Audio severely distorted with static
Ask iLounge offers readers the opportunity to get answers to their iPod-, iPhone-, iPad-, iTunes-, or Apple TV-related questions from a member of the iLounge editorial team. We'll answer several questions here each week, and of course, you can always get help with more immediate concerns from the iLounge Discussion Forums. Submit your questions for consideration using our Ask iLounge Submit Form. We reserve the right to edit questions for grammar, spelling, and length.
Q: After upgrading to iTunes 7, my audio playback for everything in iTunes sounds garbled and is riddled with distortion and static, especially when I’m multitasking. It was never this way on previous versions of iTunes. How can I fix this?
A: First and foremost, don’t worry - your library’s contents have not been corrupted by the upgrade. The problem, rather, is a bug in iTunes’ software. Many Windows users have reported a startling amount of major bugs since iTunes 7’s release, including the sound distortion you mentioned, CoverFlow rendering problems, a memory leak, album art issues, and more.
At this point, the best recommendation we have is to be patient, and realize that Apple is undoubtedly working on iTunes 7.0.1 as fast as they can, and that most of these major bugs are surely on the top of their to-do list.
For what it’s worth, several users are reporting that the following procedure helps with the audio distortion problem. Some report no change, but the procedure is worth a try:
Open your computer’s Control Panel, and find the QuickTime Control Panel. In the “Audio” tab, try the following changes:
Change audio settings to 44.1 kHz and 16 bit resolution, and, if necessary, check the “Safe Mode” box. Apply the new settings, and restart iTunes to see if they’ve made a difference. If not, keep tweaking: different combinations of settings appear to work for different users.
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?
- How do I keep my iPhone calls from ringing on my Mac?
- Why doesn’t Traffic show up on my Today Notifications Screen?
- Why doesn’t my iPhone reconnect to Wi-Fi after I turn it on?
- Why can’t I see the iPad-style landscape view on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- August adds Motion Detection, Video Recording to Doorbell Cam
- Black hat security firm triples exploit bounty to $1.5m in wake of improved iOS 10 security features
- BMW acknowledges Bluetooth problems with iPhone 7
- Apple announces ‘Game of Thrones: Enhanced Edition’ interactive iBooks
- Apple announces App Store Search Ads
- Apple announces iOS business development partnership with Deloitte
- Apple logs iMessage contact info, could be compelled to offer info to police
- Apple reportedly calls in hackers for meeting on bug bounty program
- Apple creating new London headquarters
- Honeywell debuts Lyric T5 HomeKit-enabled smart thermostat
- IK Multimedia iRig HD 2
- 808 Audio XS Sport Rugged Wireless Speaker
- Mass Fidelity Core Bluetooth Speaker
- Thought Out Simplex Tablet iPad Stand
- SmartX Galaxy ZEGA Starter Kit
- Apple iPhone 7 Plus Leather Case
- Apple Watch Series 2
- iPhone 7 and iPhone 7 Plus
- Twelve South HiRise 2 for iPhone + iPad
- Nomad Pod Pro for iPhone and Apple Watch
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of watchOS 3
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of tvOS 10
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 10
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Photos gets Advanced Computer Vision
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Music app delivers ‘clarity and simplicity’
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Maps gets a major redesign
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 shakes up the user experience
- Inside the betas: watchOS 3 promises a real speed boost
- Inside the betas: A sneak peek at what’s new in tvOS 10
- Filling the Gap: A look at third-party HomeKit apps