Browsing Composer-tagged classical music on the iPod
Ask iLounge offers readers the opportunity to get answers to their iPod-, iPhone-, iPad-, iTunes-, or Apple TV-related questions from a member of the iLounge editorial team. We'll answer several questions here each week, and of course, you can always get help with more immediate concerns from the iLounge Discussion Forums. Submit your questions for consideration using our Ask iLounge Submit Form. We reserve the right to edit questions for grammar, spelling, and length.
Q: I keep lots of classical music on my iPod. For these tracks, I’m not terribly concerned about the “artist,” and so I leave the field blank, tagging only the “Composer” field. This way, they do not show when I go through my iPod’s “Artist” menu, which works great. However, I’m having one problem with this way of operating. To play all of my classical music, I select “Music → Composers → All” from the iPod’s menu, but it lists all of the audio tracks on the iPod, including those with empty “Composer” fields. Why? Do you have a better solution?
A: This is indeed an odd menu behavior that can’t really be changed, but it’s easy to create the functionality you’re looking for.
First of all, the easiest way to browse all of your classical music would be to simply choose “Genre → Classical.” This menu’s default behavior is to show a list of Classical artists (which should be empty for you), then albums (which may not be).
Alternatively, if not all of your “Composer”-tagged tracks are labeled under the “Classical” genre, you could create the following smart playlist to obtain all tracks which have a Composer, and omit those that don’t:
Note that although this would only give you a flat listing of tracks, though you can select in iTunes how you’d like to sort it: sorting by the “Composer” field or “Album” may be the most logical, or, if you’re using the “Grouping” field for the title of the overall classical composition, you could sort using that.
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?
- How do I keep my iPhone calls from ringing on my Mac?
- Why doesn’t Traffic show up on my Today Notifications Screen?
- Why doesn’t my iPhone reconnect to Wi-Fi after I turn it on?
- Why can’t I see the iPad-style landscape view on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- August adds Motion Detection, Video Recording to Doorbell Cam
- Black hat security firm triples exploit bounty to $1.5m in wake of improved iOS 10 security features
- BMW acknowledges Bluetooth problems with iPhone 7
- Apple announces ‘Game of Thrones: Enhanced Edition’ interactive iBooks
- Apple announces App Store Search Ads
- Apple announces iOS business development partnership with Deloitte
- Apple logs iMessage contact info, could be compelled to offer info to police
- Apple reportedly calls in hackers for meeting on bug bounty program
- Apple creating new London headquarters
- Honeywell debuts Lyric T5 HomeKit-enabled smart thermostat
- IK Multimedia iRig HD 2
- 808 Audio XS Sport Rugged Wireless Speaker
- Mass Fidelity Core Bluetooth Speaker
- Thought Out Simplex Tablet iPad Stand
- SmartX Galaxy ZEGA Starter Kit
- Apple iPhone 7 Plus Leather Case
- Apple Watch Series 2
- iPhone 7 and iPhone 7 Plus
- Twelve South HiRise 2 for iPhone + iPad
- Nomad Pod Pro for iPhone and Apple Watch
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of watchOS 3
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of tvOS 10
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 10
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Photos gets Advanced Computer Vision
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Music app delivers ‘clarity and simplicity’
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Maps gets a major redesign
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 shakes up the user experience
- Inside the betas: watchOS 3 promises a real speed boost
- Inside the betas: A sneak peek at what’s new in tvOS 10
- Filling the Gap: A look at third-party HomeKit apps