Apple TV and Wi-Fi network protocols
Ask iLounge offers readers the opportunity to get answers to their iPod-, iPhone-, iPad-, iTunes-, or Apple TV-related questions from a member of the iLounge editorial team. We'll answer several questions here each week, and of course, you can always get help with more immediate concerns from the iLounge Discussion Forums. Submit your questions for consideration using our Ask iLounge Submit Form. We reserve the right to edit questions for grammar, spelling, and length.
Q: Regarding the Apple TV, will it only work with the new Airport Extreme (802.11n) base station, or will it work fine with my now outdated UFO-shaped Airport Extreme (802.11g) base station? I don’t want to buy an Apple TV only to find that I need to also buy a new Airport. Thanks!
A: First of all, let’s clarify your question for other readers: an Apple-branded Airport device will never be explicitly required - Apple TV requires only an 802.11-based wireless network (or an ethernet connection) to function - the manufacturer of the router powering the network not important.
Second, the Apple TV will indeed work with any Wi-Fi connection of the b, g, or n variety for much of its functionality. Video streaming - especially for 720p HD content - is the one mode of operation that Apple’s technical specifications page specifically states requires “either 802.11g or 802.11n”.
To definitively answer whether 802.11g is truly sufficient for streaming 720p video to an Apple TV in a real-world environment, however, we’ll have to wait for hands-on testing with a shipping unit. Our gut instinct is that Apple TV users looking to stream 720p content will likely want to have an 802.11n network for reliability, even though under ideal conditions, 802.11g should technically be able to handle the stream. In either case, an 802.11n setup will certainly be helpful for very high speed syncing of the Apple TV’s hard drive with your iTunes library.
We’ll be conducting full tests of the Apple TV as soon as our unit arrives - stay tuned!
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?
- How do I keep my iPhone calls from ringing on my Mac?
- Why doesn’t Traffic show up on my Today Notifications Screen?
- Why doesn’t my iPhone reconnect to Wi-Fi after I turn it on?
- Why can’t I see the iPad-style landscape view on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- Report: Some third-party repairs ‘bricking’ iPhones with iOS 9
- Report: Apple to bid on NFL Thursday Night Football streaming rights
- Apple to begin taking broken iPhones for trade-in, offer in-store screen protector installation
- Apple ordered to pay $625M to VirnetX in patent case
- Apple Pay reaches 2 million retail locations
- Apple acquires security company LegbaCore
- Zagg to acquire Mophie for $100 million
- Report: iPhone 7 to include flush camera lens, drop rear antenna bands
- Report: iPhone 5se, iPad Air 3 set for March 15 unveil
- Alleged iPad Air 3 drawing shows Smart Connector, four speakers, camera flash
- Gumdrop Cases DropTech Case for iPad Pro
- Edifier MP700 Rave Portable Bluetooth Speaker
- Just Mobile HoverDock for Apple Watch + HoverDock for iPhone
- VRS Design Dandy Layered Case for iPad Pro
- Just Mobile TENC for iPad Pro
- Native Union DOCK Lightning
- Native Union DOCK for Apple Watch
- Hitcase Pro+ Action Pack and Snap for iPhone 6/6s
- Urban Armor Gear Trooper for iPhone 6/6s
- NEBO CaseBrite for iPhone 6 Plus/6s Plus
- Inside the betas: What’s new in iOS 9.3 and tvOS 9.2 (Updated)
- Life with HomeKit: Our experiences with Apple’s home automation system
- Under the Radar: 10 ‘hidden’ details about the new Apple TV
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 9.0
- Under the Radar: A closer look at smaller iPhone 6s and iPhone 6s Plus changes
- A First Look at iOS 9’s Transit in Apple Maps (Updated for watchOS 2)
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iTunes 12.2
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 8.4 + Apple Music
- CE Week 2015: IK Multimedia, Monowear’s Apple Watch bands + More
- Live From CE Week 2015: Brand New iPad, iPhone + Mac Accessories!