Assigning artwork to multiple tracks
Ask iLounge offers readers the opportunity to get answers to their iPod-, iPhone-, iPad-, iTunes-, or Apple TV-related questions from a member of the iLounge editorial team. We'll answer several questions here each week, and of course, you can always get help with more immediate concerns from the iLounge Discussion Forums. Submit your questions for consideration using our Ask iLounge Submit Form. We reserve the right to edit questions for grammar, spelling, and length.
Q: Is there a simple way I can associate one image as the album art for every song in my iTunes music library?
A: Although it is not possible to have iTunes simply use a single image for every song by default, you can assign an artwork image to multiple tracks at once.
To do this, simply select the tracks that you want to apply an album artwork image to. To select ALL tracks in the current view, you can use the Edit, Select All option. Once the selected tracks are highlighted, simply choose File, Get Info and you will be presented with a dialog box that will allow you to edit the properties for all selected tracks.
An artwork image can either be dragged into the “Artwork” box, or you can paste an image in from the system clipboard by clicking on the Artwork box and pressing CTRL-V (Windows) or CMD-V (Mac) to paste the clipboard content into it. Clicking OK will then apply the assigned artwork image to all tracks, replacing any artwork that may have previously been present.
Another method of assigning artwork is to use the artwork window in iTunes itself. To do this, ensure the window is displayed by choosing View, Show Artwork and that it is showing the artwork for “Selected Item” instead of “Now Playing” (you can change this by clicking on the title of the artwork window). You can then select multiple tracks and drag or paste the artwork into the artwork window. Note, however, that this will not replace existing artwork, but only add the artwork image to the selected tracks as an additional image which will appear in the “Artwork” tab of the track properties.
Also note that either procedure will embed the artwork image in every selected track, so it may take a few minutes to run on a large library, and it will slightly increase the size of each file by approximately 40-50KB (depending upon the resolution of the artwork image). These added artwork images, if transferred to the iPod, will also take up additional space on the iPod since each image must be stored individually in the artwork database on the iPod, even if they are all the same image. Each image takes up approximately 100KB per track on a 5G iPod, or 24KB per track on an iPod nano.
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?
- How do I keep my iPhone calls from ringing on my Mac?
- Why doesn’t Traffic show up on my Today Notifications Screen?
- Why doesn’t my iPhone reconnect to Wi-Fi after I turn it on?
- Why can’t I see the iPad-style landscape view on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- CBS CEO Moonves notes Apple talks have stopped
- Apple will source iPhone 7 ‘A10’ CPU solely from TSMC
- Federal bill aims to take regulatory power for phone encryption out of state hands
- Job post shows Apple emphasizing new complications, faces for Apple Watch
- New comments hint at forthcoming streaming TV service from Apple
- Apple Music available on Sonos starting today
- Screen protector installation now available at Apple Stores
- Russia mulling tax increase on App Store purchases, other Apple services
- Lawyers threaten to sue Apple over ‘Error 53’ codes disabling iPhones
- Apple releases iOS 9.3 beta 3, tvOS 9.2 beta 3, watchOS 2.2 beta 3 to developers
- Vicks SmartTemp Wireless Smartphone Thermometer
- Gumdrop Cases DropTech Case for iPad Pro
- Edifier MP700 Rave Portable Bluetooth Speaker
- Just Mobile HoverDock for Apple Watch + HoverDock for iPhone
- VRS Design Dandy Layered Case for iPad Pro
- Just Mobile TENC for iPad Pro
- Native Union DOCK Lightning
- Native Union DOCK for Apple Watch
- Hitcase Pro+ Action Pack and Snap for iPhone 6/6s
- Urban Armor Gear Trooper for iPhone 6/6s
- Inside the betas: What’s new in iOS 9.3 and tvOS 9.2 (Updated)
- Life with HomeKit: Our experiences with Apple’s home automation system
- Under the Radar: 10 ‘hidden’ details about the new Apple TV
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 9.0
- Under the Radar: A closer look at smaller iPhone 6s and iPhone 6s Plus changes
- A First Look at iOS 9’s Transit in Apple Maps (Updated for watchOS 2)
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iTunes 12.2
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 8.4 + Apple Music
- CE Week 2015: IK Multimedia, Monowear’s Apple Watch bands + More
- Live From CE Week 2015: Brand New iPad, iPhone + Mac Accessories!