Audio severely distorted with static
Ask iLounge offers readers the opportunity to get answers to their iPod-, iPhone-, iPad-, iTunes-, or Apple TV-related questions from a member of the iLounge editorial team. We'll answer several questions here each week, and of course, you can always get help with more immediate concerns from the iLounge Discussion Forums. Submit your questions for consideration using our Ask iLounge Submit Form. We reserve the right to edit questions for grammar, spelling, and length.
Q: After upgrading to iTunes 7, my audio playback for everything in iTunes sounds garbled and is riddled with distortion and static, especially when I’m multitasking. It was never this way on previous versions of iTunes. How can I fix this?
A: First and foremost, don’t worry - your library’s contents have not been corrupted by the upgrade. The problem, rather, is a bug in iTunes’ software. Many Windows users have reported a startling amount of major bugs since iTunes 7’s release, including the sound distortion you mentioned, CoverFlow rendering problems, a memory leak, album art issues, and more.
At this point, the best recommendation we have is to be patient, and realize that Apple is undoubtedly working on iTunes 7.0.1 as fast as they can, and that most of these major bugs are surely on the top of their to-do list.
For what it’s worth, several users are reporting that the following procedure helps with the audio distortion problem. Some report no change, but the procedure is worth a try:
Open your computer’s Control Panel, and find the QuickTime Control Panel. In the “Audio” tab, try the following changes:
Change audio settings to 44.1 kHz and 16 bit resolution, and, if necessary, check the “Safe Mode” box. Apply the new settings, and restart iTunes to see if they’ve made a difference. If not, keep tweaking: different combinations of settings appear to work for different users.
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?
- How do I keep my iPhone calls from ringing on my Mac?
- Why doesn’t Traffic show up on my Today Notifications Screen?
- Why doesn’t my iPhone reconnect to Wi-Fi after I turn it on?
- Why can’t I see the iPad-style landscape view on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- Apple releases fourth developer betas for iOS 9.3.2, tvOS 9.2.1
- Bowers & Wilkins acquired by EVA Automation
- India rejects Apple’s plan to sell used iPhones
- Rumor: Purported iPhone 7 component photo shows headphone jack intact
- Families fight in court over missing teen’s iPhone data
- Court allows police to force woman to unlock iPhone with Touch ID fingerprint
- Coach reportedly releasing bands for Apple Watch
- Invoxia adds Amazon Alexa to Triby
- Apple provides more details on new Apple Music API
- Apple Music for Android adds music videos, Family Plan support
- August Doorbell Cam
- August Smart Lock HomeKit enabled + Smart Keypad
- ecobee3 HomeKit-enabled smart Wi-Fi thermostat
- Zagg Now Cam
- Yantouch EyE Portable Wireless Speaker
- Netatmo Wind Gauge
- Incipio Stashback for iPhone 6/6s
- Schlage Sense Smart Deadbolt with HomeKit support
- ClamCase ClamCase Pro for iPad mini 4
- Brydge BrydgeMini II Keyboard for iPad mini 4
- Filling the Gap: A look at third-party HomeKit apps
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of tvOS 9.2
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 9.3
- Opinion: Why Apple needs a dedicated HomeKit app
- Inside the betas: What’s new in iOS 9.3 and tvOS 9.2 (Updated)
- Life with HomeKit: Our experiences with Apple’s home automation system
- Under the Radar: 10 ‘hidden’ details about the new Apple TV
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 9.0
- Under the Radar: A closer look at smaller iPhone 6s and iPhone 6s Plus changes
- A First Look at iOS 9’s Transit in Apple Maps (Updated for watchOS 2)