Bluetooth speaker accessories
Ask iLounge offers readers the opportunity to get answers to their iPod-, iPhone-, iPad-, iTunes-, or Apple TV-related questions from a member of the iLounge editorial team. We'll answer several questions here each week, and of course, you can always get help with more immediate concerns from the iLounge Discussion Forums. Submit your questions for consideration using our Ask iLounge Submit Form. We reserve the right to edit questions for grammar, spelling, and length.
Q: I am looking for the best iPod Bluetooth connection between my iPod & my Apple iPod Hi-Fi docking player so that I can play my music wirelessly. I know that Belkin says they will be coming out with the Bluetooth iPod docking transmitter but that will be realesed sometime in September. I have looked all over and the only devices I have found are iPod transmitters that will transmit to a Bluetooth headset or cell phone. Do you know of anything available right now or should I just wait?
A: Two good options in this area are the Belkin TuneStage 2 (iLounge rating: B+) and Griffin Bluetrip (iLounge rating: B+) which are both available now. However, these options do not use the Dock Connector and therefore require a separate unit to be attached to your speaker system via a normal audio cable, as well as requiring a separate power connection.
At this year’s Macworld Expo, Belkin announced their Bluetooth Dock Adapter for iPod, which received an iLounge Best of Show award for Innovation, and iSkin was previewing their Cerulean TX+RX Stereo Bluetooth Transmitter and Receiver (see our First Look here).
Both of these devices should be available relatively soon, and have the advantage of fitting on the iPod Dock Connector on speakers such as the Apple iPod Hi-Fi, eliminating the need for additional cables and/or power connections. As neither of these devices have yet been released, we have not done a full review of them, however our initial experiences with them on the floor at Macworld were quite positive in terms of usability and sound quality as compared to similar devices.
At this point, the form factor would appear to be the major differentiating factor between the two devices. The Belkin Bluetooth Dock Adapter is the same size and shape as a 5G iPod, meaning that it will be more effective for use in speakers such as the Altec Lansing inMotion iM7 speakers (iLounge rating: A-), which are designed specifically to accommodate a full-sized iPod. On the other hand, the iSkin Cerulean receiver fits very nicely atop the Dock Connector on the iPod Hi-Fi speakers.
At this point both of these products look particularly promising, and we feel that it would certainly be worth waiting, particularly if you want a simple and portable solution for wireless Bluetooth connectivity to a device such as the iPod Hi-Fi.
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?
- How do I keep my iPhone calls from ringing on my Mac?
- Why doesn’t Traffic show up on my Today Notifications Screen?
- Why doesn’t my iPhone reconnect to Wi-Fi after I turn it on?
- Why can’t I see the iPad-style landscape view on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- iDevices adds dynamic automation, enhanced scheduling to ‘Connected’ app for HomeKit
- Apple reports that iOS 10.2.1 significantly reduces unexpected iPhone 6s shutdown issues
- Mobiata announces sunset of FlightTrack 5 and FlightBoard apps
- Harman announces first Wireless CarPlay implementation
- Report: Apple still considering several possible wireless charging solutions for ‘iPhone 8’
- Mini Metro adds Endless Mode
- Apple issues statement opposing Trump administration’s rescission of transgender rights
- ResearchKit study conducted using Apple Watch reveals new insights into seizures
- Instagram adds ability to include up to 10 photos or videos in a single post
- Facebook’s talks with MLB raise possibility that game streams could come to Apple TV
- PureGear PureSwitch HomeKit-enabled Wireless Smart Plug
- 1More Triple Driver In-Ear Headphones
- Revogi Smart Lightbulb, Smart Lightstrip, Smart Candle + Smart Meter Plug
- Audeze iSine10 In-Ear Headphones
- MOCACARE MOCACuff Connected Blood Pressure Monitor
- Apple AirPods
- Elgato Eve Motion
- Olloclip Core Lens Set for iPhone 7/7 Plus
- Logitech Pop Home Switch Starter Pack
- Elgato Eve Light Switch
- Top Five: The Best Products for Building a Smart Home with HomeKit
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of watchOS 3
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of tvOS 10
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 10
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Photos gets Advanced Computer Vision
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Music app delivers ‘clarity and simplicity’
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Maps gets a major redesign
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 shakes up the user experience
- Inside the betas: watchOS 3 promises a real speed boost
- Inside the betas: A sneak peek at what’s new in tvOS 10