Apple TV AirTunes Support
Ask iLounge offers readers the opportunity to get answers to their iPod-, iPhone-, iPad-, iTunes-, or Apple TV-related questions from a member of the iLounge editorial team. We'll answer several questions here each week, and of course, you can always get help with more immediate concerns from the iLounge Discussion Forums. Submit your questions for consideration using our Ask iLounge Submit Form. We reserve the right to edit questions for grammar, spelling, and length.
Q: I have heard about a new “Airtunes” feature on Apple TV, and assumed this meant that the Apple TV could also function as “remote speakers” and therefore I could stream music from my computer to speakers connected to the Apple TV. However, after reading the most recent Apple TV article on iLounge, I now understand the “Airtunes” feature is actually to enable the Apple TV to stream to another Airport Express. Can an Apple TV function as an Airport Express in addition to everything else it does? Would I be able to simply choose the speakers in iTunes and stream the music to the Apple TV without going into any of the Apple TV settings?
A: Although the new AirTunes support is a relatively minor feature in the new Apple TV update, the specifics of what it does still seems to be causing some confusion, with some conflicting reports, even from some of the folks at the Apple booth at Macworld itself.
To get clarification, we went straight to the product manager, and the answer was simply that the Apple TV 2.0 will now act as an AirTunes client, meaning that it will presumably appear in iTunes as a set of speakers in much the same way that an Airport Express would, effectively eliminating the need for a separate Airport Express and allowing music to be streamed to the Apple TV directly from iTunes without the need to turn on the TV or browse through the Apple TV menus.
In addition to the simplicity of playing music back from within iTunes without having to navigate through the Apple TV menus, this will also allow playback of streaming Internet radio stations from iTunes—a feature that is presently not available on the Apple TV itself, even with the new firmware.
UPDATE: According to further information from Apple, the Apple TV remote can also be used to control music playback when streaming from your iTunes library in AirTunes mode. This means that you will be able to use the Apple remote to pause and resume playback, skip tracks and even fast-forward and rewind within a track, all without needing to turn your TV on or navigate via the Apple TV interface. This provides an additional benefit over a standard Airport Express base station.
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?
- How do I keep my iPhone calls from ringing on my Mac?
- Why doesn’t Traffic show up on my Today Notifications Screen?
- Why doesn’t my iPhone reconnect to Wi-Fi after I turn it on?
- Why can’t I see the iPad-style landscape view on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- Federal bill aims to take regulatory power for phone encryption out of state hands
- Job post shows Apple emphasizing new complications, faces for Apple Watch
- New comments hint at forthcoming streaming TV service from Apple
- Apple Music available on Sonos starting today
- Screen protector installation now available at Apple Stores
- Russia mulling tax increase on App Store purchases, other Apple services
- Lawyers threaten to sue Apple over ‘Error 53’ codes disabling iPhones
- Apple releases iOS 9.3 beta 3, tvOS 9.2 beta 3, watchOS 2.2 beta 3 to developers
- Indie game ‘The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth’ rejected by Apple over violence toward children
- Apple likely to receive approval to open retail stores in India
- Vicks SmartTemp Wireless Smartphone Thermometer
- Gumdrop Cases DropTech Case for iPad Pro
- Edifier MP700 Rave Portable Bluetooth Speaker
- Just Mobile HoverDock for Apple Watch + HoverDock for iPhone
- VRS Design Dandy Layered Case for iPad Pro
- Just Mobile TENC for iPad Pro
- Native Union DOCK Lightning
- Native Union DOCK for Apple Watch
- Hitcase Pro+ Action Pack and Snap for iPhone 6/6s
- Urban Armor Gear Trooper for iPhone 6/6s
- Inside the betas: What’s new in iOS 9.3 and tvOS 9.2 (Updated)
- Life with HomeKit: Our experiences with Apple’s home automation system
- Under the Radar: 10 ‘hidden’ details about the new Apple TV
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 9.0
- Under the Radar: A closer look at smaller iPhone 6s and iPhone 6s Plus changes
- A First Look at iOS 9’s Transit in Apple Maps (Updated for watchOS 2)
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iTunes 12.2
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 8.4 + Apple Music
- CE Week 2015: IK Multimedia, Monowear’s Apple Watch bands + More
- Live From CE Week 2015: Brand New iPad, iPhone + Mac Accessories!