the playlist to my iPod?

Posted by DeanDTSM on May 14, 2005 at 1:37 PM (PDT)

can i use windows midia player to put songs on my ipod mini

Posted by amy05 on May 14, 2005 at 3:10 PM (PDT)

The music I have in my ipod is in different computer than what I am using now.My old computer crashed.What can I do to keep my old music on ipod and put more music from my new compute?

Tnx

Posted by quiddin on May 14, 2005 at 7:25 PM (PDT)

i have songs on my iPod which are stored in the iTunes on my comp too. sadly, a load of songs were deleted off my iTunes and now if i plug my iPod in to update it, the songs will delete, how can i prevent this from happening but also put newer songs onto my iPod?  thanx

Posted by Lauren_Ayres on May 15, 2005 at 8:34 AM (PDT)

how can i transfer my phone numbers onto my ipod

Posted by mbl on May 16, 2005 at 7:06 AM (PDT)

All you guys who have music on an iPod but not on your computer for whatever reason, go to the top of this page and look at “The most asked question…” The link will give you a nice tutorial - essentially you will need to download one of the many pieces of third-party software which will rip the music from your iPod and stick it on your computer’s hard drive.

mbi:  If you’re using a Mac, use iSync. I don’t know about PC’s.

amy05:  No!

lunakittay:  Congratulations on the Mac! You needn’t reformat your iPod - units formatted on PC’s will work on Macs but not vice-versa. Go to the link at the top of the page to find out how to get your music off the iPod and onto your Mac. Once this is accomplished, you’ll have a nice new library in iTunes on the Mac and you could reformat the iPod then if you really wanted to before letting iTunes resync the library.

sistersomeone:  Assuming you won’t be illegally copying music, I would advise you to have a look at the link mentioned already - there is software available which enables a computer to browse and rip music from a connected iPod.
Otherwise you could enable the iPod as a disc (through iPod options in iTunes). Then find the individual tracks on your computer as files (i.e. not through iTunes) you can copy these to the iPod as you would copy any file to any removable storage device (drag and drop). When you get to the other computer, plug in the iPod and explore it as a drive - just drag the stored files off the iPod onto the new computer and the copying is complete. Usually you just need to play the track through iTunes and it will be copied into the iTunes library.
This is the exact same way I use to carry my work files (Word, Powerpoint etc.) around on my iPod and utilises the iPod in just the same way as any other portable disc drive. Remember - don’t illegally copy music!

Posted by alfa1996 in UK on May 16, 2005 at 8:21 AM (PDT)

Does anyone know where I can get a UK adapter that fits an On Stage JBL unit?

Posted by joedmiles on May 16, 2005 at 11:40 AM (PDT)

I had a recent hard drive fry on my previous computer. During this chaos I lost all of my music that was on the computer. Luckily it is all on the I pod. Now, how do I remove music from my ipod and install it on my computer. I have spent a while doing this but I cant figure it out. I appreciate it.

Posted by confusedipodder on May 16, 2005 at 3:26 PM (PDT)

A friend of mine put all my music on to my ipod from his PC, and now I have a mac computer and want to put the music from my ipod on my itunes library. Is this possible without losing everything? I believe all will be deleted? I’d love to avoid this if there’s any way?
Thank you!!!!

Posted by rioviper on May 16, 2005 at 4:04 PM (PDT)

I recently bought a cd (Van Zant) on the Sony/Nashville label and wanted to download on to my i-pod and could not make this happen.  Has Sony come out with software that prevents the downloading of their music?  If so, is there anyway around this?

Thanks

Posted by findthesun on May 17, 2005 at 7:22 AM (PDT)

Guys: YOU CAN TRANSFER MUSIC FROM AN iPod TO A COMPUTER WITH A PIECE OF SPECIAL SOFTWARE.

Please read the previous posts and have a look at the top of the page: “THE MOST ASKED QUESTION….”

It gets really boring reading posts every week from people with the same problem who haven’t even read the page!

Posted by alfa1996 in UK on May 17, 2005 at 3:09 PM (PDT)

My uncle has a whole bunch of music that i dont have, so he put it all on my ipod from his computer. the question is how do i get music FROM my ipod ONTO my computer??? he has a whole bunch of great songs but i cant play them on my itunes because i cant put music from my ipod onto my computer. PLEASE HELP AND ANSWER!!! thank you

Posted by i-boy on May 17, 2005 at 6:14 PM (PDT)

I want to copy music-files to my iPod shuffle without iTunes (copy/paste in Windows-Explorer OR with Media Player).

Is there a way to do this, because I have my music on different computers and I cannot install software on the computer in my office.

Posted by MikeMayr on May 18, 2005 at 12:30 AM (PDT)

Im sure this has been asked but I cant seem to resolve my problem.  I have 4th gen ipod and have downloaded ituens to my PC.  Itunes will open once but will not recognise the ipod.  After this itunes crashes and refuses to open. The PC recognises that an extenal disc drive (ipod) is attached.  I have uninstalled itunes and have found that doing this disbles my DVD ROM drive (Toshiba DVD ROM-M1212).  The ipod works on my friends PC with absolutely no problems.

Any help or advice would be great.

Posted by Steviedunn on May 19, 2005 at 1:23 AM (PDT)

i purchased my ipod second hand and am currently trying to put songs onto it. i could not get a hold of the itunes cd but have managed to download it off an apple website but still i am having no luck. any ideas?

Posted by antz on May 21, 2005 at 5:34 AM (PDT)

i downloaded my ipod on my cousins computer.eventhough i did that can i still download itunes to my ipod from ny computer?

roses

Posted by roses on July 10, 2005 at 3:19 PM (PDT)

i recently got a new hard drive in my computer. when i plug in my ipod, itunes comes up but its the newer version and doesn’t have any of my songs listed in the itunes library. how do i get the songs off of my ipod back into my itunes library??

Posted by Browneyes on July 23, 2005 at 1:46 PM (PDT)