Authorizing iPod Games on new computer
Ask iLounge offers readers the opportunity to get answers to their iPod-, iPhone-, iPad-, iTunes-, or Apple TV-related questions from a member of the iLounge editorial team. We'll answer several questions here each week, and of course, you can always get help with more immediate concerns from the iLounge Discussion Forums. Submit your questions for consideration using our Ask iLounge Submit Form. We reserve the right to edit questions for grammar, spelling, and length.
Q: I just bought the game “Phase” again since I got a new computer, but it won’t put the game on my iPod! It says the game could not be copied to my iPod because I am not authorized for it on this computer!
A: Often when you purchase content from the iTunes Store for the first time on a new computer, the computer is still not automatically authorized for that iTunes Store account. With music and video content, this authorization frequently happens the first time you play the content, but of course with games that’s not an option, as you can’t “play” them in iTunes—they’re only downloaded for transfer to your iPod.
In this case, you simply need to manually authorize your computer by selecting Store, Authorize Computer from the iTunes menu, and entering your iTunes Store user id and password. Once you have done this, any content purchased with that account should transfer to your iPod without any problems.
As an aside, note that when you buy a new computer you do not need to purchase your iPod Games again unless you cannot recover them from the previous computer at all (ie, you’ve lost the files on the original hard drive). You can simply copy any iPod Games from the iPod Games folder on the original computer (located under your “iTunes” folder) to the new computer, and import them in the same way as you would for any other type of media content. You can also transfer any purchased games that are on your iPod back to your computer by ensuring your computer is authorized for your iTunes Store account (as above) and selecting File, Transfer Purchases from the iTunes menu. This will search your iPod for all content purchased with any iTunes Store account for which your computer is authorized and transfer is all back to your computer, including music, videos, games, and iPod touch or iPhone applications.
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?
- How do I keep my iPhone calls from ringing on my Mac?
- Why doesn’t Traffic show up on my Today Notifications Screen?
- Why doesn’t my iPhone reconnect to Wi-Fi after I turn it on?
- Why can’t I see the iPad-style landscape view on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- Screen protector installation now available at Apple Stores
- Russia mulling tax increase on App Store purchases, other Apple services
- Lawyers threaten to sue Apple over ‘Error 53’ codes disabling iPhones
- Apple releases iOS 9.3 beta 3, tvOS 9.2 beta 3, watchOS 2.2 beta 3 to developers
- Indie game ‘The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth’ rejected by Apple over violence toward children
- Apple likely to receive approval to open retail stores in India
- Study finds Apple Watch is best fitness tracker for privacy, security
- Conflicting reports over pink color to be featured in iPhone 5se
- Report: Some third-party repairs ‘bricking’ iPhones with iOS 9
- Report: Apple to bid on NFL Thursday Night Football streaming rights
- Gumdrop Cases DropTech Case for iPad Pro
- Edifier MP700 Rave Portable Bluetooth Speaker
- Just Mobile HoverDock for Apple Watch + HoverDock for iPhone
- VRS Design Dandy Layered Case for iPad Pro
- Just Mobile TENC for iPad Pro
- Native Union DOCK Lightning
- Native Union DOCK for Apple Watch
- Hitcase Pro+ Action Pack and Snap for iPhone 6/6s
- Urban Armor Gear Trooper for iPhone 6/6s
- NEBO CaseBrite for iPhone 6 Plus/6s Plus
- Inside the betas: What’s new in iOS 9.3 and tvOS 9.2 (Updated)
- Life with HomeKit: Our experiences with Apple’s home automation system
- Under the Radar: 10 ‘hidden’ details about the new Apple TV
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 9.0
- Under the Radar: A closer look at smaller iPhone 6s and iPhone 6s Plus changes
- A First Look at iOS 9’s Transit in Apple Maps (Updated for watchOS 2)
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iTunes 12.2
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 8.4 + Apple Music
- CE Week 2015: IK Multimedia, Monowear’s Apple Watch bands + More
- Live From CE Week 2015: Brand New iPad, iPhone + Mac Accessories!