Audible User’s Guide for iPod | iLounge Article

Article

Audible User’s Guide for iPod

I

« How to import CD tracks to iTunes

MWNY03: A look at iPod accessories »

Comments

‘Im getting a runtime error message listing an Abnormal program termination when I try to complete the activation of my iPod with the Audible Manager.  It show the iPod as NOT being connected when it is.

iPod works with musicmatch fine…and I make sure and eject it from Musicmatch and close the program before I try to initialize it with Audible??

Any suggestions?

Posted by Dennis Lloyd in Irvine, CA on November 6, 2003 at 12:58 PM (CST)

Chark,

I had this same problem.  I use EphPod to transfer songs, and apparently there is a driver which the Audible Manger expects to be installed, which is not installed on your machine as an EphPod user.  I downloaded and reinstalled the iPod 1.3 firmware (even though my iPod had this firmware already) and the missing driver was installed on my computer.  Make sure you reboot before running the Audible Manager after this update and you will be good to go.

Posted by Dennis Lloyd in Irvine, CA on November 14, 2003 at 11:11 AM (CST)

我需要中文说明.

Posted by Dennis Lloyd in Irvine, CA on December 11, 2003 at 1:24 AM (CST)

I am thinking about buying an iPod and have one question:
Is the “bookmark” feature bound only to these Audible files or can it remember the play position within any other large MP3 file (for example a DJ mix) or within a playlist (persitent, not just the last)? I think the Rio Karma player can do this…

Posted by Dennis Lloyd in Irvine, CA on February 24, 2004 at 1:44 PM (CST)

I love the bookmarking ability with the Audible files, but it always seems like when I try to pick up from where I left off, it’s going back to the previous bookmark, not the most recent. Is there an exact combo of steps to make sure it’s bookmarking my most recent position? Thanks!!!

Posted by Dennis Lloyd in Irvine, CA on March 24, 2004 at 2:27 PM (CST)

I use my iPod Mini exclusively for audiobooks. I have been alternately delighted and disappointed by its bookmarking feature. Sometimes it remembers my place, even when I jump to a different book for a while, as you described. Sometimes it goes back to my LAST stopping place, as Melissa describes. And sometimes it starts over in the book, usually after the battery runs down (almost daily) or I leave it charging too long. When it works correctly, it is great. When it doesn’t, you can imagine my frustration trying to find my last stopping place in an eight-hour long file. I’ve trained myself to USUALLY remember whereabouts I stopped last—but I have had a few choice words to say to my iPod on certain occasions.

Posted by Dennis Lloyd in Irvine, CA on July 13, 2004 at 10:25 PM (CDT)

One additional thought: You should mention to your readers that the iPod will LOAD and recognize Audible file format 1 on the hard-drive, but cannot play it. They must load format 2 or higher, which are considerably larger files but no problem for the relatively massy HD on the iPod. I have 33 continuous DAYS of audiobooks on board my Mini, and still have about 1/3 of HD left.

Extra freebie: iTunes for Windows works better and produces better quality audio than Windows Media Player does—AND it doesn’t tie up your entire system resources either.

Posted by Dennis Lloyd in Irvine, CA on July 13, 2004 at 10:31 PM (CDT)

You can enable bookmarking on any AAC file that you use on your Ipod and in ITunes.  Modify the extension of the AAC file from “m4a” to “m4b ” (space at the end).  Whalla instant bookmarking enabled.  This works for Apple and PC.

Posted by Dennis Lloyd in Irvine, CA on August 4, 2004 at 12:15 PM (CDT)

Hi,

Digital is the future… obviously…
The Ipod is currently leading the way into the portal digital audio player; congrats.

Aubile Books are great but I’d like to also listen to my current books on CD on my ipod and store them right next to my audible files and not with my music.

I don’t really want to be shuffling through my songs and having books and language programs pop up.

The “fast, normal, slow” controls are great for anything encoded with the audible’s m4b format but how do I get my audiobooks and language programs on CD into that into that format?  The bookmark is also key but I would love the speed control features.

I shouldn’t have to buy something again just to get the good encoding.  I already paid for the audio material and should be able to listen to it on my ipod easily, just like audible’s format

So what do you think?  Wouldn’t it be great to get all your audio files (books on CD, language programs… I’m sure the future ipods will have video storage with video outs to the TVs… so family videos by then) onto the ipod and store them into the software the most effecient way possible???

If we all ask apple through the feedback on the ipod.com website, we might stimulate a response.

Until the software changes…

There has to be something out there that rips into audible’s format… we just need to find it.

Happy Hunting,

Tom

Posted by Dennis Lloyd in Irvine, CA on August 7, 2004 at 6:02 PM (CDT)

GoldWave (http://www.goldwave.com) will convert from Audible format to MP3.  I wonder if it will go the other way too?  Never tried, but I’d love to organize them like you’re saying.

Posted by Dennis Lloyd in Irvine, CA on August 27, 2004 at 7:35 AM (CDT)

I’ve renamed my mono 32kbps AAC audio file from m3a to m3b. Audio book plays on 4G clickwheel ipod but when you pause (for bookmark) it locks up the player.

Does anyone else have this issue or could someone suggest what I am doing wrong?

Thanks,
Matt

Posted by Dennis Lloyd in Irvine, CA on September 18, 2004 at 7:55 AM (CDT)

Read this thread for more on changing file type/extension.

Posted by Dennis Lloyd in Irvine, CA on September 20, 2004 at 3:42 AM (CDT)

Andreas,
Thanks for the response…

but it does not discuss the locking up on a 4G clickwheel (the threads end in March).

Has anyone else had their 4G clickwheel iPod lock up when playing audiobook files that were made by renaming m4a to m4b?

Posted by Dennis Lloyd in Irvine, CA on September 20, 2004 at 6:44 AM (CDT)

It is just not true what PARANNOYA says above ! There is a way to convert any MP§ file into audible file format ans it does not need any software but itunes itself !!!!!

Just import the audio book that is in MP§ into the itunes internal AAC format. This will create a new data file directory in 4ma format !

Now all you need is to manually change the extension name from 4ma to 4mb and off you go !
Once you changed the extension to 4mb you have real workable audible equal files that play in different speeds etc…....

The only thing of course you need to do is to rereference them into the itunes library for the change in file names make them unreachable for itunes.

Hope you enjoy !
ALexander Berger

Posted by Dennis Lloyd in Irvine, CA on September 23, 2004 at 12:22 AM (CDT)

It seems with the 4gen ipod, changing the extension locks the firmware.
It sucks ....

Posted by Dennis Lloyd in Irvine, CA on September 29, 2004 at 4:39 PM (CDT)

I have a 4th gen and converted my mp3 audiobook files to m4a using itunes and then renamed the extensions to “m4b ” using windows explorer and i’ve not encountered any lock up problems. The audio book features work perfectly! thanks to the folks who did the guide.

Posted by Dennis Lloyd in Irvine, CA on October 14, 2004 at 3:56 PM (CDT)

I have a problem with an audiobook I bought itune store.  It downloaded to my library but I can’t seen to transfer it to my ipod.  It just won’t show up on my ipod.  Any thoughts?

Posted by Dennis Lloyd in Irvine, CA on October 17, 2004 at 5:46 PM (CDT)

Converting to AAC and then renaming file extension to M4b works great on the 4g. I have not had any problems doing that.

Posted by Dennis Lloyd in Irvine, CA on October 17, 2004 at 9:05 PM (CDT)

To Whom It May Concern,

Background: I have downloaded and edited {The Filenames} quite a few MP3’s. But as I transfer or import them to my IPod, this maticulously edited {and not to mention great deal of time used to do this editing} does not show up on the IPod. Of course as you know, the “source name” does show up.  Often times, this “source name” is incorrect.
Question: How would I import into IPod these Edited “filenames” from My “My Shared Folder”?
Or is there a way to replace the “source names” with the edited “Filenames” in “My Shared Folder”? This way and once I import this shared folder source-names, I will have imported my precious and correctly edited “File Names”.
Or is there a support program {to purchase}that will help me do this?

Gary

Posted by Dennis Lloyd in Irvine, CA on October 20, 2004 at 1:45 PM (CDT)

I have also converted my audiobook MP3s to AAC (.m4a) and then renamed them all to .m4b files.  After transferring to the iPod and listening/bookmarking I have begun experiencing the lock-ups that are mentioned above.  Any available help with this issue would be greatly appreciated.

Posted by Dennis Lloyd in Irvine, CA on December 3, 2004 at 11:21 AM (CST)

Comments

Any suggestions?

Posted by Dennis Lloyd in Irvine, CA on November 6, 2003 at 12:58 PM (CST)

Chark,

Posted by Dennis Lloyd in Irvine, CA on November 14, 2003 at 11:11 AM (CST)

我需要中文说明.

Posted by Dennis Lloyd in Irvine, CA on December 11, 2003 at 1:24 AM (CST)

I am thinking about buying an iPod and have one question:

Posted by Dennis Lloyd in Irvine, CA on February 24, 2004 at 1:44 PM (CST)

Posted by Dennis Lloyd in Irvine, CA on March 24, 2004 at 2:27 PM (CST)

Posted by Dennis Lloyd in Irvine, CA on July 13, 2004 at 10:25 PM (CDT)

Posted by Dennis Lloyd in Irvine, CA on July 13, 2004 at 10:31 PM (CDT)

Posted by Dennis Lloyd in Irvine, CA on August 4, 2004 at 12:15 PM (CDT)

Hi,

Digital is the future… obviously…

Until the software changes…

Happy Hunting,

Tom

Posted by Dennis Lloyd in Irvine, CA on August 7, 2004 at 6:02 PM (CDT)

Posted by Dennis Lloyd in Irvine, CA on August 27, 2004 at 7:35 AM (CDT)

Thanks,
Matt

Posted by Dennis Lloyd in Irvine, CA on September 18, 2004 at 7:55 AM (CDT)

Read this thread for more on changing file type/extension.

Posted by Dennis Lloyd in Irvine, CA on September 20, 2004 at 3:42 AM (CDT)

Andreas,
Thanks for the response…

Posted by Dennis Lloyd in Irvine, CA on September 20, 2004 at 6:44 AM (CDT)

Hope you enjoy !
ALexander Berger

Posted by Dennis Lloyd in Irvine, CA on September 23, 2004 at 12:22 AM (CDT)

It seems with the 4gen ipod, changing the extension locks the firmware.
It sucks ....

Posted by Dennis Lloyd in Irvine, CA on September 29, 2004 at 4:39 PM (CDT)

Posted by Dennis Lloyd in Irvine, CA on October 14, 2004 at 3:56 PM (CDT)

Posted by Dennis Lloyd in Irvine, CA on October 17, 2004 at 5:46 PM (CDT)

Posted by Dennis Lloyd in Irvine, CA on October 17, 2004 at 9:05 PM (CDT)

To Whom It May Concern,

Or is there a support program {to purchase}that will help me do this?

Gary

Posted by Dennis Lloyd in Irvine, CA on October 20, 2004 at 1:45 PM (CDT)

Posted by Dennis Lloyd in Irvine, CA on December 3, 2004 at 11:21 AM (CST)