burning MP3 CDs with AAC files
Q: I have a car stereo that plays MP3s, so I’d like to burn MP3 CD’s from my iTunes Library. I ripped a bunch of tracks, but iTunes won’t let me burn an MP3 CD. It will allow me to burn a data CD, but that won’t play in my car. Is there some way I can burn an MP3 CD? The error message it gives me doesn’t make much sense, telling me the tracks I’ve ripped are not MP3-ready. Clearly what I’ve ripped is some sort of MP3 if I can put them on my iPod.
A: You’ve likely imported your iTunes Library using the AAC format, which is iTunes’ shipping default. To check whether or not this is the case, simply select any song you’ve ripped from a CD recently, and choose “Get Info” from iTunes’ “File” menu. On the “Summary” tab, if you see “Kind: AAC audio file,” then this is the case. An MP3 file would display “Kind: MPEG audio file.”
iTunes knows that when you ask for an “MP3” CD, it should only burn MP3s, precisely to ensure that all songs in the selection will be compatible with MP3 CD-capable stereos. A “Data CD,” as you’ve discovered, will burn any format track for backup purposes.
How can you create MP3 versions of your songs, such that you can burn MP3 CDs? You’re not going to like our answer: you have two choices. Our recommendation, depending on the number of CDs you’ve imported, is to rip them all again in MP3 format. (Change the format to MP3 in iTunes’ “Preferences → Advanced → Importing” panel).
If that doesn’t sound appealing, you can use iTunes’ mass conversion features, if you have room for a duplicate copy of your music library on your hard drive. To do this, change your Importing format to MP3 (as above). Then, select all the songs you’d like to convert to MP3 in your iTunes Library window. Next, select “Convert Selection to MP3” from iTunes’ “Advanced” menu. Finally, you’re free to delete the original AAC versions of the tracks that iTunes left behind.
Why don’t we recommend this second option? Well, conversion between formats usually results in some loss in sound quality. If you don’t mind this risk, then the second option is certainly easier.
For more information about MP3 and AAC formats, see our Beginner’s Guide to Compressing your CDs here.
If you have a comment, news tip, advertising inquiry, or coverage request, a question about iPods/iPhones/iPad or accessories, or if you sell or market iPod/iPhone/iPad products or services, read iLounge's Comments + Questions policies before posting, and fully identify yourself if you do. We will delete comments containing advertising, astroturfing, trolling, personal attacks, offensive language, or other objectionable content, then ban and/or publicly identify violators.
- Apple, others likely to reach $415M settlement in poaching lawsuit [Update: settlement approved]
- Apple and HBO in talks for ‘HBO Now’ service launch
- Report: Next-gen ‘iPhone 6s’ to feature 2GB RAM, Apple SIM
- Apple looking to settle with electric car battery company
- Apple pushing out fix next week for ‘FREAK’ security flaw
- Report: Apple Watch retail strategy aims to push iPhone sales
- Apple back on top in phone sales for first time since 2011
- Phishing scam targets iCloud credentials of iOS device theft victims
- Apple adds vehicles to list of company’s activities in Switzerland
- Cook: Apple Watch to be available outside U.S. in April
- Uniq Aircraft+ for iPhone 6
- Speck MightyShell + Faceplate for iPhone 6 Plus
- Mobile Home Siri remote
- Olloclip Macro 3-in-1 Lens, Telephoto + CPL Lens for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- ExoLens Professional Photography System for iPhone 6
- Incipio offGRID Shine for iPhone 6
- Seidio Obex for iPhone 6
- RooCase GlacialTough for iPhone 6 Plus, VersaTough for iPhone 6 + 6 Plus
- CM4 Q Card Case for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- iWalk Extreme Trio 10,000 Universal Battery
- Can I transfer the existing version of an app to my new iPhone?
- How do I quickly erase all of the contacts on my old iPhone?
- How do I disassociate my phone number from iMessage?
- How do I stop Siri from randomly waking up?
- How do I cancel a print job on iOS?
- How do I make my camera LED flash when my iPhone rings?
- How do I re-sync contacts to my vehicle after switching to a new iPhone?
- How do I move away from a shared Apple ID for iMessage?
- How do I consolidate iTunes purchases into a single account?
- How can I more easily Handoff a web page from my Mac to my iPhone?