Bluetooth speaker accessories
Ask iLounge offers readers the opportunity to get answers to their iPod-, iPhone-, iPad-, iTunes-, or Apple TV-related questions from a member of the iLounge editorial team. We'll answer several questions here each week, and of course, you can always get help with more immediate concerns from the iLounge Discussion Forums. Submit your questions for consideration using our Ask iLounge Submit Form. We reserve the right to edit questions for grammar, spelling, and length.
Q: I am looking for the best iPod Bluetooth connection between my iPod & my Apple iPod Hi-Fi docking player so that I can play my music wirelessly. I know that Belkin says they will be coming out with the Bluetooth iPod docking transmitter but that will be realesed sometime in September. I have looked all over and the only devices I have found are iPod transmitters that will transmit to a Bluetooth headset or cell phone. Do you know of anything available right now or should I just wait?
A: Two good options in this area are the Belkin TuneStage 2 (iLounge rating: B+) and Griffin Bluetrip (iLounge rating: B+) which are both available now. However, these options do not use the Dock Connector and therefore require a separate unit to be attached to your speaker system via a normal audio cable, as well as requiring a separate power connection.
At this year’s Macworld Expo, Belkin announced their Bluetooth Dock Adapter for iPod, which received an iLounge Best of Show award for Innovation, and iSkin was previewing their Cerulean TX+RX Stereo Bluetooth Transmitter and Receiver (see our First Look here).
Both of these devices should be available relatively soon, and have the advantage of fitting on the iPod Dock Connector on speakers such as the Apple iPod Hi-Fi, eliminating the need for additional cables and/or power connections. As neither of these devices have yet been released, we have not done a full review of them, however our initial experiences with them on the floor at Macworld were quite positive in terms of usability and sound quality as compared to similar devices.
At this point, the form factor would appear to be the major differentiating factor between the two devices. The Belkin Bluetooth Dock Adapter is the same size and shape as a 5G iPod, meaning that it will be more effective for use in speakers such as the Altec Lansing inMotion iM7 speakers (iLounge rating: A-), which are designed specifically to accommodate a full-sized iPod. On the other hand, the iSkin Cerulean receiver fits very nicely atop the Dock Connector on the iPod Hi-Fi speakers.
At this point both of these products look particularly promising, and we feel that it would certainly be worth waiting, particularly if you want a simple and portable solution for wireless Bluetooth connectivity to a device such as the iPod Hi-Fi.
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?
- How do I keep my iPhone calls from ringing on my Mac?
- Why doesn’t Traffic show up on my Today Notifications Screen?
- Why doesn’t my iPhone reconnect to Wi-Fi after I turn it on?
- Why can’t I see the iPad-style landscape view on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- WSJ: Apple brings in trusted executive Mansfield to head Apple Car project
- CarPlay to be available in all 2017 Ford models
- Rumors claim new iPhone will be released Sept. 16, could have ‘iPhone 6 SE’ name
- Photos claim to show alleged ‘iPad Pro 2’
- Apple to sell limited-edition Olympic Apple Watch bands exclusively in Brazil
- Report: iPhone 7 will include Lightning adapter instead of Lightning EarPods
- Edward Snowden designing device to prevent iPhone wiretapping
- Report: Apple Car team running into challenges, launch may slip to 2021
- Corning announces Gorilla Glass 5
- Apple under fire for providing refurbished replacements under AppleCare+
- Netatmo Tags for Welcome Smart Home Camera
- iDevices Socket HomeKit-enabled Light Adapter
- Koogeek Wi-Fi SmartPlug for Apple HomeKit
- Marbotic Smart Letters for iPad
- Ecoxgear Sol Jam Bluetooth Speaker
- Gumdrop Cases DropTech Case + Hand Strap for 9.7” iPad Pro
- Braven BRV-1M Bluetooth Speaker
- Braven BRV-Blade Bluetooth Speaker
- Invoxia Voice Bridge
- Incase Keyboard Case for iPad Air 2
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Photos gets Advanced Computer Vision
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Music app delivers ‘clarity and simplicity’
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Maps gets a major redesign
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 shakes up the user experience
- Inside the betas: watchOS 3 promises a real speed boost
- Inside the betas: A sneak peek at what’s new in tvOS 10
- Filling the Gap: A look at third-party HomeKit apps
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of tvOS 9.2
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 9.3
- Opinion: Why Apple needs a dedicated HomeKit app