Automating album art and lyrics fetching on Windows
Ask iLounge offers readers the opportunity to get answers to their iPod-, iPhone-, iPad-, iTunes-, or Apple TV-related questions from a member of the iLounge editorial team. We'll answer several questions here each week, and of course, you can always get help with more immediate concerns from the iLounge Discussion Forums. Submit your questions for consideration using our Ask iLounge Submit Form. We reserve the right to edit questions for grammar, spelling, and length.
Q: I have nearly 100GB of music in iTunes, which I’m running on a Windows XP machine. I’m purchasing an iPod with a color screen soon, and I’d like to start filling my library with Album Art. I understand that with AppleScript, Clutter, and many freeware programs, there’s a plethora of ways to do so on the Mac. Is there anything that can help me on the PC?
While I’m at it, in last week’s Ask iLounge, you mentioned using pearLyrics to automate lyrics fetching on the Mac. Again, how about Windows?
A: You’re definitely right - Windows iTunes users still have far fewer options for iTunes add-ons… especially for tagging automation and track management. However, there are at least two software options available that will automate the fetching of album art on a Windows PC, one of which does lyrics, too!
First of these options is iCoverArt from Maximized Software, Inc. This software is $5.00 for unlimited use, and offers a free trial that allows you to fetch and embed album covers into five songs per session. It should be noted that this program does *not* fetch album art from the internet directly, but rather piggy-backs upon the web-scouring work to be done prior by Windows Media Player 9 or 10. Read the iCoverArt Introduction at the link above.
iArt 3.1 from iPodSoft is an option many will find worth the additional $5 premium compared to iCoverArt. This program fetches both album art and lyrics directly from the Internet and embeds each into the appropriate fields in iTunes. The lyrics are placed directly into iTunes 5’s new Lyrics data field, and are transferred to the iPod nano for on-the-go viewing.
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?
- How do I keep my iPhone calls from ringing on my Mac?
- Why doesn’t Traffic show up on my Today Notifications Screen?
- Why doesn’t my iPhone reconnect to Wi-Fi after I turn it on?
- Why can’t I see the iPad-style landscape view on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- iFixit posts teardown of the new iPad
- Unboxing the new 9.7-inch iPad
- MLB.com At Bat and NHL now allow users to personalize Home Screen icons
- Apple pulls over-the-air iOS 10.3 update for iPhone 5, 5c; iOS 10.3.2 seems to end support for them
- Supplier Responsibility Report, recent hires hint at Project Titan research
- Apple now rejecting apps with references to price in their name
- Apple Pay now live in Taiwan
- Apple releases iOS 10.3.2 beta to developers
- Rumor: Apple may add cellular capability to next Apple Watch, create USB-C/Lightning hybrid
- Urbanears launches new lineup of Wi-Fi Connected Speakers
- AudioQuest NightOwl Carbon Headphones
- ExoLens PRO with Optics by ZEISS Wide-Angle Lens Kit
- Blue Sadie Headphones
- Circle with Disney Parental Control and Internet Filtering System
- Pioneer Rayz Plus Lightning Connector Earphones
- BEEM United BeMe D200 Lightning Connector Earphones
- Jam Audio JAM Xterior Max Rugged Wireless Bluetooth Speaker
- HiFiMAN Edition S Headphones
- Divoom Timebox Mini Bluetooth Speaker
- iClever BoostSound BTS-09 Bluetooth Speaker
- Top Five: The Best Products for Building a Smart Home with HomeKit
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of watchOS 3
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of tvOS 10
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 10
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Photos gets Advanced Computer Vision
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Music app delivers ‘clarity and simplicity’
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Maps gets a major redesign
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 shakes up the user experience
- Inside the betas: watchOS 3 promises a real speed boost
- Inside the betas: A sneak peek at what’s new in tvOS 10