Audiobooks on iPod touch
Ask iLounge offers readers the opportunity to get answers to their iPod-, iPhone-, iPad-, iTunes-, or Apple TV-related questions from a member of the iLounge editorial team. We'll answer several questions here each week, and of course, you can always get help with more immediate concerns from the iLounge Discussion Forums. Submit your questions for consideration using our Ask iLounge Submit Form. We reserve the right to edit questions for grammar, spelling, and length.
Q: I have an iPod touch and want to start using audio books. I have downloaded the free Audible App, but in order to get a book, I had to sign up for a monthly membership with Audible.com ($15/mo) plus I saw that one of the current titles cost $27. Is there a cheaper or better way to download CURRENT audio books? I already know that there is a free app for classics, but I’m looking for new titles.
A: The iTunes Store is another possible source of audiobooks online, and sells much of the same content that Audible does. Further, you can also purchase audiobooks directly from Audible.com and synchronize them to your iPod touch in the same way as music and other media content, rather than using the standalone Audible app. Audiobooks from iTunes can also be purchased directly in the iTunes app on your iPod touch.
You may also want to look into more traditional sources of audiobook content such as CDs from your local bookstore or library. You can import an audiobook CD into your iTunes library as you would a music CD and simply adjust a few settings in iTunes to categorize it as an audiobook and keep track of its playback position. Third-party tools are also available that can add chapter markers to longer audiobooks. Check out our Complete Guide to iTunes Audiobooks, Podcasts + iTunes U for more information.
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?
- How do I keep my iPhone calls from ringing on my Mac?
- Why doesn’t Traffic show up on my Today Notifications Screen?
- Why doesn’t my iPhone reconnect to Wi-Fi after I turn it on?
- Why can’t I see the iPad-style landscape view on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- Apple Pay launches promotion and adds eight new partners in Japan
- Google rolling out $35-a-month YouTube web TV service
- Apple releases fourth beta of tvOS 10.2 to developers
- ‘iPhone 8’ to have curved OLED screen, ditch Lightning port for USB-C across all models
- Apple releases fourth betas of iOS 10.3 + watchOS 3.2 to developers
- Third-party screen repairs no longer void iPhone warranty
- iDevices adds dynamic automation, enhanced scheduling to ‘Connected’ app for HomeKit
- Apple reports that iOS 10.2.1 significantly reduces unexpected iPhone 6s shutdown issues
- Mobiata announces sunset of FlightTrack 5 and FlightBoard apps
- Harman announces first Wireless CarPlay implementation
- Soundcast VG1 Bluetooth Speaker
- PureGear PureSwitch HomeKit-enabled Wireless Smart Plug
- 1More Triple Driver In-Ear Headphones
- Revogi Smart Lightbulb, Smart Lightstrip, Smart Candle + Smart Meter Plug
- Audeze iSine10 In-Ear Headphones
- MOCACARE MOCACuff Connected Blood Pressure Monitor
- Apple AirPods
- Elgato Eve Motion
- Olloclip Core Lens Set for iPhone 7/7 Plus
- Logitech Pop Home Switch Starter Pack
- Top Five: The Best Products for Building a Smart Home with HomeKit
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of watchOS 3
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of tvOS 10
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 10
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Photos gets Advanced Computer Vision
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Music app delivers ‘clarity and simplicity’
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Maps gets a major redesign
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 shakes up the user experience
- Inside the betas: watchOS 3 promises a real speed boost
- Inside the betas: A sneak peek at what’s new in tvOS 10