Apple TV AirTunes Support
Ask iLounge offers readers the opportunity to get answers to their iPod-, iPhone-, iPad-, iTunes-, or Apple TV-related questions from a member of the iLounge editorial team. We'll answer several questions here each week, and of course, you can always get help with more immediate concerns from the iLounge Discussion Forums. Submit your questions for consideration using our Ask iLounge Submit Form. We reserve the right to edit questions for grammar, spelling, and length.
Q: I have heard about a new “Airtunes” feature on Apple TV, and assumed this meant that the Apple TV could also function as “remote speakers” and therefore I could stream music from my computer to speakers connected to the Apple TV. However, after reading the most recent Apple TV article on iLounge, I now understand the “Airtunes” feature is actually to enable the Apple TV to stream to another Airport Express. Can an Apple TV function as an Airport Express in addition to everything else it does? Would I be able to simply choose the speakers in iTunes and stream the music to the Apple TV without going into any of the Apple TV settings?
A: Although the new AirTunes support is a relatively minor feature in the new Apple TV update, the specifics of what it does still seems to be causing some confusion, with some conflicting reports, even from some of the folks at the Apple booth at Macworld itself.
To get clarification, we went straight to the product manager, and the answer was simply that the Apple TV 2.0 will now act as an AirTunes client, meaning that it will presumably appear in iTunes as a set of speakers in much the same way that an Airport Express would, effectively eliminating the need for a separate Airport Express and allowing music to be streamed to the Apple TV directly from iTunes without the need to turn on the TV or browse through the Apple TV menus.
In addition to the simplicity of playing music back from within iTunes without having to navigate through the Apple TV menus, this will also allow playback of streaming Internet radio stations from iTunes—a feature that is presently not available on the Apple TV itself, even with the new firmware.
UPDATE: According to further information from Apple, the Apple TV remote can also be used to control music playback when streaming from your iTunes library in AirTunes mode. This means that you will be able to use the Apple remote to pause and resume playback, skip tracks and even fast-forward and rewind within a track, all without needing to turn your TV on or navigate via the Apple TV interface. This provides an additional benefit over a standard Airport Express base station.
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?
- How do I keep my iPhone calls from ringing on my Mac?
- Why doesn’t Traffic show up on my Today Notifications Screen?
- Why doesn’t my iPhone reconnect to Wi-Fi after I turn it on?
- Why can’t I see the iPad-style landscape view on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- Analyst claims wireless charging will be included in ‘iPhone 8,’ but rules out Energous as provider
- Apple claims EU made ‘fundamental errors’ in calculating $14B Irish tax ruling
- Analyst: ‘iPhone 8’ to feature ‘revolutionary’ front-facing camera with 3D sensors
- Apple releases third betas for iOS 10.3, tvOS 10.2, and watchOS 3.2 to developers
- Happy Presidents’ Day from iLounge
- Apple plans to begin iPhone manufacturing in India starting with the iPhone SE
- Rumor: iPhone 8 to eliminate Touch ID in favor of Facial Recognition
- Report: Apple working on 4K for next-generation Apple TV
- Apple announces WWDC 2017
- Apple patent points to possible new Smart Keyboard with dedicated ‘Share’ and ‘Emoji’ keys
- 1More Triple Driver In-Ear Headphones
- Revogi Smart Lightbulb, Smart Lightstrip, Smart Candle + Smart Meter Plug
- Audeze iSine10 In-Ear Headphones
- MOCACARE MOCACuff Connected Blood Pressure Monitor
- Apple AirPods
- Elgato Eve Motion
- Olloclip Core Lens Set for iPhone 7/7 Plus
- Logitech Pop Home Switch Starter Pack
- Elgato Eve Light Switch
- iHome iPLWBT5 Docking Clock Radio for iPhone and Apple Watch
- Top Five: The Best Products for Building a Smart Home with HomeKit
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of watchOS 3
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of tvOS 10
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 10
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Photos gets Advanced Computer Vision
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Music app delivers ‘clarity and simplicity’
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Maps gets a major redesign
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 shakes up the user experience
- Inside the betas: watchOS 3 promises a real speed boost
- Inside the betas: A sneak peek at what’s new in tvOS 10