Audio severely distorted with static
Ask iLounge offers readers the opportunity to get answers to their iPod-, iPhone-, iPad-, iTunes-, or Apple TV-related questions from a member of the iLounge editorial team. We'll answer several questions here each week, and of course, you can always get help with more immediate concerns from the iLounge Discussion Forums. Submit your questions for consideration using our Ask iLounge Submit Form. We reserve the right to edit questions for grammar, spelling, and length.
Q: After upgrading to iTunes 7, my audio playback for everything in iTunes sounds garbled and is riddled with distortion and static, especially when I’m multitasking. It was never this way on previous versions of iTunes. How can I fix this?
A: First and foremost, don’t worry - your library’s contents have not been corrupted by the upgrade. The problem, rather, is a bug in iTunes’ software. Many Windows users have reported a startling amount of major bugs since iTunes 7’s release, including the sound distortion you mentioned, CoverFlow rendering problems, a memory leak, album art issues, and more.
At this point, the best recommendation we have is to be patient, and realize that Apple is undoubtedly working on iTunes 7.0.1 as fast as they can, and that most of these major bugs are surely on the top of their to-do list.
For what it’s worth, several users are reporting that the following procedure helps with the audio distortion problem. Some report no change, but the procedure is worth a try:
Open your computer’s Control Panel, and find the QuickTime Control Panel. In the “Audio” tab, try the following changes:
Change audio settings to 44.1 kHz and 16 bit resolution, and, if necessary, check the “Safe Mode” box. Apply the new settings, and restart iTunes to see if they’ve made a difference. If not, keep tweaking: different combinations of settings appear to work for different users.
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?
- How do I keep my iPhone calls from ringing on my Mac?
- Why doesn’t Traffic show up on my Today Notifications Screen?
- Why doesn’t my iPhone reconnect to Wi-Fi after I turn it on?
- Why can’t I see the iPad-style landscape view on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- Apple releases updated iOS Developer Design Resources
- Apple’s exclusive audiobook deal with Audible ends in Europe following EU antitrust scrutiny
- Nintendo officially announces Fire Emblem Heroes for iOS, coming Feb. 2
- Rumor: Apple working on second-generation Apple Pencil
- GarageBand 2.2 adds Logic Pro X integration, Alchemy synth, Multi-Take Recording
- FTC files complaint against Qualcomm citing royalty deal with Apple
- India mulling manufacturing regulation changes which could woo Apple
- Apple Music creative team discusses the service’s exclusives, future
- Apple raising UK App Store prices by more than 25 percent
- Iovine fuels speculation about Apple’s interest in scripted TV shows
- Revogi Smart Lightbulb, Smart Lightstrip, Smart Candle + Smart Meter Plug
- Audeze iSine10 In-Ear Headphones
- MOCACARE MOCACuff Connected Blood Pressure Monitor
- Apple AirPods
- Elgato Eve Motion
- Olloclip Core Lens Set for iPhone 7/7 Plus
- Logitech Pop Home Switch Starter Pack
- Elgato Eve Light Switch
- iHome iPLWBT5 Docking Clock Radio for iPhone and Apple Watch
- Brydge 12.9 iPad Pro Keyboard
- Top Five: The Best Products for Building a Smart Home with HomeKit
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of watchOS 3
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of tvOS 10
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 10
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Photos gets Advanced Computer Vision
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Music app delivers ‘clarity and simplicity’
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Maps gets a major redesign
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 shakes up the user experience
- Inside the betas: watchOS 3 promises a real speed boost
- Inside the betas: A sneak peek at what’s new in tvOS 10