Audio recording on iPod touch
Ask iLounge offers readers the opportunity to get answers to their iPod-, iPhone-, iPad-, iTunes-, or Apple TV-related questions from a member of the iLounge editorial team. We'll answer several questions here each week, and of course, you can always get help with more immediate concerns from the iLounge Discussion Forums. Submit your questions for consideration using our Ask iLounge Submit Form. We reserve the right to edit questions for grammar, spelling, and length.
Q: I’m looking for an audio recorder adapter that works with iPod touch. From what I’ve read, there is nothing available. Is that correct? Is something in the works? The closest that I’ve found is the Podcast Studio, but I think that only works with certain iPods, and not the iPod touch. If this is the best that I’m going to be able to find, what are the iPods that it works with currently? Does it work with the Classic?
A: Unfortunately, the iPod touch does not presently support audio recording. Unlike the iPod classic and iPod nano, the iPod touch simply doesn’t have the necessary software as part of its standard configuration to provide for this. Since all of the available recording accessories for the iPod rely on recording support in the iPod itself, connecting an audio recording accessory will result simply in an error message indicating that this accessory is not supported.
There are some audio recording applications that have been created for jailbroken iPod touch and iPhone models, however these are not compatible with most standard iPod recording accessories at this point, and the few that do work do not provide proper line-in levels. These solutions may be of interested to technology enthusiasts but are definitely not recommended for the average end-user.
In order for voice recording to properly be supported on the iPod touch, Apple is going to have to add this capability in a firmware update. Since Apple does not normally discuss future plans, it is uncertain when this capability might appear, or if it will appear at all.
The bottom line is that if audio recording on your iPod is something that is important to you, you are far better off to go with either the iPod classic or iPod nano (with video). The older fifth-generation iPod and second-generation iPod nano also provide voice recording support with the same accessories, so purchasing an older discontinued iPod model may also be an option.
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?
- How do I keep my iPhone calls from ringing on my Mac?
- Why doesn’t Traffic show up on my Today Notifications Screen?
- Why doesn’t my iPhone reconnect to Wi-Fi after I turn it on?
- Why can’t I see the iPad-style landscape view on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- CBS CEO Moonves notes Apple talks have stopped
- Apple will source iPhone 7 ‘A10’ CPU solely from TSMC
- Federal bill aims to take regulatory power for phone encryption out of state hands
- Job post shows Apple emphasizing new complications, faces for Apple Watch
- New comments hint at forthcoming streaming TV service from Apple
- Apple Music available on Sonos starting today
- Screen protector installation now available at Apple Stores
- Russia mulling tax increase on App Store purchases, other Apple services
- Lawyers threaten to sue Apple over ‘Error 53’ codes disabling iPhones
- Apple releases iOS 9.3 beta 3, tvOS 9.2 beta 3, watchOS 2.2 beta 3 to developers
- Vicks SmartTemp Wireless Smartphone Thermometer
- Gumdrop Cases DropTech Case for iPad Pro
- Edifier MP700 Rave Portable Bluetooth Speaker
- Just Mobile HoverDock for Apple Watch + HoverDock for iPhone
- VRS Design Dandy Layered Case for iPad Pro
- Just Mobile TENC for iPad Pro
- Native Union DOCK Lightning
- Native Union DOCK for Apple Watch
- Hitcase Pro+ Action Pack and Snap for iPhone 6/6s
- Urban Armor Gear Trooper for iPhone 6/6s
- Inside the betas: What’s new in iOS 9.3 and tvOS 9.2 (Updated)
- Life with HomeKit: Our experiences with Apple’s home automation system
- Under the Radar: 10 ‘hidden’ details about the new Apple TV
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 9.0
- Under the Radar: A closer look at smaller iPhone 6s and iPhone 6s Plus changes
- A First Look at iOS 9’s Transit in Apple Maps (Updated for watchOS 2)
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iTunes 12.2
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 8.4 + Apple Music
- CE Week 2015: IK Multimedia, Monowear’s Apple Watch bands + More
- Live From CE Week 2015: Brand New iPad, iPhone + Mac Accessories!