Automating album art and lyrics fetching on Windows
Ask iLounge offers readers the opportunity to get answers to their iPod-, iPhone-, iPad-, iTunes-, or Apple TV-related questions from a member of the iLounge editorial team. We'll answer several questions here each week, and of course, you can always get help with more immediate concerns from the iLounge Discussion Forums. Submit your questions for consideration using our Ask iLounge Submit Form. We reserve the right to edit questions for grammar, spelling, and length.
Q: I have nearly 100GB of music in iTunes, which I’m running on a Windows XP machine. I’m purchasing an iPod with a color screen soon, and I’d like to start filling my library with Album Art. I understand that with AppleScript, Clutter, and many freeware programs, there’s a plethora of ways to do so on the Mac. Is there anything that can help me on the PC?
While I’m at it, in last week’s Ask iLounge, you mentioned using pearLyrics to automate lyrics fetching on the Mac. Again, how about Windows?
A: You’re definitely right - Windows iTunes users still have far fewer options for iTunes add-ons… especially for tagging automation and track management. However, there are at least two software options available that will automate the fetching of album art on a Windows PC, one of which does lyrics, too!
First of these options is iCoverArt from Maximized Software, Inc. This software is $5.00 for unlimited use, and offers a free trial that allows you to fetch and embed album covers into five songs per session. It should be noted that this program does *not* fetch album art from the internet directly, but rather piggy-backs upon the web-scouring work to be done prior by Windows Media Player 9 or 10. Read the iCoverArt Introduction at the link above.
iArt 3.1 from iPodSoft is an option many will find worth the additional $5 premium compared to iCoverArt. This program fetches both album art and lyrics directly from the Internet and embeds each into the appropriate fields in iTunes. The lyrics are placed directly into iTunes 5’s new Lyrics data field, and are transferred to the iPod nano for on-the-go viewing.
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?
- How do I keep my iPhone calls from ringing on my Mac?
- Why doesn’t Traffic show up on my Today Notifications Screen?
- Why doesn’t my iPhone reconnect to Wi-Fi after I turn it on?
- Why can’t I see the iPad-style landscape view on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- Apple Store app update allows purchases from Apple Watch
- Apple releases fifth beta of iOS 10.2 to developers
- Apple reveals cause of unexpected iPhone 6s shutdowns
- Report: 99 percent of fake Apple chargers found to be unsafe
- Apple offering battery replacements for iPhone 6s models with ‘unexpected shutdown issues’ (Updated)
- Report: Fitbit to acquire Pebble
- Apple releases statement on iCloud Calendar spam
- Apple sending out drones to improve Maps data, adding interior building maps
- Tim Cook allegedly tells customer AirPods to ship in ‘next few weeks’
- Apple Pay reportedly launching in Spain tomorrow
- iHome iZBT10 Zenergy Bedside Sleep Therapy Speaker
- Twelve South HiRise Duet for Apple Watch and iPhone
- IK Multimedia iLoud Micro Monitor
- JBL Under Armour Sport Wireless Heart Rate Headphones
- Edifier e235 Luna E Speaker System
- Clamcase ClamCase+ for 9.7” iPad Pro
- Scosche BoomBottle H2O+ Waterproof Wireless Speaker
- Thermos Connected Hydration Bottle with Smart Lid
- Beats Solo3 Wireless On-Ear Headphones
- Creative iRoar Go Portable Bluetooth Speaker
- Top Five: The Best Products for Building a Smart Home with HomeKit
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of watchOS 3
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of tvOS 10
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 10
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Photos gets Advanced Computer Vision
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Music app delivers ‘clarity and simplicity’
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Maps gets a major redesign
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 shakes up the user experience
- Inside the betas: watchOS 3 promises a real speed boost
- Inside the betas: A sneak peek at what’s new in tvOS 10