Burning different CD types
Ask iLounge offers readers the opportunity to get answers to their iPod-, iPhone-, iPad-, iTunes-, or Apple TV-related questions from a member of the iLounge editorial team. We'll answer several questions here each week, and of course, you can always get help with more immediate concerns from the iLounge Discussion Forums. Submit your questions for consideration using our Ask iLounge Submit Form. We reserve the right to edit questions for grammar, spelling, and length.
Q: I cannot copy music from my playlist to a CD or DVD as in the area where it is supposed to show as “Burn CD” it only shows “Burn MP3.” When I try to burn it says it cannot burn a CD. Any suggestions?
A: iTunes supports different formats for burning a CD, and in this case it’s most likely that you have the default format set to burn an “MP3 CD” which basically burns a computer-readable data CD with your tracks stored in raw MP3 format and laid out for CD players that support the MP3 CD format. Note that this format will only allow you to burn files that are already in the MP3 format—it will not convert AAC files or iTunes purchased content into a compatible format for you.
You can find this default setting in your iTunes preferences, under Advanced, Burning:
If you want to burn a standard Audio CD, simply change the format back to “Audio CD” and click the OK button. This will allow you to burn an audio CD that can be played in any standard CD player. Note that you cannot burn Audio DVDs using this method.
Alternatively, if you are looking to backup your music for archival purposes or to copy it to another computer, you should select “Data CD or DVD” which will simply burn the tracks in the selected playlist in whatever format they are current in to a computer-readable data CD or DVD. Note that you won’t be able to actually listen to this CD or DVD on anything but another computer—this setting is intended primarily for archival/backup purposes.
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?
- How do I keep my iPhone calls from ringing on my Mac?
- Why doesn’t Traffic show up on my Today Notifications Screen?
- Why doesn’t my iPhone reconnect to Wi-Fi after I turn it on?
- Why can’t I see the iPad-style landscape view on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- iDevices adds dynamic automation, enhanced scheduling to ‘Connected’ app for HomeKit
- Apple reports that iOS 10.2.1 significantly reduces unexpected iPhone 6s shutdown issues
- Mobiata announces sunset of FlightTrack 5 and FlightBoard apps
- Harman announces first Wireless CarPlay implementation
- Report: Apple still considering several possible wireless charging solutions for ‘iPhone 8’
- Mini Metro adds Endless Mode
- Apple issues statement opposing Trump administration’s rescission of transgender rights
- ResearchKit study conducted using Apple Watch reveals new insights into seizures
- Instagram adds ability to include up to 10 photos or videos in a single post
- Facebook’s talks with MLB raise possibility that game streams could come to Apple TV
- PureGear PureSwitch HomeKit-enabled Wireless Smart Plug
- 1More Triple Driver In-Ear Headphones
- Revogi Smart Lightbulb, Smart Lightstrip, Smart Candle + Smart Meter Plug
- Audeze iSine10 In-Ear Headphones
- MOCACARE MOCACuff Connected Blood Pressure Monitor
- Apple AirPods
- Elgato Eve Motion
- Olloclip Core Lens Set for iPhone 7/7 Plus
- Logitech Pop Home Switch Starter Pack
- Elgato Eve Light Switch
- Top Five: The Best Products for Building a Smart Home with HomeKit
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of watchOS 3
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of tvOS 10
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 10
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Photos gets Advanced Computer Vision
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Music app delivers ‘clarity and simplicity’
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Maps gets a major redesign
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 shakes up the user experience
- Inside the betas: watchOS 3 promises a real speed boost
- Inside the betas: A sneak peek at what’s new in tvOS 10