Greatest Hits album won’t show on iPod
Ask iLounge offers readers the opportunity to get answers to their iPod-, iPhone-, iPad-, iTunes-, or Apple TV-related questions from a member of the iLounge editorial team. We'll answer several questions here each week, and of course, you can always get help with more immediate concerns from the iLounge Discussion Forums. Submit your questions for consideration using our Ask iLounge Submit Form. We reserve the right to edit questions for grammar, spelling, and length.
Q: I recently ripped Tim McGraw’s Greatest Hits CD into my iTunes library, and then dragged it to my iPod. The album is listed on my iPod while it’s connected to my computer, but once I disconnect my iPod from the computer, it doesn’t appear in the iPod’s menu system. I’ve deleted it and tried it again, but it still doesn’t appear. I’ve also ripped CDs after that and the new CDs appear on my iPod. What’s up with that?
A: Since the problem is occurring with a “Greatest Hits” album, here’s our two-part guess:
The track information that iTunes automatically fetches when you import a CD has marked the album as a “Compilation.” That’s the first part of the issue. The second is that your iPod is set to display “Compilations” separately from regular albums. To verify that this is the case, go to your iPod’s “Settings” menu, and see that the “Compilations” setting is set to “On.”
This is nothing but good news, then: your iPod is behaving exactly as expected, given the settings it has, and the tags on the album. The album is, in fact, on your iPod, but to browse to it, you must select “Music → Compilations” instead of any of the other second-tier options.
If you’d rather this album fall within the other Tim McGraw albums in a regular listing, simply either disable the iPod’s “Compilations” option, or remove the “Part of a Compilation” flag from the tracks’ information in iTunes. To do this, highlight the tracks in iTunes, and select “Get Info…” from iTunes’ “File” menu.
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?
- How do I keep my iPhone calls from ringing on my Mac?
- Why doesn’t Traffic show up on my Today Notifications Screen?
- Why doesn’t my iPhone reconnect to Wi-Fi after I turn it on?
- Why can’t I see the iPad-style landscape view on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- Families fight in court over missing teen’s iPhone data
- Court allows police to force woman to unlock iPhone with Touch ID fingerprint
- Coach reportedly releasing bands for Apple Watch
- Invoxia adds Amazon Alexa to Triby
- Apple provides more details on new Apple Music API
- Apple Music for Android adds music videos, Family Plan support
- Icahn pulls out of Apple over China concerns
- Apple launches CareKit, with four apps debuting today
- Alleged schematics for iPhone 7 ‘Pro’ show up in Japanese magazine
- Nintendo bringing Fire Emblem, Animal Crossing to iOS
- August Doorbell Cam
- August Smart Lock HomeKit enabled + Smart Keypad
- ecobee3 HomeKit-enabled smart Wi-Fi thermostat
- Zagg Now Cam
- Yantouch EyE Portable Wireless Speaker
- Netatmo Wind Gauge
- Incipio Stashback for iPhone 6/6s
- Schlage Sense Smart Deadbolt with HomeKit support
- ClamCase ClamCase Pro for iPad mini 4
- Brydge BrydgeMini II Keyboard for iPad mini 4
- Filling the Gap: A look at third-party HomeKit apps
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of tvOS 9.2
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 9.3
- Opinion: Why Apple needs a dedicated HomeKit app
- Inside the betas: What’s new in iOS 9.3 and tvOS 9.2 (Updated)
- Life with HomeKit: Our experiences with Apple’s home automation system
- Under the Radar: 10 ‘hidden’ details about the new Apple TV
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 9.0
- Under the Radar: A closer look at smaller iPhone 6s and iPhone 6s Plus changes
- A First Look at iOS 9’s Transit in Apple Maps (Updated for watchOS 2)