Beginner’s Guide to Sharing iTunes Music | iLounge Article

Article

Beginner’s Guide to Sharing iTunes Music

If you love music, you know that one of the best ways to discover new songs is to hear parts of your friends’ collections. With CDs, it was easy: visit someone’s home and flip through their discs. And with an iPod, it’s even easier: play through any set of headphones or speakers while reading through a list of artists, albums, and genres. But did you know that you can sample and play back songs from a friend’s complete iTunes library located on a separate computer, such as a laptop?

When your computer is on a network, iTunes’ built-in “sharing” feature works in two directions: it lets you open up your music library to others on the same network, and allows you to listen to music files that are on other computers running iTunes. This feature is useful in two types of situations.

A) If your computer is on a local network in a company or shared housing environment (such as a dorm), you can share your music so others can enjoy it, as well as listen to your music on other computers. Similarly, if your computer or network has a WiFi or AirPort wireless card, you may also discover shared iTunes libraries on other wireless networks in your apartment building, or in public places such as airports or coffee shops.

B) If you have several computers at home, you can share your iTunes music libraries from one computer to another. You can either have separate libraries on each computer, belonging, for example, to different family members, or you can have all your music on a single computer that works as a music server for your other computers.

Music sharing is not the same as file sharing, however. When you share music with iTunes, you provide other users with the possibility to listen to your songs, not to copy them or keep them. So let’s look at how iTunes music sharing works, and how you can use it to get more music and share your tunes.

Setting Up iTunes Music Sharing

iTunes includes everything you need to share your music and to connect to other iTunes music libraries. You don’t need any additional software, but you do need to be connected to a network - either wired or wireless. By default, music sharing is not turned on, so you must go to iTunes’ preferences and set up sharing. Select iTunes > Preferences (Mac) or Edit > Preferences (Windows), then click the Sharing icon to access these preferences.

image

The first option in this window tells iTunes to look for shared music. If you check this, iTunes will sniff around on your network to see if other users have turned on sharing with the second option, Share My Music. (Check this second option to share your music with other people.) If they have, iTunes displays the shared music library or libraries in its Source list. Computers must be running iTunes 4.5 or later, and iTunes must be active on the other computers for you to detect shared libraries. If you have a firewall on your computer or network, you’ll need to make sure it allows iTunes music sharing to get through. This Apple technical document tells you how to configure your firewall.

If you share your music, you can choose how much of it you share, and whether you want to allow free access to just anyone. Choose between Share Entire Library and Share Selected Playlists; if you select the former, you’ll provide access to just about everything in your library.

If you choose to only share selected playlists, you can decide what music you want to allow others to listen to. You can create a special playlist of shared music, and only check that playlist, or you can select from the playlists you’ve already made. You can even create special playlists for “radio shows,” featuring your favorite songs, that you can share with others on your network.

You can give your shared library a name, in the bottom of the preferences window, so people know whose music it is; by default, this is [your user name]‘s Music, but you can change it to anything you want. Additionally, you can set a password to restrict access to your library; this can be useful if you have certain friends, say in your dorm, with whom you want to share music, but don’t want to open up your library to everyone. iTunes only allows five users to access your library in a given day, so you may not want strangers to use up those slots.

Listening to Shared Music

If iTunes only finds one shared library, it shows that library by its name. If, however, it finds several libraries on your network, iTunes shows a Shared Music entry in the Source list, under which you’ll see the different libraries available. Click the disclosure triangle to see these shared libraries.

image

Click one of the shared libraries to have iTunes load a list of its music. You can browse the library the same way as you browse your own library, or you can access any of its playlists by clicking the disclosure triangle next to the library name.

image

To listen to a playlist or album, just select the music you want to hear and click the Play button - everything works the same as if the music were on your computer. However, you cannot create playlists from music in a shared library. Also, the source library will not update the play count and last played date, and you cannot set ratings for any of the shared music.

When you’re finished listening to the shared library’s music, you can eject it by clicking the Eject icon next to its name.

image

Or, if you quit iTunes, you’ll disconnect automatically.

If you’re curious about whether your library is being shared, you can find out in the Sharing preferences. At the bottom of this window, you’ll see the current sharing status.

image

In the above example, you can see that sharing is on and that two users are connected. You cannot, however, find out who those users are.

Limits to Sharing

While you can share most of your music, and playing music from a shared library is transparent, there are several limits you need to be aware of. You saw above that only five users can access your iTunes library in a given day.

In addition to this limitation, other users cannot listen to protected music files, including any purchases from the iTunes Music Store - unless their computers are authorized to do so. If you’re sharing music at home, you’ll want to authorize each computer (this means you enter your iTunes Music Store user name and password when asked) so everyone can listen to your purchased music.

You cannot share audiobooks purchased from Audible.com, but you can share audiobooks purchased from the iTunes Music Store. If you listen to an audiobook via music sharing, the file won’t save a bookmark when you stop listening; you’ll need to make a note of the exact time you left off so you can pick up again at the same point in the story.

Finally, you cannot use a shared library as a source for the Party Shuffle playlist, nor can you access music on an iPod connected to another computer on your network. And, because of copyright concerns, you cannot copy music to or from a shared library.

Sharing Music on a Single Computer

While the whole point of sharing an iTunes music library is to share with others, there’s also another way you can use sharing: if you have several user accounts on your computer, and each one has an iTunes music library (such as if several users have their music on the same computer, and sync their iPods from their individual accounts), these libraries show up in iTunes as long as the other account is active (if you have not logged out of the account, but merely switched to another user). This is a good way to listen to your spouse’s or children’s music without having to copy their music files to your iTunes library.

Share Those Tunes

Music should be shared - not by taking someone else’s files, but by letting friends sample the notes and melodies of your favorite artists. Use iTunes music sharing to provide your friends and family with your favorite music, and check out their top tunes as well. You’ll discover lots of new music, and you may turn your friends on to your latest discoveries.

picKirk McElhearn is the author of several books including iPod & iTunes Garage. His blog Kirkville features articles about the iPod, iTunes, Mac OS X and much more.

« The Complete Guide to iTunes’ Podcasts

PHP format music files »

Comments

Sharing only works if both computers are on the same subnet. If you have, for instance, a separate subnet for wireless (for security purposes), it won’t work. Thanks, Apple (not).

Posted by m.s. on July 16, 2005 at 8:09 PM (CDT)

I do not have a membership to itunes, but my niece does.  Is she permitted to download music from itunes, copy it to a CD and then make copies of that CD for others to listen to without that being an infringement to the copyright laws?

Sandy

Posted by Sandy Gurile on June 26, 2008 at 9:19 AM (CDT)

J had an ipod mini and have recently ungraded to a ipod classic as i require more space for new purchases. I have the original itunes library backed up on disc in another country, and want to know if I have two ipods registered to my apple id account is there anyway I can move the music from my ipod mini to my new ipod classic?

Thanks.

Posted by Megan Purtill on July 5, 2008 at 9:03 AM (CDT)

I’ve just bought a new laptop for college. All my music is on the family pc, so i went through the whole process and now the music is shared between my laptop and the family pc. But if i travel outside the network/turn off my WIFI i don’t have music anymore. I’m moving away and would like my music. How can i make the music permanent in my laptop??

Posted by Katelyn Reedey on August 13, 2008 at 5:37 PM (CDT)

When I am sharing/streaming, is there any way to see who is listening to my tunes on the same subnet?

Posted by ee on September 8, 2008 at 7:51 PM (CDT)

I have an IPOD Nano and have purchased many oldies thru I Tunes. Somehow my computer lost some items one of which was the web site I was using to purchase songs
and videos. Could you please send me the web site so I can start recording more songs, thanks. A firend of mine showed me how to do this some tim eback and I feel bad asking his help again

Posted by juergen mcewen on November 30, 2008 at 8:28 PM (CST)

Is there any way to share iTunes music with a friend on the other side of the world?  Would iTunes music sharing work with say, a VPN?

I would love to share my iTunes music on my blog, which I happen to write with Apple’s iWeb.  Is that possible?

Posted by Ferd on December 14, 2008 at 10:30 AM (CST)

wasn’t aware that you couldn’t synch others libary. I downloaded files from girlfriends itunes, is she going to still be able to use her itunes with her ipod or did i freez it by downloading?

Posted by brad on April 20, 2009 at 5:00 PM (CDT)

the same cuestion!!!

Posted by Alejandro Gutierrez on May 23, 2009 at 4:37 PM (CDT)

I have an XP machine, husband has Win7 machine. We are networked. I can share into his iTunes library but he can’t share into mine….all preferences and settings are as they should be and are the same on both machines….how does he get to my iTunes library on my machine? Thanks

Posted by Alison on December 22, 2009 at 7:42 PM (CST)

I have done all my downloading and have my Itunes on my work computer. I always have to bring my ipod to work if I want to add anything to it. Can I also have my whole itunes library on my home computer and add songs there and sync it at home? Of course, how do you do that?

Posted by Tom on January 27, 2010 at 9:09 PM (CST)

I have all my songs in itunes stored on my home desktop pc and just recently purchased an Apple Macbook. How do I add the songs from my pc itunes library to my new mac laptop itunes library?

Posted by Je'an Eason on February 9, 2010 at 4:44 PM (CST)

Going to Europe with my laptop.  Shared playlists with my iMac.  Will they play there?

Posted by Arlette Engel on February 15, 2010 at 9:33 AM (CST)

SAME QUESTION AS #4 & #9

I’ve just bought a new laptop for college. All my music is on my desktop at home (pc), so i went through the whole process and now the music is shared between my laptop and the home pc. But if i travel outside the network/turn off my WIFI i don’t have music anymore. I’m moving away and would like my music. How can i make the music permanent in my laptop??

Posted by jamie danielson on July 4, 2010 at 3:56 PM (CDT)

I have had to restore my laptop a couple of times over the last few years. On my last restore, I noticed the message that I have reached my 5 limit but only have been using the one IPOD? Is there any way to get this reset?

Posted by Jerry McElroy on October 3, 2010 at 11:38 AM (CDT)

i have 2 macs and 1 i tunes acct I followed the home sharing instructions   I usually buy songs on computer downstairs ( same i tunes acct as computer upstairs] I am so irritated that I cannot get purchased music to go on the computer upstairs without burning disc and naming every song then importing it upstairs   Help   ps if i purchased dthe music why the hell does it sometimes it imports as track number and says song couldnt be identified on internet

Posted by chrisit on October 23, 2010 at 10:10 AM (CDT)

I am probably commenting in the wrong discussion but i think it most resembles My Problem. I am trying to put My iTunes onto a external drive to Be Shared to 2 Macs over My AirPort extreme so that i have Complete Control over the Library from both Macs. I have searched Forums and everyone says something different and still cannot put it into plain english.

Posted by Jay on March 13, 2011 at 9:44 AM (CDT)

so cool!

Posted by nike on March 13, 2011 at 9:03 PM (CDT)

i may be wrong but the does the main acct or admin computer that has the original itunes files on it have to be turned on to share?

Posted by fisher on April 10, 2011 at 8:59 PM (CDT)

how do i get to my aoruce list? i changed it so everyone can se my music on both my computers . but i have no clue how to get to the source list to view the music from my other computer?

Posted by alyssa on June 2, 2011 at 2:12 PM (CDT)

Can a friend of mine get access to my iTunes to listen to an audiobook I downloaded ? Using their iPhone that is!  If I give them my password. Thanks

Posted by Mike on January 5, 2012 at 8:32 PM (CST)

screw you apple, my friend has bought all his cds, great cd’s, not even from itunes, and i can’t have them and my music at the same time. sooo lame. dammit.

Posted by Tom on August 27, 2012 at 2:18 AM (CDT)

This was about as helpful as a mentally challenged lizard. All I needed to do was sign into iTunes from another computer, not go through all this sharing business. Great help you are, Apple.

Posted by RainbowButterfly on November 26, 2012 at 6:58 PM (CST)

My wife and I each have Iphones and we want the music on my PC to be copied to our IPhones so we can play it at the gym, etc.  Can that be done with family sharing?  If not, what are our other options?
Thanks.

Posted by David on February 12, 2013 at 5:01 PM (CST)