Ask iLounge offers readers the opportunity to get answers to their iPod-, iPhone-, iPad-, iTunes-, or Apple TV-related questions from a member of the iLounge editorial team. We'll answer several questions here each week, and of course, you can always get help with more immediate concerns from the iLounge Discussion Forums. Submit your questions for consideration using our Ask iLounge Submit Form. We reserve the right to edit questions for grammar, spelling, and length.
Q: I have been using my iPod nano to listen to audiobooks. I have noticed that when I stop at a particular point and listen to something else on my iPod (like a song or podcast) that when I return to my audiobook, it starts at the beginning again. I thought I read in one of the many iPod books that iTunes had a digital bookmark that prevented this from happening. Do you have any suggestions?
A: Yes, there is normally a bookmark within audiobooks that allows you to retain the playback position. This should be automatically present in audiobooks that you purchase from the iTunes Store or Audible.com, however if you’ve encoded your own audiobooks, you may have to enable this settings yourself.
In older versions of iTunes, it was only possible to enable this setting through a special audiobook conversion process, but the good news is that more recent versions of iTunes now allow you to specify this for any type of track rather than just audiobooks, so you could even set your music or video tracks to remember their playback position.
In order to do this, simply select the track in iTunes, and choose File, Get Info. From the resulting dialog box, choose the “Options” tab, and you should see a checkbox labelled Skip when Shuffling:
Simply place a checkmark in this box and click OK. You can also adjust this setting for multiple tracks by choosing several tracks, and then choosing File, Get Info for the group of tracks.
This will not only tell the iPod to remember the playback position of the last track, but will also synchronize the playback position between iTunes and the iPod, and in fact any other Apple device that you sync with the same iTunes library (such as another iPod, an Apple TV, or an iPhone). So you could start listening to an audiobook on your iPod, stop after a few minutes, and then sync your iPod to iTunes and pick up where you left off on your computer (and vice-versa).
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?
- How do I keep my iPhone calls from ringing on my Mac?
- Why doesn’t Traffic show up on my Today Notifications Screen?
- Why doesn’t my iPhone reconnect to Wi-Fi after I turn it on?
- Why can’t I see the iPad-style landscape view on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- Apple releases iOS 9.3 beta 3, tvOS 9.2 beta 3, watchOS 2.2 beta 3 to developers
- Indie game ‘The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth’ rejected by Apple over violence toward children
- Apple likely to receive approval to open retail stores in India
- Study finds Apple Watch is best fitness tracker for privacy, security
- Conflicting reports over pink color to be featured in iPhone 5se
- Report: Some third-party repairs ‘bricking’ iPhones with iOS 9
- Report: Apple to bid on NFL Thursday Night Football streaming rights
- Apple to begin taking broken iPhones for trade-in, offer in-store screen protector installation
- Apple ordered to pay $625M to VirnetX in patent case
- Apple Pay reaches 2 million retail locations
- Gumdrop Cases DropTech Case for iPad Pro
- Edifier MP700 Rave Portable Bluetooth Speaker
- Just Mobile HoverDock for Apple Watch + HoverDock for iPhone
- VRS Design Dandy Layered Case for iPad Pro
- Just Mobile TENC for iPad Pro
- Native Union DOCK Lightning
- Native Union DOCK for Apple Watch
- Hitcase Pro+ Action Pack and Snap for iPhone 6/6s
- Urban Armor Gear Trooper for iPhone 6/6s
- NEBO CaseBrite for iPhone 6 Plus/6s Plus
- Inside the betas: What’s new in iOS 9.3 and tvOS 9.2 (Updated)
- Life with HomeKit: Our experiences with Apple’s home automation system
- Under the Radar: 10 ‘hidden’ details about the new Apple TV
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 9.0
- Under the Radar: A closer look at smaller iPhone 6s and iPhone 6s Plus changes
- A First Look at iOS 9’s Transit in Apple Maps (Updated for watchOS 2)
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iTunes 12.2
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 8.4 + Apple Music
- CE Week 2015: IK Multimedia, Monowear’s Apple Watch bands + More
- Live From CE Week 2015: Brand New iPad, iPhone + Mac Accessories!